Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I've got a few miles and nights on the 'van now so I thought I'd update this forum!

I had to do the following fixes:
1. Domestic fridge jet. This was Dometic's fault and I agreed with SMC that they'd send me the new one and I'd fit it here for ease and speed. This arrived earlier than expected, fitting was straightforward and the fridge spent 3-4 days continuously on without issue and works well now - so that was fine!
2. The radio SMC fitted had a different idea to the van for B+ permanent live and switched live so I used an adapter to switch those, and then added a circuit + relay to allow me to switch it all over to habitation battery. Note: To remove the air vents poke a screwdriver down the top and yank toward the back of the van. The satnav is good, gives decent routes and usually very clear instructions.
3. The dual aspect camera SMC fitted needed switching so the wideangle was down and the narrow angle was down for parking. This I did but still waiting for info where they put the wires for the reverse switching - currently using the video selector on the mirror monitor
4 I slightly counterbored the holes in the numberplates and refitted them to allow the screws to sit flat on them
5. I studied and then adjusted the side door catch so the softlock close on the sliding door was level as it pulled it in about 2mm too far before. This was simply by loosening the torx on the door end visible when opening.

Peugeot van:
The 160hp van on 16" wheels is brilliant. Gears are around 10mph per gear, so 6th is for 60mph etc. for revs around or just below 2,000 rpm. Cruise is excellent and VERY usable, makes driving so simple and nice. At 60-70 in 6th the cruise will haul it up all manner of hills on the M3, the engine has real power. The 2L engine is happy pulling between 1,750 and 2,500 and easy to get used to, it even tells you to shift up but the gear-change likes to be unhurried so I rev it higher accelerating up hills simply to allow the next gear to get enough revs.

MPG is around 34 currently, the tank lasts well and the 'Range' readout is very useful. The leather steering wheel is nice and the seats comfy, the only thing is to remember the indicator stalk is raised to allow the cruise stick space, so one must remember not to indicate with the cruise stick!!

The headlamps and wipers are good, as are the LED sidelights. So bright I didn't even notice I'd not got the headlamps on one time after a train crossing - the Leds light up the road ahead just fine LOL.

The van layout also allows you to use the front side windows while driving which is useful for motorway work. Big cupholders are great and used!

Globecar:
The 'Scout design is perfect for 2, the big bathroom great for changing clothes too and a nice place to be with the little window. It could do with a nightlight but worked well. The loo is good and positioned so a 25cm cube box will fit inside the cassette draw - but I've not found one yet!
There's no shower holder though so I bought a suction one for the mirror and some plastic clothes pegs to help. The shower curtain is good and weighted, but still clings a little so I bought some little magnets (shiny neo with a countersunk hole) so I may see if I can use those with small disc magnets inside the curtain to hold the corners out.

Water tank, gauges and grey tank are all well sized. The large dinette you get in the 'Scout is also a nice place to be and you can slouch a bit there, but properly from one of the front seats. The 3rd bed is easy to make and use once practiced too.

Not many electrical outlets here, twin USB sockets above the sliding door only (+cab when driving) but it was enough. I spent 3 days off-grid and the leisure battery was still happy so perhaps solar isn't such an issue - the domestic supply got left on at night but switched off while out on the day, the fridge doesn't care - it works on gas with or without the domestic power on.

The cooker is good, as is the Truma stuff - lovely to have, easy to use. Worktop space is 'challenged' but with the flap extension and the table rotated bigger (a 3rd bed feature of it) there was enough. LOTS of cupboard space to use which is nice.

Faffing with a hosepipe for fresh water has led me to order a watering can and I'll ditch the pipe + adapters, it's just easier to be untethered and pop it in 10L at a time LOL, then also I can count without having to check the gauge all the time!

The Gaslow SMC fitted system was great, I loved not caring about how much was left, not sure if I'll bother with a gaslow BT level sensor - maybe just for the nerd value!

The beds at the back are comfy and the blinds and windows are well arranged to peek out at the world. I'd prefer a larger, further opening rear skylight but even being a meerkat out of the one in there is fun!

The van is quite a warm one, not sure how sweltering France or Spain would be in it - most of the time it's a case of arranging ventilation.

Future mods:
I've ordered a camera to peek out the LHS side front for parking help as I can switch that from the radio. Then possibly some towelrail and kitchen soap basket might be a good idea.

I hope this helps any prospective buyers of the Plus range from Globecar, it's a great package IMO, pleased so far!!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We bought our Campscout in December and have had several weekends away and are on the last leg of our first 2 weeker in Germany ??.
Like you we’re very pleased. Much of what you say (comfy beds, good job/sink arrangement etc) applies to our van too.
For our first week there were just two of us so we got a good routine going. We then picked up my son (15 and taller than me) so we had to adapt our routine slightly as we’ve had to make his bed up every night. We compromised by not bringing the 3rd bed mattress. It took too much space. We brought his camping mat and 2 duvets ... he’s slept on the thicker one and had the thin one on top but could swap if it got cold. He says it’s super comfy so a good compromise.
We fitted 3 stainless boat hooks (thanks to Wombles) which are great for damp jackets, not quite dry stuff or even bin bag when preparing food and a kitchen roll holder which usually gets used for drying the tea towel or the excellent micro fibre dish draining pad.
Our biggest mod has been making curtains for the back doors ... I think you sleep transversals but our beds are longitudinal singles and we’re proving too short because we were worried about the pillows damaging the blinds. So now we don’t use those blinds and have blackout curtains instead ... solution ... beds are now useable length ?.
Strangely, we have a shower holder fitted ? but we’ve not used the shower yet.
We have a second leisure battery and solar and are happy off grid. Our limiting factor is needing showers/toilet emptying/electric for my hair straighteners ??.
We’ve found the hose good for filling up fresh water at Stellplatz. Guess it depends where you’re travelling.
We had extra USB slots put in above the beds ... one on either side. These have ended up being REALLY useful as we bought cheap USB fans off Amazon and have clipped them above our heads on those hot nights when we wouldn’t have slept otherwise. One of our best purchases.
Did you get the reversing camera? ... works really well for us.
The other thing we’ve used loads is Fima awning hooks which slot into the rail to give you hooks so you can dry your washing. Also these to use with them or in bathroom ..
Amazon product ASIN B00IWTYEEOThe combination mean we’ve not used the airer.

On my list of must haves are
12V hoover
Spare toilet cassette
3 bump levelling ramps (we’re using old caravan ones)

Glad you’re enjoying your van and look forward to more updates!
Liz

Last edited:
OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Cleverclips - that's a neat idea!

Where did they put your shower holder? I'd had 2 showers now in the van and it works surprisingly well TBH, I used the loo seat as a towel shelf and there was plenty of space, and lots of hot water - a days supply from one ECO level hot water blast from the Truma.

See Fix 3 in my 1st post for the camera details!
I have however ordered another little £5 camera kit for the front left corner to connect to the radio.

I have thought about a 12V hoover TBH but may stick with a damp cloth for simplicity. One thing I did do is use small foam bits and duct-tape to widen the machined bits of the two barrier panels between the main van and the garage to stop any rattle. Also I stuck some foam rubber in 4 small bits to the back of the top panel so I can leave it in a cupboard (without it moving about) so I can get to the garage easily from the van. Perhaps a curtain may be an idea here.

I had an idea about ramps involving some spare scaffold board. I'd cut two 12" lumps and two 20" bits and screw a batten to the end of all of them, giving 4 rapms with steps. Thinking further I should probably make them all different sizes lol so I can stack 3 if required!

A spare cassette is a good idea - sometimes to buy the whole kit - cassette and toilet lid I've heard. The instructions do say don't travel with the cassettes more than 3/4 full so a nice plastic box for it may be a wise precaution if storing a full one in the garage.

I also thought that a garage shelf would be very useful - but maybe done in a 'closely fitting and cushioned by foam' frame way to avoid drilling permanent holes etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
I had an idea about ramps involving some spare scaffold board. I'd cut two 12" lumps and two 20" bits and screw a batten to the end of all of them, giving 4 rapms with steps. Thinking further I should probably make them all different sizes lol so I can stack 3 if required!
I made a set of ramps from wood when I had a demountable camper. Several levels and held together with dowelling to stop the coming apart as I drove up onto them. They worked but took up more space than ramps and weighed a ton... almost literally ?Since those were the 2 reasons I didn't get ramps, it was not 100% successful. ?

In the end I got these. Lightweight and an almost infinite ways of combining them... almost always not quite right to get your vehicle level! ???
http://www.milenco.com/products/levelling/stacka-levels

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Here’s a photo of our shower holder. As you face the loo it’s on the left wall just at top left corner of the mirror. The way the bathroom is fitted you can’t actually see in any of the mirrors very well ... mainly because of the tambour door. One above the toilet would be better ?.

DD9D21C5-8356-46BA-B681-AAC5AA63E134.jpeg

Reactions: GPW

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Grianan, we’ve a Dyson rechargeable stick hoover, which is great and powerful. We bought a 12v charger for it so have the best of both worlds. Go for one of the older versions as current models are way too expensive.. We tried one of the 12v specific ones years ago, spent most time on my knees! When I bought ours, 6+ years ago,it came with all the attachments which are great

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Grianan, we’ve a Dyson rechargeable stick hoover, which is great and powerful. We bought a 12v charger for it so have the best of both worlds. Go for one of the older versions as current models are way too expensive.. We tried one of the 12v specific ones years ago, spent most time on my knees! When I bought ours, 6+ years ago,it came with all the attachments which are great
I’ve got a V10 Dyson at home ... it’s great!! Not sure you can get a 12V charger for it though?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Here’s a photo of our shower holder.

Thanks! I'll have to see if the 'bag-of-bits-like-hooks' that came with the van has one in. Globecar do make a nice bathroom don't they!

I looked at 12V hoovers on eBay - Black-n-Decker do a nice one for around £35. Then I realised I'd simply be too lazy to ever make sure it's charged up LOL, I have many abandoned gadgets like that, so I'll be damp cloth and shaking stuff for a while :)

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
I've got a few miles and nights on the 'van now so I thought I'd update this forum!

I had to do the following fixes:
1. Domestic fridge jet. This was Dometic's fault and I agreed with SMC that they'd send me the new one and I'd fit it here for ease and speed. This arrived earlier than expected, fitting was straightforward and the fridge spent 3-4 days continuously on without issue and works well now - so that was fine!
2. The radio SMC fitted had a different idea to the van for B+ permanent live and switched live so I used an adapter to switch those, and then added a circuit + relay to allow me to switch it all over to habitation battery. Note: To remove the air vents poke a screwdriver down the top and yank toward the back of the van. The satnav is good, gives decent routes and usually very clear instructions.
3. The dual aspect camera SMC fitted needed switching so the wideangle was down and the narrow angle was down for parking. This I did but still waiting for info where they put the wires for the reverse switching - currently using the video selector on the mirror monitor
4 I slightly counterbored the holes in the numberplates and refitted them to allow the screws to sit flat on them
5. I studied and then adjusted the side door catch so the softlock close on the sliding door was level as it pulled it in about 2mm too far before. This was simply by loosening the torx on the door end visible when opening.

Peugeot van:
The 160hp van on 16" wheels is brilliant. Gears are around 10mph per gear, so 6th is for 60mph etc. for revs around or just below 2,000 rpm. Cruise is excellent and VERY usable, makes driving so simple and nice. At 60-70 in 6th the cruise will haul it up all manner of hills on the M3, the engine has real power. The 2L engine is happy pulling between 1,750 and 2,500 and easy to get used to, it even tells you to shift up but the gear-change likes to be unhurried so I rev it higher accelerating up hills simply to allow the next gear to get enough revs.

MPG is around 34 currently, the tank lasts well and the 'Range' readout is very useful. The leather steering wheel is nice and the seats comfy, the only thing is to remember the indicator stalk is raised to allow the cruise stick space, so one must remember not to indicate with the cruise stick!!

The headlamps and wipers are good, as are the LED sidelights. So bright I didn't even notice I'd not got the headlamps on one time after a train crossing - the Leds light up the road ahead just fine LOL.

The van layout also allows you to use the front side windows while driving which is useful for motorway work. Big cupholders are great and used!

Globecar:
The 'Scout design is perfect for 2, the big bathroom great for changing clothes too and a nice place to be with the little window. It could do with a nightlight but worked well. The loo is good and positioned so a 25cm cube box will fit inside the cassette draw - but I've not found one yet!
There's no shower holder though so I bought a suction one for the mirror and some plastic clothes pegs to help. The shower curtain is good and weighted, but still clings a little so I bought some little magnets (shiny neo with a countersunk hole) so I may see if I can use those with small disc magnets inside the curtain to hold the corners out.

Water tank, gauges and grey tank are all well sized. The large dinette you get in the 'Scout is also a nice place to be and you can slouch a bit there, but properly from one of the front seats. The 3rd bed is easy to make and use once practiced too.

Not many electrical outlets here, twin USB sockets above the sliding door only (+cab when driving) but it was enough. I spent 3 days off-grid and the leisure battery was still happy so perhaps solar isn't such an issue - the domestic supply got left on at night but switched off while out on the day, the fridge doesn't care - it works on gas with or without the domestic power on.

The cooker is good, as is the Truma stuff - lovely to have, easy to use. Worktop space is 'challenged' but with the flap extension and the table rotated bigger (a 3rd bed feature of it) there was enough. LOTS of cupboard space to use which is nice.

Faffing with a hosepipe for fresh water has led me to order a watering can and I'll ditch the pipe + adapters, it's just easier to be untethered and pop it in 10L at a time LOL, then also I can count without having to check the gauge all the time!

The Gaslow SMC fitted system was great, I loved not caring about how much was left, not sure if I'll bother with a gaslow BT level sensor - maybe just for the nerd value!

The beds at the back are comfy and the blinds and windows are well arranged to peek out at the world. I'd prefer a larger, further opening rear skylight but even being a meerkat out of the one in there is fun!

The van is quite a warm one, not sure how sweltering France or Spain would be in it - most of the time it's a case of arranging ventilation.

Future mods:
I've ordered a camera to peek out the LHS side front for parking help as I can switch that from the radio. Then possibly some towelrail and kitchen soap basket might be a good idea.

I hope this helps any prospective buyers of the Plus range from Globecar, it's a great package IMO, pleased so far!!

Agree about the design of the bathroom. We put our bucket with Elsan etc in the cassette draw. For your toilet night lights - try two of these: Amazon product ASIN B07KQ3KMK6. Magnetic on side walls with USB charging. Works well for us. :cool:
Brian

Reactions: GPW
OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
We put our bucket with Elsan etc in the cassette draw.

That's a good idea, a good home for a bucket! I usually carry a bucket too, useful for all sorts including grey waste emptying when I don't want to move the van!

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That's a good idea, a good home for a bucket! I usually carry a bucket too, useful for all sorts including grey waste emptying when I don't want to move the van!
We bought a collapsible bucket for this ... not used yet though!

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
GPW
Something to look at for adding hooks, storage caddies,etc,etc is 3M Command products. I love them and have them everywhere. Be sure to clean the surface with meths or similar and they stick very well.
I love them since they don't mark the surface and if my "great idea" doesn't work out, I can just move or remove!
I've shown a few examples but am embarrassed to say that I have many, many more...

20190818_101605.jpg20190818_101434.jpg20190818_101452.jpg20190818_101533.jpg

Attachments

• 20190818_101552.jpg
    20190818_101552.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Ok I have another tip here I learned over the weekend about an annoying rattle. The roof lights and rear windows have a blind one side and a flyscreen the other. These are fine (although I did pop a silicon ring around the top adjuster and always keep the adjusters non-loose to keep them quiet).

All the side windows however have a combined blind/flyscreen from the top only, with a little wobbly plastic handle sticking out.

IF you close them so the wobbly handle is next to the top rail it rattles LOUDLY all the way home, so either find a way to wedge something behind it or lower it about 2mm to avoid it touching the top frame. It's a simple fix but works wonders for a silent van :D

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back