Leisure Batteries ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I need to replace the 230ah battery that the last owner of my van fitted about 18months ago. It will only run my 15" LCD for less than 3 hours. It gradually drops to 12.3v over 3 hours then plummets to 10.5v. As the TV only uses about 4Amps and I know that the charging is working + I have 2 large solar panels with a volt meter.

What size battery do I really need?
We use the van all year so the 220W solar panels keep us going most the year, and we have a small genny for emergencies. We have all LED lights TV uses 4Amps + we use the blown air heating.

Would a 110Ah battery be good enough to get us through a night of the kids watching TV and the Truma heating on for a bit? Or should I go for something between 180 and 220AH or 2 x 75Ah batteries.

I am a costco member and have been told that they sell Bosch 110Ah batteries, so I could always get one and see how I go because they will take it back if I am not happy.

Any advice would be appreciated

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What size battery do I really need?

We manage at least 3 days of TV and heat out of 85Ah. Small TV.

Your TV 4A so 20Ah for an evening, or are your kids completely square eyes like a lot ( inc my grandchildren ) these days.

So either batter has had it or charging system isn't working or both.

Go get your 110Ah, make sure it charges to over 13V maybe as high as 14.5V then see how you get on.

If you haven't got a simple voltmeter invest in one for under a tenner and this will make sure you are reading the right voltage.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We manage at least 3 days of TV and heat out of 85Ah. Small TV.

Your TV 4A so 20Ah for an evening, or are your kids completely square eyes like a lot ( inc my grandchildren ) these days.

So either batter has had it or charging system isn't working or both.

Go get your 110Ah, make sure it charges to over 13V maybe as high as 14.5V then see how you get on.

If you haven't got a simple voltmeter invest in one for under a tenner and this will make sure you are reading the right voltage.

My electroblock charger was recently changed and when connected to a semi discharged battery charges to over 14volts, same on alternator and same via solar panels. If the battery is only slightly discharged it charges it upto about 13.9v and then floats at 13.6 to 13.8v on either solar or charger. I can also see the current from the solar panels as well as the voltage and know that once the battery is fully charged the solar regulator is cutting the charge, so it is not over charging the battery.

To me this sounds OK. Am I correct?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My electroblock charger was recently changed and when connected to a semi discharged battery charges to over 14volts, same on alternator and same via solar panels. If the battery is only slightly discharged it charges it upto about 13.9v and then floats at 13.6 to 13.8v on either solar or charger. I can also see the current from the solar panels as well as the voltage and know that once the battery is fully charged the solar regulator is cutting the charge, so it is not over charging the battery.

To me this sounds OK. Am I correct?

Sounds good to me, so I/we wonder what killed your battery. If the electroblock was changed maybe the old one let it go into deep discharge.

OP
OP
jezport
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sounds good to me, so I/we wonder what killed your battery. If the electroblock was changed maybe the old one let it go into deep discharge.

It failed in the summer so my solar panels kept it charged, and it never got below 11.9v when used, so it beats me. The battery has a green health indicator and it is still showing green.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sounds like it has a duff cell..

My own take on battery size is to fit as much capacity as you have physical space for ..

Truma fans use 0.2-5.6 A depending on speed .. so with TV + Truma = almost 10ah

A 110 ah battery has a useful capacity of 50 ah .. give or take, so about 5 hours will see it effectively flat ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Spooky:Eeek:

This is exactly the same as our pair of 120ah batteries due to be collected today for test and replacement (yes I'm about to see if the warrenty is any good:Doh:), right down to figures and timing, like I said spooky......:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back