Aug 14, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Hello,
We are off in about two weeks for a 4 months drive with our campervan. Our first trip with it.

We will go around the Balkans and around. We will probably be off grid often and with winter coming, I was wondering what board or cards games, would you recommend. It has to be suitable for two players.
I am not keen on scrabble ( I am french and husband English so a bit hard in either language for one of us) or chess. I prefer strategy board games like Civilisation. I am tempted to buy Splendor and was looking at Pandemic. Although the board game seems quite big to fit in our small table.
Any games you can recommend to fill the long autumn and winter evenings?

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Backgammon ? Our set lives in the van. Great game to play over a glass of ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Rumikub is good and we play cribbage which is a card game designed for two players if you Google play crib on line you can learn the game playing against the computer
We were away three months and played three games most nights and kept score

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Rumikub is good and we play cribbage which is a card game designed for two players if you Google play crib on line you can learn the game playing against the computer
We were away three months and played three games most nights and kept score

I love Rumikub too ... and Scrabble. Boggle and Bananagrams are other word games.

Upvote 0

timontrak

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony
Exp
10 years
If you like strategy games, then we tend to keep the following in our van, as they don't take up too much room, and most of them can be played with two people:

Carcassonne
Port Royal
Mapominoes
Love Letter
Hanabi
Hive
Ganz Schon Clever
Codewords
The Mind
Coloretto
Patchwork

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you are very brave doing a balkan winter in a van conversion. freezing water tanks, split water heaters and taps, gas issues including very high usage to keep warm

you will be having too much fun to think of playing board games

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Not a board game. Our family like Jenka with penalties. (Chose your own)

Know what I mean wink ?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Or, invite the neighbours for strip poker?

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Backgammon and dominoes are our go to games for quite nights , with a glass of wine of course.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Cribbage, dobble , banagrams, and rummikubs live in our van

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Maria41

Maria41

Free Member
Aug 14, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I am a newbie
Hi guys thanks for all the recommendations. I will check all those and buy few. My husband is not too much of a player while I love cards and games (and video RPG and war games)! I hope to convert him this autumn.

The BigOne, if it gets too cold in Albania or the black sea coast of Bulgaria we will go down to Greece. Surely we can find some non freezing places! If it gets too much we can always rent a cheap flat for few weeks. I can't imagine it will be very expensive?
Never been to the down that way yet so it will be interesting. With my luck it will be the coldest winter ever in memory!

Every trip on our motorbikes we have always had exceptionally bad weather the moment we rode out! :D
We are off in about 10 days so we shall see!

Upvote 0

curatesegg

Free Member
Sep 8, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
If you like strategy games, then we tend to keep the following in our van, as they don't take up too much room, and most of them can be played with two people:

Carcassonne
Port Royal
Mapominoes
Love Letter
Hanabi
Hive
Ganz Schon Clever
Codewords
The Mind
Coloretto
Patchwork

I'm new to campervans but well into modern boardgames and was excited to see this list, excellent recommendations.

I would add Battleline (also known as Schotten Totten), Biblios, Shobu, and Jaipur. These are all easy to learn and play.

For something with more strategy but still accessible I would recommend Targi and if you can get past the ugliness, Castles of Burgundy is a great way into Modern board gaming.

Be warned though for some people once they go down the modern board gaming rabbit hole it can become a little addictive.

Maz - you recommended Grand Austria Hotel, that made my day. I never thought I'd see that on a forum outside of boardgamegeek!

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maz - you recommended Grand Austria Hotel, that made my day. I never thought I'd see that on a forum outside of boardgamegeek!
Hi curatesegg and w2f

Please, please do join Fun as a full member. :Smile: That way you can join in with rallies and meets when you get your van. Myself and my friend Jane are currently on our own little board game meet at Ferry Meadows - playing GAH amongst others.(y)

Upvote 0

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
We like “Ticket to Ride”, 2 to 5 players. Better for more than 2 I think , but you could play 2 hands each!
Find your way around Europe

Upvote 0

curatesegg

Free Member
Sep 8, 2019
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Hi curatesegg and w2f

Please, please do join Fun as a full member. :Smile: That way you can join in with rallies and meets when you get your van. Myself and my friend Jane are currently on our own little board game meet at Ferry Meadows - playing GAH amongst others.(y)

Oh go on then, £15 well spent I think.

I will certainly be using the van for game conventions of all sizes!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back