Good or Bad idea? (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi

We need some accommodation for 3 months from December here in the UK to tie in a house sale with a new build completion. We have be planning to buy an A class MH around 8 metres in length anyway. We are a family of 4 ( 2 kids 10 and 6 ) and 2 dogs.

House rentals don't like less than 6 months ( dogs also a problem ). Suitable short term rentals are around £3000 per month.

One option I have is a 3 month seasonal pitch at a nice site at a reasonable rate.

The kids are dead excited to be living in a MH for 3 months. What are the drawbacks ( obvious and not so obvious? ) Or, would it be a great adventure?

Thanks

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
it sounds a good solution, a great adventure I say !
However, before you buy, check that you have the C1 category on your driving licence for vehicles over 3500 kg.

Ensure that seasonal pitch is available in those winter months and find out if you can put up an awning or tent so that you have somewhere to dry wet clothes and muddy boots ....... and muddy dogs !

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I feel guilty suggesting it ... but would a large caravan not suit the purpose just as well and be a lot cheaper?

There, I've said it ... now I shall go and wash my mouth out and say ten hail Marys.:laughing:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
it sounds a good solution, a great adventure I say !
However, before you buy, check that you have the C1 category on your driving licence for vehicles over 3500 kg.

Ensure that seasonal pitch is available in those winter months and find out if you can put up an awning or tent so that you have somewhere to dry wet clothes and muddy boots ....... and muddy dogs !

Thanks

Yes I am of that age where I have C1 on my licence. I have seen the pitch, It's level, 11m x 11m hardstanding and price includes awning, 2 cars plus trailer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
I feel guilty suggesting it ... but would a large caravan not suit the purpose just as well and be a lot cheaper?

There, I've said it ... now I shall go and wash my mouth out and say ten hail Marys.:laughing:

Definite mouth wash job...but thanks anyway

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
One possible drawback is that you might enjoy the motorhome life so much, especially if you get to pop off for weekend adventures away, that no one will want to go back to living in a boring old house...

JJ :cool:

Oh no........

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Hi

We need some accommodation for 3 months from December here in the UK to tie in a house sale with a new build completion. We have be planning to buy an A class MH around 8 metres in length anyway. We are a family of 4 ( 2 kids 10 and 6 ) and 2 dogs.

House rentals don't like less than 6 months ( dogs also a problem ). Suitable short term rentals are around £3000 per month.

One option I have is a 3 month seasonal pitch at a nice site at a reasonable rate.

The kids are dead excited to be living in a MH for 3 months. What are the drawbacks ( obvious and not so obvious? ) Or, would it be a great adventure?

Thanks

Have you tried Airb'n'b, we rented a nice apartment for 3 months at reasonable cost when I had to have a hip replacement, larger properties were available.

Nothing wrong with your idea though.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you were buying a van anyway then great but don't buy one just for this short period.
I would wait a bit as you have a lot going on at the minute with the house purchase, MH may add to your anxiety at this time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Have you tried Airb'n'b, we rented a nice apartment for 3 months at reasonable cost when I had to have a hip replacement, larger properties were available.

Nothing wrong with your idea though.

Hi

Yes, this is where I found something for £3000 per month. There are limited options within easy reach of the schools etc. but we will continue to look as this is probably the most sensible option.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
On a seasonal pitch I found I had to leave for 48 hours every 28 days. As long as you can go to another site or wild camp for 48 hours, you’ll be fine.
Can’t see any disadvantages to your plan, apart from being careful what you feed your dogs as you’ll be in a confined space :)
Either a Moho or a large caravan if you have a suitable tow vehicle.

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Why dont you rent a house ( limit yourself to just 28 foot x 8foot bungalow) for 6 months

See how big an “adventure” it is after about a month in and report back ?

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Have you included any options in case the new house isn't ready? After watching lots of Grand Designs, it's rare to see one finished on time! :banghead:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
If you were buying a van anyway then great but don't buy one just for this short period.
I would wait a bit as you have a lot going on at the minute with the house purchase, MH may add to your anxiety at this time.

We will definitely buy one anyway but original plan was to wait until the move was completed. You are spot on regarding anxiety

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
This new build completion.....
Can you not JCB a level area on that plot somewhere and stick a mobile home on it for the three months. You can project manage the build from there too??
Damn site cheaper than renting a house / bnb or buying a motorhome and having to park it on a campsite..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
On a seasonal pitch I found I had to leave for 48 hours every 28 days. As long as you can go to another site or wild camp for 48 hours, you’ll be fine.
Can’t see any disadvantages to your plan, apart from being careful what you feed your dogs as you’ll be in a confined space :)
Either a Moho or a large caravan if you have a suitable tow vehicle.

Need to check this but there was no mention of having to move and they do offer a yearly rate as well with no such stipulation as well. Thanks for your reply

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Why dont you rent a house ( limit yourself to just 28 foot x 8foot bungalow) for 6 months

See how big an “adventure” it is after about a month in and report back ?

You're right. This is probably plan Z but thought I would run it past people that know more than me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Have you included any options in case the new house isn't ready? After watching lots of Grand Designs, it's rare to see one finished on time! :banghead:

We have been told that it will be January if no delays "due to unforeseen circumstances" with a guaranteed date of end of Feb. I have that in writing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
This new build completion.....
Can you not JCB a level area on that plot somewhere and stick a mobile home on it for the three months. You can project manage the build from there too??
Damn site cheaper than renting a house / bnb or buying a motorhome and having to park it on a campsite..

The house is being built on a development of 12 houses. 3 of the houses are complete and ours has the roof on and is tiled so I am actually surprised that they are talking end of Feb for legal completion unless they are looking to complete all 12 before anyone moves in.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
They do have statics, but aren't they a bit caravan like?

It is, although separate bedrooms (for kids) proper facilities, loo heating etc and still on a site for the kids to go out and play.... that time of year you could probably get it for around £500 a month... cheep as chips in the grand scheme of things...
get settled in the new home then look to buy a Motorhome when settled...

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The house is being built on a development of 12 houses.

Make sure if it`s the same builder building all on land he/they own that they have not put some silly restrictive covenant in about keeping Caravan`s/Motor homes or work`s van`s on your land if you intend to park it up at home..
That`s if you intend to park up at home..

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
guaranteed completion dates in the building trade are flexible

Upvote 0
May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
What's wrong with you lot!!
Ignore them all, buy a motorhome, live in it for the 3 months or so by which time you will have it well sorted, then use it for cheap family holidays once the house is done. The kids especially will love it :call:

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We have been told that it will be January if no delays "due to unforeseen circumstances" with a guaranteed date of end of Feb. I have that in writing.

Is there a penalty clause in the contract stating if not completed by end of Feb monies will be coming to you.

I don’t want to come across negative but I work in the building trade and seen “promises” before.

Expect the worst then you will be pleasantly surprised when it all goes ok.

Ohh and most delays are client orientated because of indecision or changing minds.

No offence just saying ?

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
It’s perfectly doable. Lots of people on here full time, plenty have with children, even home schooling them as they’ve travelled.
I came to the UK for a 6 week holiday in my motorhome ( lived in France then) Long story short, daughter was pregnant, became really ill and baby had to be delivered at 28 weeks. Didn’t get to the festivals etc I’d planned on, lived in my motorhome for 9 months with 2 dogs and 2 cats, right through a very cold winter. Loved it so much I went home and put my house on the market, gave the keys to the agent and set off again for another year in the motorhome. Loved every minute despite some hairy moments ( having the van MOTD with the animals all in the garage waiting area was entertaining)
You’ll all have to be quite tidy, quite minimalist and get on most of the time but I’m sure you’ll enjoy it and you’ll make family stories for the future.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
Make sure if it`s the same builder building all on land he/they own that they have not put some silly restrictive covenant in about keeping Caravan`s/Motor homes or work`s van`s on your land if you intend to park it up at home..
That`s if you intend to park up at home..

Good point about the restrictive covenants....thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B4ssy
Jun 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Im a newbie
What's wrong with you lot!!
Ignore them all, buy a motorhome, live in it for the 3 months or so by which time you will have it well sorted, then use it for cheap family holidays once the house is done. The kids especially will love it :call:

(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back