Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi All

Can anyone answer a question for me? We have an Owl Monitor fitted to the RV to see what electric we are consuming. What I need to know is what are the numbers for max usage i.e. before the power trips should I be seeing when on a 10amp and 16amp hookup. We are currently on a 10amp and are nervous if the trip does go as the hookup connection where the trip is is not only locked but screwed shut as well.

Thanks

Kevin and Tricia

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
4.3amps @ 230v = 1kw (1000w) therefore....

10amps will be 2.3kw...

16amps will be 3.68kw

so set your monitor (cost per unit) at 10p per kw/hr.

when the cost reading on the owl is 36.8p on 16amp hookup or 23p for 10amp you are at the limit.

set the alarm for 35p on 16amp or 21p on 10amp and it will warn you to avoid a trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Wow now I know why I paid my subscription what a quick answer thanks Jim :thumb:.

Now the next question how do I set the alarm or can my Owl have an alarm to set? It has part number CM119 on the back and 3 buttons on the front.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now the next question how do I set the alarm or can my Owl have an alarm to set? It has part number CM119 on the back and 3 buttons on the front.

yes it can.....press the set button until the menus appear, assuming you are on tarif one,...scroll through to ALARM then set the alarm to ON and the max price you want to set it off....35p or 21p depending on supply.
scroll through to END and exit the set up and thats it set.

OP
OP
K

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
yes it can.....press the set button until the menus appear, assuming you are on tarif one,...scroll through to ALARM then set the alarm to ON and the max price you want to set it off....35p or 21p depending on supply.
scroll through to END and exit the set up and thats it set.

I have looked at the numbers and they are (sorry to sound thick) 00.00 is that pounds and pence or just pence.

I dont have the manual with me.

OP
OP
K

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
hmm seems to be a problem I have set the figures 3 times but it wont stay set. I have tried to turn the alarm on but it also resets to off. I am pressing the set button to get to the cost then the adjust button to change the figure. Am I missing a save button or something?

kevin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hmm seems to be a problem I have set the figures 3 times but it wont stay set. I have tried to turn the alarm on but it also resets to off. I am pressing the set button to get to the cost then the adjust button to change the figure. Am I missing a save button or something?

kevin

after you've set the perameters just keep pressing SET. takes quite a few presses.

eventually it will end itself and the settings will be saved.

OP
OP
K

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks Papjohn I think by jove shes got it. Wont know unles it alarms and I hope it doesnt.

Fingers crossed I dont trip the 10amp with my 20 Halogen heaters in my awning.

:Eeek: oh bugger I dont have an awning or 20 heaters so maybe we will be safe.

Kevin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Papjohn I think by jove shes got it. Wont know unles it alarms and I hope it doesnt.

Fingers crossed I dont trip the 10amp with my 20 Halogen heaters in my awning.

:Eeek: oh bugger I dont have an awning or 20 heaters so maybe we will be safe.

Kevin

one surefire way to check is set the alarm at a very low amount...say 5p...then turn some stuff on 'til it alarms.

means resetting it once again to the correct amount but at least you know it works and what it sounds like.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
one surefire way to check is set the alarm at a very low amount...say 5p...then turn some stuff on 'til it alarms.

means resetting it once again to the correct amount but at least you know it works and what it sounds like.

he'll soon find out when he plugs 'em heaters in :ROFLMAO:

Mine is in the house now.. great bit of kit :thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
So where do I plug my owl in

Link Removed

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
As this thread is regarding The Owl monitor may I ask the membership are there any super techno freaks like I who have not only bought The Owl Monitor :thumb: but also a USB Connect Energy Usage Monitor which is a receiver device which attaches to your lap top via a USB cable and allows you to see not only the electricity you have consumed but also the cost either immediately, for a day, month or year?

Mick techno freak :Blush:

OP
OP
K

kkclassic

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Coast
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
As this thread is regarding The Owl monitor may I ask the membership are there any super techno freaks like I who have not only bought The Owl Monitor :thumb: but also a USB Connect Energy Usage Monitor which is a receiver device which attaches to your lap top via a USB cable and allows you to see not only the electricity you have consumed but also the cost either immediately, for a day, month or year?

Mick techno freak :Blush:

Hi Mick

Yes I bought one of the USB jobbies used it for a while then moved and didn't reconnect it for some reason. It is now consigned to a storage box of forgotten good ideas :Blush:.

I have to confess to being a gadget freak toys toys I need toys.

Kevin

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hi folks,
what an brilliant information thread for someone not familiar. We have been thinking of something similar for home for some time now - sounds like a christmas present item here. Can anyone help with the below MH related question please - the extract is from the OWL help on the web pages.

"If I clip the sensor over one of my electrical appliance cables will it measure usage of that appliance?​
No. The sensor is unable to measure the current flow when clipped over the twin or three core mains leads of any household appliance. THIS I CAN UNDERSTAND

Also no reading can be achieved by clipping the sensor over a twin core cable sometimes used in the wiring between the meter and consumer unit / fusebox or over armoured or screened cable. THIS I CAN UNDERSTAND AT HOME"

My question is, and I realise a lot of you have RV's so the systems may be different (sorry for being thick), but where would I attach the monitor unit clip on my MH (Apache 700SE 2010), as are all the cables coming in from the pole not at least twin core ?- I hate electrics.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My question is, and I realise a lot of you have RV's so the systems may be different (sorry for being thick), but where would I attach the monitor unit clip on my MH (Apache 700SE 2010), as are all the cables coming in from the pole not at least twin core ?- I hate electrics.

You've have to get to the incoming connector - the round blue plug and strip enough outer insulation back to get the clip round the brown ( live ) wire. There may be enough slack already. Failing that it must go to a consumer unit ( fuse box ) there might be space there.

Since you should never see any bare copper ( well, not sure what goes on in a yank fuse box ) doing this it's pretty safe as long as you pull the plug whilst working on it.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
:thumb::thumb::thumb:Thanks Brian,brilliant, that bit (finding the brown cable - I believe people do trade apprenticeships for a reason, and DIY has a definite limit) I can manage. Its when it gets to the copper bits i hate it.

My extra job for today is to have a good nose about and see the best point for it.

Then B&Q for the 10% on a few bits I need for other jobs as its stopped raining.

You've have to get to the incoming connector - the round blue plug and strip enough outer insulation back to get the clip round the brown ( live ) wire. There may be enough slack already. Failing that it must go to a consumer unit ( fuse box ) there might be space there.

Since you should never see any bare copper ( well, not sure what goes on in a yank fuse box ) doing this it's pretty safe as long as you pull the plug whilst working on it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:thumb::thumb::thumb:Thanks Brian,brilliant, that bit (finding the brown cable - I believe people do trade apprenticeships for a reason, and DIY has a definite limit) I can manage. Its when it gets to the copper bits i hate it.

Long time ago I was told "working on hot equipment, put one hand in your pocket". I'm still alive. It's the circuit from arm to arm that takes in your heart and stops it. I'm blessed with dry skin too, that makes a big difference.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Regarding the Owl USB Connect device I found the step by step set-up instructions very good, however the instructions on the information as to what the device displays is in my opinion very poor and to technical, any one else think the same?

Mick

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Regarding the Owl USB Connect device I found the step by step set-up instructions very good, however the instructions on the information as to what the device displays is in my opinion very poor and to technical, any one else think the same?

Mick

Hi Mick.. I don't have the usb device so can't comment on the user instructions provided.

I had a look on the net, do you have this guide ?
Link Removed

If there is anything you would like clarified I'll do my best ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back