Parking eye rules regulation (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Stoped at Wye Valley this weekend, pub opposite does not allow MH’s to overnight so I stayed at local site

Arrived at dusk left at 9.00 we didn’t even put our step out or open the doors

This sign says overnight parking is allowed by virtue of the charge being quoted

It says no camping with a tent and caravan clearly shown , but no specific mention of MH’s, had we done as at the site, parked and not even got out would that break their rules ?

250D24A7-6E63-4393-B246-5ACF99FFDECE.jpeg

We would expect to pay and wouldn’t mind the £10 + £3 to stay beyond 8.30 still better than £20 we paid the site.

I thought I might call them to ask but doubt they actually know and will simply say no

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
"No camping" is clear enough isn't it? It restricts the activity, the illustration is just that.

Nothing to do with "leeches". We have discussed often enough the fact that land owners don't want their car parks clogged up with campers just because it suits them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
"No camping" is clear enough isn't it? It restricts the activity, the illustration is just that.

Nothing to do with "leeches". We have discussed often enough the fact that land owners don't want their car parks clogged up with campers just because it suits them.
I appreciate exactly what you saying but they are leeches on society

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I don't think you would fit a MH in the marked areas, so you would be "invoiced" for that. o_O

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As above, I think unless you can park entirely in a marked bay, they would see that as a contravention and issue you with a ticket.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On this particular car park they have a 6 bay section for coaches, motor homes and trailers with nice long and wider bays

When parking you get £2 off the entry to the butterfly zoo so only pay £1 to park

The only monitoring done apparently is by camera recording entry and exit

Probably not worth the risk, although there is no sign to say no sleeping as you sometimes get, we don’t even close our blinds just shut the door that divides off the bedroom end

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suspect there is a byelaw or restriction put on the car park by the council preventing you staying in your vehicle overnight, ie camping, so whilst you can legally park and leave your vehicle unoccupied you can't sleep in it ... I suppose you could try to argue that you sat up all night but that would be a bit silly and difficult to prove unless you looked like a zombie in the morning!

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I suspect there is a byelaw or restriction put on the car park by the council preventing you staying in your vehicle overnight, ie camping, so whilst you can legally park and leave your vehicle unoccupied you can't sleep in it ... I suppose you could try to argue that you sat up all night but that would be a bit silly and difficult to prove unless you looked like a zombie in the morning!

Just as difficult for them to prove you were asleep

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Some of these parking eye sites monitor people and where they go , there has been recent cases of parking in McDs and getting burger , then going to premises next door . This has generated an infringement .

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Be interesting to test in a court of law especially as if there is a bye law on sleeping over night its not advertised. grahams statement that its clear enough is rubbish simply because they have a £10 charge for 14.5 hours and sleeping can not be construed as camping, having a BBQ or putting chairs out or an umbrella up now that is camping behavior

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some of these parking eye sites monitor people and where they go , there has been recent cases of parking in McDs and getting burger , then going to premises next door . This has generated an infringement .
Yes a similar thing happened to one of the forum members not long ago.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can confirm that after years and literally hundreds of ignored letters, that Parking Eye now do follow through with a summons and additional costs. If you don't pay without good reason the minimum payment is £170

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Be interesting to test in a court of law especially as if there is a bye law on sleeping over night its not advertised. grahams statement that its clear enough is rubbish simply because they have a £10 charge for 14.5 hours and sleeping can not be construed as camping, having a BBQ or putting chairs out or an umbrella up now that is camping behavior

That was very much my take on it, a tent and even a caravan need setting up, hence the signs for those being specifically excluded

Providing we sit inside and pay the correct fee I actually can’t see an issue , but don’t want a £100 bill to dispute, but as said they would have all on proving we did sleep

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Whilst that appears to be the definition when using an aire/stellplatz etc abroad, in the UK I don't think it is the same.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
I can confirm that after years and literally hundreds of ignored letters, that Parking Eye now do follow through with a summons and additional costs. If you don't pay without good reason the minimum payment is £170
Would still like to test it in a court fortunately I dont have to pay for my legal cover I Wouldn't recommend any one who has to pay trying it;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Would still like to test it in a court fortunately I dont have to pay for my legal cover I Wouldn't recommend any one who has to pay trying it;)
Go one then ... be a devil and try it! :D

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
Go one then ... be a devil and try it! :D

My dearly beloved is having a fit, she said the last thing she needs is a forum encouraging me to get into trouble as she has spent our whole marriage trying to keep me out of it ?:cool: not very successfully I am one of those people who thinks you should stand up for you rights so over the years I have taken various companies to court our local district council and our county council and local hospital so far not lost quite disappointed many settled out of courtbut stil a win is a win

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That was very much my take on it, a tent and even a caravan need setting up, hence the signs for those being specifically excluded

Providing we sit inside and pay the correct fee I actually can’t see an issue , but don’t want a £100 bill to dispute, but as said they would have all on proving we did sleep
How many times does it take to get through? In UK law - that's UK law where the car park concerned is located - you don't need to set up a tent or caravan &c to be camping.

Whether people like it or not, in the UK sleeping in a motorhome is camping not parking.

It's high time some people realised that parliament makes the laws in this country, they aren't made up or interpreted to suit the likes or dislikes of individuals.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
No, they are revenue gatherers from willing volunteers. Nobody has to ignore the warning signs and it is their own stupid fault if they do.
I appreciate that but it's the way they hound to collect. Strangely enough, I got through the system with no cost but some horrible letters. Obviously they knew they were on dodgy ground otherwise they'd have pursued it fully. They sent out loads of fines it turns out just hoping that people would pay and I daresay they did but knowing that it was wrong, I didn't pay and 3 years on, no mail

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I've been dealing with a parking company for my daughter. One of the main things I found out is that signage must clear and unambiguous for a claim to succed in a court, that is from the BCP code of practice. So if the sign is not clear about what is not allowed then the claim is not likely to be successful. I pointed this out to the company and they still pursued their claim so I told them we shoud go to court and ask a judge if their sign was in fact unambiguous. I haven't heard from them since.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've been dealing with a parking company for my daughter. One of the main things I found out is that signage must clear and unambiguous for a claim to succed in a court, that is from the BCP code of practice. So if the sign is not clear about what is not allowed then the claim is not likely to be successful. I pointed this out to the company and they still pursued their claim so I told them we shoud go to court and ask a judge if their sign was in fact unambiguous. I haven't heard from them since.
Yes but lots pay without question..

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
How many times does it take to get through? In UK law - that's UK law where the car park concerned is located - you don't need to set up a tent or caravan &c to be camping.

Whether people like it or not, in the UK sleeping in a motorhome is camping not parking.

It's high time some people realised that parliament makes the laws in this country, they aren't made up or interpreted to suit the likes or dislikes of individuals.

I am surprised they haven’t added a line on the signage to say that sleeping is not allowed, as we do often see, most recently in Northumbria. Someone sleeping in their car I doubt would consider themselves to be ‘camping’ simply sleeping in their car

Edit - it would also be fair to say Graham that you have a level of understanding of these laws that most of us will never have. The ambiguity is a valid query

Last edited:

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
Lets be clear as people have said signage has to be clear and unambiguous so sleeping in your van is camping if the signage does not state that sleeping in you car?van?camper is Illegal or breaking a councils bylaw I would still contest it in court, Once it has been decided in a court of law a precedent is then set and all other ruling will tend to follow that precedent.
As has also been stated on here people normally cannot be hassled to confront these parking companies so sometimes they don't bother to get their signage right.

the above statement that if you sleep in your van your camping is open to attack because if that is the case , every sales man every lorry driver or motorist who sleeps or takes a few hours nap is camping or obeying all the wonderful signage telling you tiredness kills pull over and take a nap.

I am not arguing whether my view is right or wrong I am saying what I would do and hopefully as in the past my legal representatives would be good enough to say yes lets test it or no there has already been a previous ruling and you would get your fingers burnt.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If it does not apply to all other vehicles also it is discrimination and I also have no problem taking legal action over it either.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
I'm not aware of this law, or definition, can you point me in the right direction please?

That's why i would test it Gasman as G and us says if not applied to every one it would be discriminatory and as yet I have not found or seen any successful prosecution that doesn't mean there isn't one just that I haven't found it.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have sent Parking Eye a query via their web page

Unfortunately I didn't think to copy the text before sending it then vanishes