Nationwide at it already? (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi,
Now in Spain and went into local town Conil de la Frontera to get some cash. Always used ServiceRed ATM's with my NW debit card, no probs. Sticks in card and just before end of transaction "there is a 2.5% charge for this"!! Press cancel and used my CaxtonFX, no chardges.
Has NW jumped the gun i.e. due to start charging 1st November, or has something changed over here?

JK

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
People are gonna get angry as the rich and the government (one and the same) clamp down on us...I smell revolution...

it's starting in France... over very little ..

can't beat a good revolution to clean the scum out .. off with their heads I say .. we must be due one, it's been a good 360 years since the last !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
...and bringing it back on topic :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

Are there any other UK bank cards that can be used in Spain for withdrawing cash from machines with no penalties/charges?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know I can use the Post Office card for transactions without penalty but unsure if cash can be withdrawn.. I suspect not :Sad:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Why should a Bank, which, after all is a business with every right to make money on their investments, be expected to provide very valuable services to the public such as ATM'S for free.

It doesnt make sense..

Jim

::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why should a Bank, which, after all is a business with every right to make money on their investments, be expected to provide very valuable services to the public such as ATM'S for free.

It doesnt make sense..

Jim

er simply Jim they have my money, they invest it, why should I pay to get my own money back. Makes sense to me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

It doesnt make sense..

Jim

Because they make VAST profits from YOUR money .. and it's not free if they don't' pay interest on your current account.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Hi,
Now in Spain and went into local town Conil de la Frontera to get some cash. Always used ServiceRed ATM's with my NW debit card, no probs. Sticks in card and just before end of transaction "there is a 2.5% charge for this"!! Press cancel and used my CaxtonFX, no chardges.
Has NW jumped the gun i.e. due to start charging 1st November, or has something changed over here?

JK

Mentioned this post to Mrs. JayDee and it rang a bell with her. She has just come off the phone to Nationwide to query the rates and charges and has come up with the following:-

As of 1st November 2010...

On Visa Debit Card for cash withdrawals from an ATM there will be a £1 charge per withdrawal. However for Purchases using Visa Debit there will be a 2% commission charge. (It will be cheaper, therefore, to use the Nationwide Visa Credit Card for purchases.

The advisor that my wife spoke to believes that the charge being levied at the ATM you were using was imposed by the owner of the ATM (similar to some of the CashPoint ATMs in UK), though why you were not charged for your other card I don't know.

At least now we know (or not::bigsmile::RollEyes:)

John

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As I have said many times before, banks dont have any money. The only money they have is ours,which they use to make money.
Why should they charge me to draw my own money out???.
They now give me a pitance in interest and want to charge me to take it out...somthing wrong here.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Well I think youre all being a bit harsh. Whats £1.00 per withdrawal.
Jim
:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well I think youre all being a bit harsh. Whats £1.00 per withdrawal.
Jim
:winky:

LOL !
Welll.. As a starter its a hundred quid over a 100 withdrawal period :ROFLMAO:

Whilst I am happy for banks to make a profit to feed their needs so to speak ( pay wages, no matter how high, pay runing costs etc etc ) the bonus culture really must stop.
Until it does pretty much all and any moans about this sort of thing ( ATM's etc ) is perfectly valid in my opinion.
To me, a tiny percentage of each quidlet that is taken from my pocket is given to a bossman FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON WHAT SO EVER.

They do not earn it, they do not deserve it, and to be honest, it is pretty damned obvious they really do not need it !

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Quidlet eh, thats a good word :roflmto:. I think I'll use that one myself. One quidlet per one hundred quidlets withdrawal, very generous I'd say. Thats even less than the cost of a cuppa.
Jim
:roflmto:

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Ok sensible suggestion...not researched..not thought out..open to ridicule..here3 goes.

Your withdraw euros free from your own bank here..if you have that facility. then deposit them in euros in a euro bank account...someone must operate one somewhere in the uk???

Get a cash card from them.
And bobs ya uncle.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
if we are all part of the european comminity...and money is just money...then I wonder if the banks are infringing the spirit of the community by charging citizens to convert.?

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Well Arry, there must be something in that post that deserves some merit, however, it may take me a while to suss it out. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Jim

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09

It doesnt make sense..

Jim

Because in many areas the banks have closed their branches forcing us to use the ATMs. ATMs were installed for the benefit of the banks not the benefit of the retail customer. We are in fact being made to pay for what is a reduced service (if ATM charges become the norm), bring back the cashiers I say.

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Mentioned this post to Mrs. JayDee and it rang a bell with her. She has just come off the phone to Nationwide to query the rates and charges and has come up with the following:-

As of 1st November 2010...

On Visa Debit Card for cash withdrawals from an ATM there will be a £1 charge per withdrawal. However for Purchases using Visa Debit there will be a 2% commission charge. (It will be cheaper, therefore, to use the Nationwide Visa Credit Card for purchases.

The advisor that my wife spoke to believes that the charge being levied at the ATM you were using was imposed by the owner of the ATM (similar to some of the CashPoint ATMs in UK), though why you were not charged for your other card I don't know.

At least now we know (or not::bigsmile::RollEyes:)

John
Facts are:- As from 1st November using a NW debir card at an ATM in Europe will cost you £1 PLUS 2.5%/ withdrawal. Also 2.5% charge on every use of debit card i.e like a credit card on any purchases. Correct, using NW Credit Card on other transactions, no charge, how weird is that?
As I said in the post I have used the NW debit card at ServiceRed in Spain for years with no charge by them and as they did not charge me using my CaxtonFX (Santander ATM's do BTW) must be down to NW charging already.
JK

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Guys
Its not a bank its a Building Society, I raised concerns some time ago.
a) They do not offer any better savings interest rates than any of the High Street Banks.
b) They do not offer any cheaper loans.
c) They do not pay a dividend of any sorts to their members.
I can tell you that they are vastly overstaffed in Swindon, pampered in the extreme and they intend closing a large number of agencies.

Besides that they have a really crap tv advert, which I hate.

There is something not quite right at Nationwide... I cant out my finger on it.

ShiftZZ

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
...and bringing it back on topic :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

Are there any other UK bank cards that can be used in Spain for withdrawing cash from machines with no penalties/charges?

There is one Bryan but you have to live 'up North' before they will give it to you. :ROFLMAO:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
There is one Bryan but you have to live 'up North' before they will give it to you. :ROFLMAO:

How far up north? I'm not exactly from darn sarf so care to elaborate?

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Guys
Its not a bank its a Building Society, I raised concerns some time ago.
a) They do not offer any better savings interest rates than any of the High Street Banks.
b) They do not offer any cheaper loans.
c) They do not pay a dividend of any sorts to their members.
I can tell you that they are vastly overstaffed in Swindon, pampered in the extreme and they intend closing a large number of agencies.

Besides that they have a really crap tv advert, which I hate.

There is something not quite right at Nationwide... I cant out my finger on it.

ShiftZZ
You are spot on about this organisation, if it looks like a bank, behaves like a bank, smells like a bank then it is in essence a bank. I have been a Nationwide customer for many years and seen, over time, the way the executives have rewarded themselves and ensured that, at elections, potential dissidents are squeezed out. The customers are the shareholders with no real effective say in the way it is run. The products become more uncompetitive every year, teaser savings rates, useless add ons to current accounts. Five years ago the Flex account debit card could be used in ATMs across Europe to withdraw Euros without charge and at a competitive exchange rate, the reason for stopping this, Nationwide claimed that too many people were opening Flex accounts only for European travel and not using it for any other banking service. New one to add to the banking book of excuses.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Deleted User
Nationwide have been charging £1 + 2% for foreign currency withdrawals since March 2011.
As far as the credit card goes they did stop the free purchases for new holders at the same time, don't know if this is still the case, mine is still free but I have had it a while.

I opened a N&P Gold account while in the UK this summer, free foreign currency withdrawals if £500 a month paid in.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are lots of benefits you should take a closer look.
I have checked it out thoroughly and although I have had a Nationwide flex account for many years, which is free and gives me the exact same benefits that the Flexplus gives apart from the breakdown cover, which incidental is of no use to me whatsoever as am way over 3.5 tons. I do object to paying banks to look after MY money. It always used to be the other way round in the UK.
Now if you had quoted Santander bank that would be a different story as they actually pay ME 3% to look after MY money, and to top this they also pay the bank rate, NOT the tourist rate with no charges when I draw MY money out of the ATM in Spain. Good eh (y)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
So will I get charged for using my Caxton card to withdraw my own money I loaded the card with before I left the UK, and Caxton have been earning interest on?

I have also a PO credit card will I get charged commission/surcharge on this one ?

colyboy

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I have checked it out thoroughly and although I have had a Nationwide flex account for many years, which is free and gives me the exact same benefits that the Flexplus gives apart from the breakdown cover, which incidental is of no use to me whatsoever as am way over 3.5 tons. I do object to paying banks to look after MY money. It always used to be the other way round in the UK.
Now if you had quoted Santander bank that would be a different story as they actually pay ME 3% to look after MY money, and to top this they also pay the bank rate, NOT the tourist rate with no charges when I draw MY money out of the ATM in Spain. Good eh (y)
It seems that the limit has gone up to 7.5 tonnes, now, see the posts about M/Home vs Car breakdown cover on here.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Me too. I got £2/18/4 per week. Gave me mum £2 and I had the 18 shillings and 4 pence.
Jim

Hang on let me get my tissues out. BUSBY.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back