Keyed bodypanel! - What are my options? (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
Having had the misfortune to have my rear bodypanel keyed, i would appreciate your thoughts on how best to deal with this. My insurance are aware of this but say its up to me how i wish to proceed as will no doubt increase my premium if i claim. So, is this unusual and what are my options please. It may be a minor issue, but still its my pride and joy which has been vandalised on my own driveway :-( Sure seems like my initial introduction to motorhoming has been fraught with so many unfortunate events over these past 15 months of ownership that i am beginning to wonder why me, as its been an on-going drama from day one... Thanks Holly

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Have a word with the people who fix dents etc. They are mobile and come to you, chips away or similar, Check your local scratch repairs on line, take some photos and send them, maybe better to put some up here also for additional advise

OP
OP
Miss Trinity
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
Have a word with the people who fix dents etc. They are mobile and come to you, chips away or similar, Check your local scratch repairs on line, take some photos and send them, maybe better to put some up here also for additional advise
Unfortunately i've tried Chipsaway and they assure me it needs a body shop as it will require a relaquer of the entire rear panel as, though very minor, its unfortunately right across the centre area... :-(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Miss Trinity
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
Any pictures at all?

Smart repairs are prepared to do most jobs where Chips away wont!

Kev
Its in the bodyshop shortly for a wee crack in the cab roof which is most unusual but can happen, so i'm seeing if they can take care of this at the same time. Sure aint been a stressfree experience to date, but one day the sun will hopefully shine on me too. Just a matter of price, but the wrap method sounds promising... Thanks for your wise words Kev... :)

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
If it's metallic paint and it hasn't gone through to the basecoat, you could brush in some 2-pack clear lacquer with an artist's brush and build up the lacquer layer until its flush with its surroundings. Then flat it off with something like 600 wet or dry paper and polish it up. If the keying has gone through to the metal, you're stuffed. It's probably a full panel repaint.

If it's solid colour (not metallic) and not through to the metal, you could try doing the same with a refinishing paint matched to a paint chip from your vehicle, flat off and polish out.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Its in the bodyshop shortly for a wee crack in the cab roof which is most unusual but can happen, so i'm seeing if they can take care of this at the same time. Sure aint been a stressfree experience to date, but one day the sun will hopefully shine on me too. Just a matter of price, but the wrap method sounds promising... Thanks for your wise words Kev... :)

Just to be clear..The scratch or hole will need to be smoothed out before it has a decal or wrap. Trust me...Dropped a real ball when my car was done! I had caught the clear laquer and thought it was all ok to cover with a silver wrap? Wrong!!!!!!! It stuck out like a sore thumb!

Kev

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Most towns have a body shop where they repair and restoration body parts. Ask the guys at the local garage who they use.

OP
OP
Miss Trinity
Apr 7, 2018
Funster No
If it's metallic paint and it hasn't gone through to the basecoat, you could brush in some 2-pack clear lacquer with an artist's brush and build up the lacquer layer until its flush with its surroundings. Then flat it off with something like 600 wet or dry paper and polish it up. If the keying has gone through to the metal, you're stuffed. It's probably a full panel repaint.

If it's solid colour (not metallic) and not through to the metal, you could try doing the same with a refinishing paint matched to a paint chip from your vehicle, flat off and polish out.
Unfortunately its white and down to the alluminium so will require filling and respray. But yep i think its going to work out, having had some good advise... cheers Holly

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Your insurer will (probably) increase your premium anyway - no doubt they made a note of your query in your file........

:(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Unfortunately its white and down to the alluminium so will require filling and respray. But yep i think its going to work out, having had some good advise... cheers Holly

I managed to catch a gate hinge with our previous van and tore through the hab door (aluminium) right through to the centre insulation :( A place local to us (Mill Garage at Duns, Scottish Borders) did a repair that could not be seen when they were done with it. It cost less than the excess on the insurance policy.

Deleted User
There is a guy who does excellent work on plastic, fibreglass and metals. Have used him twice and recommend him. Last time in there he was doing body work and paint on a light aircraft, and a TR6.
Goose Green at Attleborough, Norfolk. About 3 miles off the A47 on the east side of the town. He has a web site.

Feb 18, 2010
Funster No
find the culprits and feed them to the fishes

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Unfortunately as you have advised your insurance company, they will increase your premium next time round. After I inadvertently ran the MOHO into our bungalow and claimed, I found out what a big mistake it was. The claim was for about £2,000 they paid that less my excess. Then at renewal took my no claims and loaded my policy by £1,000 also we.got a loading on both cars and my motorcycle. I would not claim for anything under £2,500 as a minimum.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Unfortunately as you have advised your insurance company, they will increase your premium next time round. After I inadvertently ran the MOHO into our bungalow and claimed, I found out what a big mistake it was. The claim was for about £2,000 they paid that less my excess. Then at renewal took my no claims and loaded my policy by £1,000 also we.got a loading on both cars and my motorcycle. I would not claim for anything under £2,500 as a minimum.
April 2018 thread!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back