winter covers (1 Viewer)

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
camping forever.motorhoming 8years
I'm going to the Alps and need to buy winter exterior covers, but I'm not in the Uk at the moment and so have to buy them in France. I cant seem to get on to the Taylormade site that I've been recommended. I've got an Adria corel, does anyone know where I can get some please??? and are they 'bog standard sizes'?? our route will Geneva- Morzine area. should've got them in the Uk but the Alps wasnt on the agenda at the time.. fun of having too much choice!! I'm trawling the internet to find out but everwhere is closing now as its the end of the summer season here (zante) and internet access is limited.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Why not remove the existing covers and put Gaffer tape on the back leaving a small amount for a little ventilation and replace them, That should do as a temporary solution. I have done this on many occasions without any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
If you can't get the thermolux ones, you could do what we do, a couple of cheap duvets and those wonderful, wonderful inventions called bungee straps, dont look the part but do the Job.:thumb:

OP
OP
T

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
Thanks all. I'll give the web sites a go and see if they post to europe but I think the duvets sound a cheaper version, for now anyway! By the time they're covered in snow nobody will see them anyway! Good idea!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Another idea.. look in builders merchants / DIY stores, for silver insulating material, can be cut to suit each window, edged using gaffer tape, then stuck on the inside or even both sides if weather is extreme.

aci031208_img01.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Tantanell !

Sorry for that late answer to your PM about the covers, had a lot of work with the strikes and phoning with many children around shouting is just a too hard stuff!

So these are the informations i had from my local dealer about the places where you can have covers in Alpes (Alpes de haute Provence only!!)

Gap camping car
105 route de Brancion 05000 Gap
tel: 04 92 52 05 46

Alpes camping car
Plaine de Lachaup 05000 Gap
Tel: 04 92 45 46 99

Don't know if it is very far from Morzine as i had no time to have a look but do hope it will help. At least the funsters gave you a few other options....probably better than this one:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
T

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
Thanks again everyone,I'm wondering why I couldn't have thought of these myself! And I will try the French stockists too. Also, what else is likely to freeze that I can insulate? I've been to the Alps in a m/home before but this is the first time I have full responsibilty :Smile: oooerrrr!!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Also, what else is likely to freeze that I can insulate? I've been to the Alps in a m/home before but this is the first time I have full responsibilty :Smile: oooerrrr!!!

A few tips ...

* Door/locker locks and rubber seals .. the can freeze solid and you may damage seals trying to open. Smear seals with silicone grease , lubricate locks with graphite based lock grease.

* Internal water pipes, leave doors on cupboards open during the night and use a low wattage (800 watt) oil filler heater

* When on Hookup, lift the cable every day to prevent it freezing to the ground or getting buried in snow.

* When parked up for long periods leave vehicle in gear, chock the wheels and leave handbrake off if possible, prevents rear drums freezing on.

* If your cab doors have air vents seal em up. One of the biggest sources of cold in a motorhome is caused by draughts through the ventilation grilles in the cab. You should close all of them when you are parked up in a cold place, But NOT the fixed vent grilles at low level within the caravan part of the motorhome, as these are safety devices in case of gas leak / carbon monoxide poisoning (from gas appliances)

* Use the correct winter covers for your fridge ventilation grilles outside on the bodywork walls - the fridge will run more efficiently. BUT DONT COVER THEM UP COMPLETELY - EVEN ON ELECTRIC HOOK UP

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back