LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
For reasons I will not go in to, I recently bought one of the new(ish) Tomtom Go 1000 Live units

If you are looking for aa new GPS I would strongly advise against even thinking about Tomtom kit

To start with, the sales person at Tomtom blatantly lied to me.. Assuring me that adding third party POI's ( something that is, in our game, quite important ) would not be a problem at all

Seems that adding POI's on the Go 1000 is impossible 'though they are working very hard to resolve the matter, and should have an answer by early 2012' ( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Obviously I never found out about this until after I took delivery

Sooo..

Next reason not to trust Tomtom then

I mailed them, asking about the problem.. Had a reply saying it was 'something they would be addressing in the future'
No mention of the slaesmans tactics to get a sale

Another mail.. Still polite saying while I appreciate their position, the unit is no good to me without the POI issue being resolved.. To that end I would like to return the unit, unopened and get a refund

Mail comes back
'Thank you for your mail, this is something they would be addressing in the future'

Sooo..
Another mail. and another and another... all ignored now.
I rang the number on Friday.
After an 18 minute wait ( at 10p a minute ) I finally spoke to a human.. Explained what was going on.. Hmmm yes,,, lots of people seem to have this problem. Please send an email outlining your problem..

Click... burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

There is a rumour going round Tomtom is in trouble.. I am really not too surprised ..

In the mean time I have gone back to using my old old faithfuls.. A Garmin Nuvi and a Garmin 550

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is a rumour going round Tomtom is in trouble.. I am really not too surprised ..

Some other poor soul on here just got one as a retirement present :Sad:

Can't you sling it back with the help of your CC company ?

I've seen this picture before, new market opens, fortunes made, market saturates BOOOOOM.

For a good while now they've kept the market going with stupid frills ( 3D, pictures, phone, MP3 etc ) that no-one really needs. KISS.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I probably could go down the credit card route ( actually it was a debit card but same distance selling rules apply ) but after taking advice it is likely the card company will find in favour of Tomtom as 'they have acknowledged the problem and are willing to address it within a given time frame'

In other words, said card company get a shed load more dosh by not upsetting corporates than from oiks like me :Angry:

So the only options I have open now is to post this on all forums I infest as a warning to others.. Also mailed all the tabloids and a certain broadsheet the info ( esp the rumour that tomtom is in fiscal trouble ! Nowt like a bit of goss to get the fires burning brightly.. but to be fair, the info did come from a corporate banker whilst very pissed and,,, ummmm talking freely shall I say :winky: )

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am sorry to learn of your TomTom trouble.

My experiance with them has been completely different... I am a big fan.

A thought.

Shall I take your 1000 off your hands? I don't need to download third party POIs... And you'll not lose all that money...

JJ

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm on my second Garmin, proper jobs :thumb::thumb:

Moshi

Free Member
Oct 12, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
hi top (I think
Exp
i week
wev'e just got a Tomtom, new to them, could someone enlighten me what POI's are thankyou

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
wev'e just got a Tomtom, new to them, could someone enlighten me what POI's are thankyou
Points of Interest.

A database of places - Speed Cams, Aires, Banks, anything, you load them onto your GPS and can find them and see them as you move around.

Lots are free, but the makers prefer you buy them !!

Moshi

Free Member
Oct 12, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
hi top (I think
Exp
i week
Great Brian :thumb: could be useful stuff then? will see when we go touring next week

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
will find in favour of Tomtom as 'they have acknowledged the problem and are willing to address it within a given time frame'

Highly unsatisfactory.

No point in debating it further, if you could fix the situation you'd have done it by now.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am sorry to learn of your TomTom trouble.

My experiance with them has been completely different... I am a big fan.

A thought.

Shall I take your 1000 off your hands? I don't need to download third party POIs... And you'll not lose all that money...

JJ

If that is a serious offer then yes.. you are most welcome JJ.

I got it at a discounted price of £219.99

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Could be useful stuff then? will see when we go touring next week

Well, not if you don't download any POIs :Smile:

I'm sure there's some in the download section here.

You will probably have loads on your GPS as standard, the trick is to turn off those you don't want to stop it bleeping all the time.

I think the pocketgpsworld web site Jim mentions has freebies.

PS Someone has just added a POI file so I followed the line and there are a lot more, here:

Link Removed

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If the manual/ promotional leaflets/ salesman state that the unit will accept downloads of POIs then it is not fit for purpose and can be returned to whoever you bought it from, (that is who your contract is with ), for replacement or money back.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Spot on..
However.......

It was bought direct from TomTom
I have NO address to return it to and they will not supply me with one either by mail of on the telephone

I have been to CAB and a solicitor.. both more or less curled up at the thought of taking on an international corporate and more or less advised me to accept the situation

Credit card people were the same pretty much

Short of physically VISITING the UK offices I am at a loss as to how to proceed ( I have already been warned that simply sending the unit, even registered mail, will just mean it will 'get lost in the system' unless it has a specific department and returns number on it )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Great Brian :thumb: could be useful stuff then? will see when we go touring next week

Not if it is a Go 1000 Live you wont !

Out of the 1000's I got from Richard, the more 1000's I have of my own, not one is any use if you have a Go 1000 !!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I was going to post on new satnavs then I saw this thread.

No help from me on this one but my old Mio let me down badly around the NEC this week, although it got us from Rotterdam to Esbjerg with no problems this year. Difficult to programme unlike the old Garmin I borrowed from a neighbour.

So it sounds like TomToms a no goer for me which leaves the Garmin or something else. Any preference with a budget up to (say) £150?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have been a Garmin man since my first in about 1984ish ( Garmin III plus )

Currently have 6 of them and can recommend the Nuvi range.. Wish to god I had stuck to them !

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Some other poor soul on here just got one as a retirement present :Sad:
Did have, got rid of it managed to find out where it was bought and went and exchanged it:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So it sounds like TomToms a no goer for me which leaves the Garmin or something else. Any preference with a budget up to (say) £150?

This problem only affects the TT 1000..

I have a three year old TT One XL and used it all over Europe with no problems,
it's simple and intuitive to operate.. no complaints whatsoever.

Whatever you decide, my advice is to keep it simple .. no need for bells and whistles ..

try Halfrauds for some decent deals.. if you don't like or have an issue then you have a neck to get hold of :winky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Did have, got rid of it managed to find out where it was bought and went and exchanged it:thumb:

I'm sure Jaws will be overjoyed to hear this :Smile:

Hope it wasn't out of frying pan into fire.

Me, I have CoPilot Live on my windows mobile phone. Something like £50 with full Europe maps and it works a treat for my limited needs.

Confucious say: "A wife map reading is a contented quiet wife".

We keep GPS in reserve for when it all goes pear shaped, like most French cities. They get you in then capture you by never displaying a sign for your destination.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Could not agree more Jim,,,, apart from the bit that it only affects the TT1000.. There is actually quite a list that is affected ! :Sad: :Angry: ( Though the XX? tyypes remain unaffected )

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My first sat nav was a Tom Tom Go 300 bought for a Christmas present in 2005. OK except the woefully out of date state of the mapping. Tom Tom actually acknowledged that by taking the step of buying out TeleAtlas to take control but still charge an arm & a leg for updates, with no lifetime option.

Earlier this year I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1300T which is fine. Navteq mapping seems better than TeleAtlas and I have the option of buying a lifetime update package rather than shelling out every time as with Tom Tom.

I rejected the likes of Snooper and Pronav because of the inability to add third party PoIs, which is important to me with a database containing around 1600.

Graham

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
TomTom may well have bought out TeleAtlas but to this day, I can always tell when a customer has a Tomtom either on their bike or in their car.. They ring me up from the other end of the road I live in asking exactly WHERE in the field they have been directed to they can find me !!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
However good a product is , some will fail. If the manufacturer has a crap after sales and warranty then steer clear of them.
I recently had a problem with my Garmin Nuvi 865t, I rang them, they sent a courier to collect and it was fixed and returned within a week. :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That mirrors my experiences with Garmin too..

Which only makes this issue with TomTom even worse.
Quite obviously TT are only interested in grabbing yer dosh and legging it !

Which is why this thread is headed WARNING ! :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I certainly take on board what you say about after sales service.. it's often overlooked when deciding on a make of product.

I have been fortunate that I've had no trouble with TT .. so don't have first hand experience .. and by the sounds of it, hope I never do..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just been posted on the Bird site :

ScottyUK said:
I've an old TomTom 910. Top of the range at the time and pricey. When eventually (years of waiting) brought out the TMS aerial it simply didn't work. Nurmerous complaints etc and eventually (after months) I got it swapped out for the new version which apparently resolved all the issues...

It still doesn't work.

The customer service from them is dire and I can't see me ever buying from them again.

So it seems this complete lack of customer support is not something new..
It is actually part of the TT experience and should be expected.

If you have a unit that works as it should fine, but heaven help you if you have ANY sort of problem at all

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
TomTom may well have bought out TeleAtlas but to this day, I can always tell when a customer has a Tomtom either on their bike or in their car.. They ring me up from the other end of the road I live in asking exactly WHERE in the field they have been directed to they can find me !!

But John, the TomTom CEO says their mapping is great now they've bought TeleAtlas :RollEyes:

From February this year Here:
............TomTom co-founder and CEO Harold Goddijn says it isn’t the hardware..............it’s the software, the maps to be specific, and his company has the best.

“We need to get away from the impression that the various navigation platforms are competing with each other,” Goddijn told Dow Jones in an interview. Free navigation on mobile phones is “as old as the road to Rome,” he said, while the strategic value of Tele Atlas “is still as big as it was” and the quality of the maps “hard to match.”

Yeh, right - I know just what you mean about fields ::bigsmile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back