Home Insurance - Maximum Period of Unoccupancy (2 Viewers)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
To be clear, this thread relates to HOME INSURANCE, not Motorhome insurance.

I’m about to renew our home insurance and wanted to understand with whom those who over-winter in warmer climes insure their homes.

It seems that most insurers limit the period that a property is unoccupied to a maximum of 60 consecutive days.

If you have a provider that allows more than 60 consecutive days, I’d be keen to know which insurers provide this level of cover.

I have tried a search on the forum but didn’t find any threads.

Ian

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We use the Caravan Club which I believe had 90 days as the base cover, you can however extend it at no cost but with some conditions such as keeping the house at a certain temperature and someone visiting on a regular basis.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think most home policies have 30-day restrictions. Some people argue that because a neighbour or family member visits then the 30 days resets, but I wouldn't want to challenge that in court. They might want an additional premium or refuse to cover while you are away Then you'll need to get unoccupied property insurance and if that includes contents then it can be expensive. I think lots of people just cross their fingers and hope nothing happens while they are away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think most home policies have 30-day restrictions. Some people argue that because a neighbour or family member visits then the 30 days resets, but I wouldn't want to challenge that in court. They might want an additional premium or refuse to cover while you are away Then you'll need to get unoccupied property insurance and if that includes contents then it can be expensive. I think lots of people just cross their fingers and hope nothing happens while they are away.

Yes, I can see that that would seem like a common workaround. But, as you say, prone to challenge by insurers.

Ian

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Camping & Caravanning club is 180 days unoccupied.

For that all we need to do is turn the mains water off. We have used them because of this for a few years now

Razamataz

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2018
Dunfermline, Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7400plus
Exp
Since March 2018
I with Saga who offer 60 days as standard . They gave me an extension of 90 days for the added policy price of £19.99.
All we had to do is drain all water tanks and turn off at the mains.
My neighbor called in every week.
Easy peazy ??

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
Co-op, can't remember if their standard insurance is 30 or 60 days, I was told by the sales agent that if someone spent the night before the allowed nights away finished they would reboot.
When I rang back to buy the insurance a second agent confirmed this was correct, I also asked if the conversation was recorded which was confirmed, the co-op are the own underwriters.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Co-op, can't remember if their standard insurance is 30 or 60 days, I was told by the sales agent that if someone spent the night before the allowed nights away finished they would reboot.
When I rang back to buy the insurance a second agent confirmed this was correct, I also asked if the conversation was recorded which was confirmed, the co-op are the own underwriters.
Yes the Co-op is 60 days. What is good with the Co-op is if you use their online chat for a query they will email you a transcribe of the chat so you have a record.

A lot of companies will extend the period if you ask.
As mentioned C&CC are 180 days but for us the premium was 4 times what we currently pay.

If you use agents like Saga who often change underwriters you need to check the policy each year as it often changes with change of underwriter.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I phoned and spoke to my Insurers.
They increased to 6 months for a small additional premium, but someone had to check my home weekly.
I also could empty my heating system, or leave on a constant 15 degrees, which I did.
As doors were kept closed the bill wasn't too bad
Speak to them.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
NFU cover us for 90 days subject to an identified person (neighbour) calling in weekly and central heating set to come below 10 degrees between 1 Nov and end March. They check with underwriters every time.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Yes the Co-op is 60 days. What is good with the Co-op is if you use their online chat for a query they will email you a transcribe of the chat so you have a record.

As mentioned C&CC are 180 days but for us the premium was 4 times what we currently pay.

If you use agents like Saga who often change underwriters you need to check the policy each year as it often changes with change of underwriter.

That’s encouraging.

Have obtained an on-line quote and they’re coming out competitive. I’m waiting for an update from my current insurer before proceeding.

Ian

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I phoned and spoke to my Insurers.
They increased to 6 months for a small additional premium, but someone had to check my home weekly.
I also could empty my heating system, or leave on a constant 15 degrees, which I did.
As doors were kept closed the bill wasn't too bad
Speak to them.

Thanks Sue. I’m in dialogue with them but they think it will be expensive. I’ll find out tomorrow.

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That’s encouraging.

Have obtained an on-line quote and they’re coming out competitive. I’m waiting for an update from my current insurer before proceeding.

Ian
We live in what is classed as a high risk flood area Co-op were less than half the price of anyone else and on renewal premium dropped another £60.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are with Sunlife for up to 90 days away, although I believe they will do longer subject to an increased premium of course, the insurance cost us £221.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, I use Churchill.
£145 for the yearly policy with 180 days away.
Water and elec have to be off ,if you do not have the central heating set to come on, when temps drop below 10 degrees and someone has to visit once every 7 days.

Cheers Cris.

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
NFU cover us for 90 days subject to an identified person (neighbour) calling in weekly and central heating set to come below 10 degrees between 1 Nov and end March. They check with underwriters every time.

NFU told me yesterday it was only 60 days !
But to have someone to sleep over makes another 60 days!

A. How would they know if someone actually did
B. Is that not naughty.

Last edited:

MotorhomersRus

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2010
Barnoldswick
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line
Exp
bigtwin
This exactly what we are looking into at the moment, so your post saves me posting so will be following it with interest.
Our Tesco insurance covered us last winter to leave the house for 5/6 months but unfortunately they won’t repeat it.
So on the hunt for a new insurance now.
Will let you know what I find out.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We are with Sunlife for up to 90 days away, although I believe they will do longer subject to an increased premium of course, the insurance cost us £221.

I’d take that premium!

Ian

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, I use Churchill.
Water and elec have to be off ,if you do not have the central heating set to come on, when temps drop below 10 degrees and someone has to visit once every 7 days.

Cheers Cris.

And that one!

Ian

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to add to the above, there's no stipulation that anyone has to visit during the 90 days' unoccupation period although of course we do have hubby's Dad popping in to check post etc every now and then. We do have to turn water off and/or leave heating on low if it's over winter though.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Spoke to them this morning and apparently they no longer go beyond 45 days.

C’est la vie!

Ian

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, I use Churchill.

Cheers Cris.

Spoke with them this morning and the only way they would extend from their standard 60 days to 90 days if someone stays in the property 4 days per week! I indicated that if someone stays 4 days per week then the property isn’t unoccupied!

Ian

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

Just spoke with the Co-op and they confirmed that the clock resets if someone stays overnight at the property within the 60 day period.

Looks as though they may well get the business.

Ian

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just spoke with the Co-op and they confirmed that the clock resets if someone stays overnight at the property within the 60 day period.

Looks as though they may well get the business.

Ian
That's good, with a lot of companies it has to be someone who normally resides there.

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
bigtwin
NFU states that
But will they want proof ?
In the event of a claim

Was this for me? When I spoke to the NFU they wouldn’t offer cover beyond 60 days.

In terms of the Co-op resetting the clock there was an implication that any clock resetting would need to be verifiable.

This could reasonably be verifiable by use of the landline telephone (and, if paranoid, by calling their insurance line).

Ian

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We used to insure the house through Lloyd’s - when we asked about maximum unoccupancy period the young man on the phone said, in all seriousness, that we had to leave the burglar alarm on and turn off the electric! We pointed out that the former’s batteries only lasted for 24-36 hours...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back