Freesat/Sky (1 Viewer)

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
I have just purchased a freesat box for the motor Home and use the dish Fantastic My Question is i have Sky in the house and i am p****** of with the Monthly subsciptions for next year i intend to get the all singing HD Freesat box as i have the old Sky Installation will i have to run more coax from the dish for HD and change the lnb

Bill

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You can just use the standard SKY dish. I felt the same as you paying £40+ a month for programs I rarely watched. I bought an HD Freesat box connected it to the sky coax and now receive HD BBC and ITV with no trouble

Lunarman

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi all... can someone tell me what I will get with this box, using the dish I have set for normal sky (I paid a £20 one off for a card, which gives me the normal free sky stuff)

how much are the boxes? ..

the TV is HD, so if this box will decode that, then it would be great :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Freesat boxes start at about £80, and fit right onto the end of your existing satellite feed - no need to change anything. Just plug-n-play as they say.

Best thing I ever did over a year ago, stopped giving that barsteward Murdoch any more of my hard-earned.

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Freesat boxes start at about £80, and fit right onto the end of your existing satellite feed - no need to change anything. Just plug-n-play as they say.

Best thing I ever did over a year ago, stopped giving that barsteward Murdoch any more of my hard-earned.

I Thought that in order to get HD on freesat you would have to have a dual LNB

tHANKS

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I Thought that in order to get HD on freesat you would have to have a dual LNB

tHANKS

Nope, just go to the HD channels.

The Beeb is rolling out much more HD content right across the board fairly soon, but that is actually a secret, and you didn't hear it from me, no Siirreeeee

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
thanks all :)

so, £80, already have a quad lnb, and I will get the free HD channels, and most, all of the free non HD ones I get now, (sky 3, E4, C5 etc)

:thumb:

.. another question.. does an £80 freesat box have any recording capability?

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98

so, £80, already have a quad lnb, and I will get the free HD channels, and most, all of the free non HD ones I get now, (sky 3, E4, C5 etc)

You won't get Sky on Freesat, but you will - of course - if you keep your Sky box going

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
ahh .. ok thanks Wivvy's dad..

so use the freesat box mainly for HD stuff... google is my friend, I will see what channels actually are on freesat..

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
ok looked at the channel listing.. freesat does the handful of channels I watch :thumb: so a freesat+ box would record.. this is perfect, thanks

but £200 ... :( - I really want to be able to record, as I am rarely near the tv ;) .. hmm.. second hand box on ebay maybe...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
have you considered

Have you considered a free to air saterlite system? more channels.

Bob

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

I would think not
A Humax HD Recorder (works like a Sky Box) record one while watching another, re wind live TV etc
retails around £220.00

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I would think not
A Humax HD Recorder (works like a Sky Box) record one while watching another, re wind live TV etc
retails around £220.00

That was my next Q what is the best Freesat Box for Home i did hear good comments about Humax also how can you use the Sky box if you cancel the subsciption

Bill

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010

You'll need a freesat box with a hard disc drive, then you can watch one and recorder another channel/s (some allow recording 2 channels I believe) I think you'll need to double your budget but its a one off payment.

Tesco's have some offers on at the mo heres one of the better models:-

Link Removed

ATB

Stewart

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You'll need a freesat box with a hard disc drive, then you can watch one and recorder another channel/s (some allow recording 2 channels I believe) I think you'll need to double your budget but its a one off payment.

Tesco's have some offers on at the mo heres one of the better models:-

Link Removed

ATB

Stewart
That one is not a recorder is it??

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
you can get a humax box with recorder, but you will have to a dual coax from dish , i think i am right on saying this but technology moves so quick these days might well be out of date

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
you can get a humax box with recorder, but you will have to a dual coax from dish , i think i am right on saying this but technology moves so quick these days might well be out of date

Yup, feed out of the LNB per tuner, ie a freesat box that can record one channel while you watch another has two tuners hence a twin LNB required, typical of the sky+ setup, or if you already have sky+ and go freesat plug and play in theory.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007

Correction mate ARGOS do a FreeSat Box For £29:ROFLMAO:

Don

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I would think not
retails around £220.00

got one does the biz:Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I seem to recall humax having some grade B recorderson thier website, I needed mine in a hurry so bought at argos, but its great

OP
OP
B
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I seem to recall humax having some grade B recorderson thier website, I needed mine in a hurry so bought at argos, but its great

Like you i got a Humax hd Fantastic at first i purchased a Grundig BIG BIG Mistake after 2 days it kept looseing channels so returned to Argos and got full refund

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back