Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Ok here's the story,,,,,

Was going to Whitby and dragging Eddie & Di (family guy) and Pat & Jan (Pat & Jan :whatthe:) with us however its all been taken over so now looking elsewhere.

I like Whitby because it was somewhere we could of just wandered in to a fine town whenever we wanted. So any other similar places you would want to reccomend? Can be absoloutly anywhere you like in the UK. thinking of Dumfires or similar.

If stuck we will be using a nice haven site in Cornwall with nice facilities and cheap but I fancied a bash at something new.

So remember,,, need to be able to walk in to town, the town must be worth walking in to, we Have 4 kids and 4 dogs so needs to be suitable for them, prefer a seaside (ish) resort,

Anywhere you like?

get posting, please.:thumb:

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Wow aint fun Great,,,,

here looks like the place we need.

Link Removed

Found it in the motorhomefun Sites section.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Durdle Door camp site is supposed to be very good, Paul, but there are no towns within walking distance, only small villages.

We've never used the camp site but know the area from taking part in civil war re-enactment events at Lulworth Castle.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So remember,,, need to be able to walk in to town, the town must be worth walking in to, we Have 4 kids and 4 dogs so needs to be suitable for them, prefer a seaside (ish) resort,

Anywhere you like?

get posting, please.:thumb:

Ambleside - it's IN the town. No facilities but the town and the lake has everything. Take your wife on a cruise.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
There is Searles ( http://www.searles.co.uk/ ) at Hunstanton on the North Norfolk coast near Kings Lynn.

Has plenty of facilities and a nice beach / promenade walk to the town. Plenty to do in the local area such as seal watching.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
If you like CC sites, and I do, then there are Berwick, Melrose or a bit further afield Ayr and Killin. All within easy walking distance of the town centres.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Paul

Id recommend Dumfries me being from there for you but no sites in town nearest one about 6miles away. There are a few really nice ones around though you could try and go on the dumgal website as the council have sites one in Lochmaben right on the loch and only 15 mins by bus to dumfries (good bus service) Lochmaben is a nice small town large village with pubs couple of shops and golf course, aslo only 5 miles from Lockerbie. Or you could try Castle Douglas council site is hard standing on the loch and on the edge of the town. Castle Douglas is the food town of Scotland and has loads of quirky little shops and some lovely food. Loads to do for the kids and you can fish on the loch for free i think. Castle douglas is 15miles past Dumfries on the A75 and if you wanted a night in Dumfries it is fine to park at the dock park over night or even on the main carpark in town quite a few vans stay here and some are there for 2 or 3 nights no problem. Id offer you my garden but dont think id get 3 of you on :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Out of the 2 i have mentioned Castle douglas would be best as its a bigger town so no need for bus and im sure your kids would enjoy it. If you need anymore info feel free to ask.

If you do come up this way let me no might pop over and say hi.

Gerry

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
If you havent tried this one, its well worth it with the children

www.searles.co.uk

On Saturday 30th there is a charity auction and if last year is anything to go by there are some great bargains and big prizes to be had.

There is a little train to take you into town if you dont fancy walking

The toilets and site are kept very clean, entertainment during the day and night for children and adults. Sandy beach literally across the road.

Let me know what you decide we still arent sure either.

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Not much to do at Durdle Door,nice site, quite expensive, nice waks but no small town to walk to, Lulworth is nice bay but no nice town to walk to. we love this part of the country.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
http://www.beaconhilltouringpark.co.uk/

Never been here, but it is dog firendly, close to Poole (3 miles) so you have a town, quick ferry across to Wareham/Lulworth areas should you wish to move on.
Wareham has a nice river, where they hire boats, and a pub quayside. The home of 'Animal' clothing, not alot in wareham, but quayside is nice. Wareham woods nearby for dog walks. Bit further down you have the wonders of Tyneham Village and has the Tank Museum, Monkey World, Lawrence of Arabia and Thomas Hardy all around that sort of area.

There is also blue pool nearby, brownsea island, and a short ride away is Bournemouth.

Plenty to do if the weather gets a little grotty!:thumb:

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
If you take Hilldweller Brians advice, then there is also Coniston site too, by the lake and a short walk into Coniston...big fires, real ale, and meat and tatty pie to die for.
The Lake district is brill, but im not sure about the winter months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back