Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
irnbru guess who set off their OTT alarm this morning!:doh:
Motorhome was at home as I was fitting the satellite dish on it.
About as popular as rabies in a guide dog home was I at 06.20ish!:whistle2:
Carl called in around 30 seconds though.:Smile:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Certainly many insurers insist on Thatcham approved systems. This eliminates OTT
According to their website they are Insurance and Thatcham Approved CAT 1 for their Motorhome alarm. I don't have one so i can't comment but if it is Insurance approved it might make a big difference to some.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
According to their website they are Insurance and Thatcham Approved CAT 1 for their Motorhome alarm. I don't have one so i can't comment but if it is Insurance approved it might make a big difference to some.
That must be fairly recent as when I enquired they were not.... Simon Howards Motorhomes comment seems to bear this out.

I would go for Vanbitz without doubt anyway. Had two systems on two vans without any issues at all. I have a crummy scorpion system with tracker on my van which apparently was a factory fit. Pain in the neck as I have never yet managed to disable the internal movement sensor despite numerous conflicting instructions

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Confirm they are Thatcham approved

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Confirm they are Thatcham approved

Likewise. We've got their system and Safeguard are happy with it. The fact that it could be fitted on the drive was a major selling point for us, and we have found Carl to be accessible and helpful (y).

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
That must be fairly recent as when I enquired they were not.... Simon Howards Motorhomes comment seems to bear this out.

I would go for Vanbitz without doubt anyway. Had two systems on two vans without any issues at all. I have a crummy scorpion system with tracker on my van which apparently was a factory fit. Pain in the neck as I have never yet managed to disable the internal movement sensor despite numerous conflicting instructions
I agree i would also go with vanbitz as i have with my last 2 motorhomes, i don't think it is very good for a company to provide an 0870 number for support as these being called from a mobile will be a tad expensive for sure in fact that's also the sales line.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, but the OSTT website seems to confirm this:

They sell a more basic MH alarm based on a Gemini alarm system which they state is Cat 1 approved.

They also sell their Lockdown system which as far as I am aware is not an approved Thatcham alarm system, but OSTT claim it is "TUV accredited" which could mean any number of things.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
They also sell their Lockdown system which as far as I am aware is not an approved Thatcham alarm system, but OSTT claim it is "TUV accredited" which could mean any number of things.
I think that may be where confusion comes, perhaps. I was given a firm no from the insurers but that was a while ago

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I think that may be where confusion comes, perhaps. I was given a firm no from the insurers but that was a while ago

A few posts on my MH owners FB group only a couple of weeks ago from owners who were having to swallow the usual increases in insurance premiums at renewal because of difficulty in finding other insurers who would accept the system. I think that maybe more of an issue where insurers insist on Thatcham approved systems being fitted to vans over a specific value. If the van is under that threshold and the alarm isn't a requirement of them being able to quote, they may be more happy to accept it solely for the purpose of offering a "discount" which may or may not be fictitious ;)

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
As said earlier the 5 percent is neither here nor there to me. As long as I end up with a product that stops my van going missing then I’m happy. Had I lived south I might’ve chosen vanbitz.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Watching with interest, the system in our van is ancient.

Ashley F

Funster
Jul 26, 2016
Redcar
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
2 years
Good luck with the new mh and we'll look fwd to picking your brains once you have Outsmart fitted. :)

Reactions: f6c

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well Mrs.. irnbru I'm sure it was today you were getting sorted...
Dare I ask how it's gone and are you and mum happy bunnies..????

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
A few posts on my MH owners FB group only a couple of weeks ago from owners who were having to swallow the usual increases in insurance premiums at renewal because of difficulty in finding other insurers who would accept the system. I think that maybe more of an issue where insurers insist on Thatcham approved systems being fitted to vans over a specific value. If the van is under that threshold and the alarm isn't a requirement of them being able to quote, they may be more happy to accept it solely for the purpose of offering a "discount" which may or may not be fictitious ;)
Yep, due to the value of the van, Comfort would only accept a Thatcham system.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
More to the point Andy is how many times have they set it off already!:whistle2::doh:
My subscription better no go up to cover the cost of all the phone calls from Carl.:swear2::pray:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think we have that, is a two button arm/disarm?
One big and one small?
This one. Never yet succeeded in setting it despite following various instructions
image.jpg

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Yes we got Outsmart fitted today. We can sleep peacefully now :)

Mum particularly likes the panic button and says all solo travellers should have one fitted especially women.. movan :). I secretly think she enjoys it even more since we got it thrown in free :giggler:

It looks a very tidy job, nothing not to like.

More to the point Andy is how many times have they set it off already!:whistle2::doh:
My subscription better no go up to cover the cost of all the phone calls from Carl.

:swear2::pray:

Haha Grant, I've not set it yet. It will be more likely Alan to set it off, he likes to check everything always works as it should.

Did you ask if They wanted to join the forum irnbru???

I didn't personally ask but I believe Carl did try and join at one point.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Haha Grant, I've not set it yet. It will be more likely Alan to set it off, he likes to check everything always works as it should.
Dead easy to check. I do it "regularly"!:whistle:
Lock the doors, set the alarm using the fob, unlock and open one of the doors and answer your mobile!:oops:

• Love It
Reactions: DBK
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
As said earlier the 5 percent is neither here nor there to me. As long as I end up with a product that stops my van going missing then I’m happy. Had I lived south I might’ve chosen vanbitz.
We live in Halifax and OSTT is up the road in York. However we went to Vanbitz 3 years ago and just incorporated the I installation into a weeks holiday. No brainer for me. Growler and non starter well worth it, excellent system. Was not an insurance requirement for me, I had a Sigma alarm on the van when I purchased it. Didn't like it so replaced it.
From I know if you have a say 80k+ MH as mentioned previously alot of insurer dont accept OSTT
Its personal choice at the end of the day.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
irnbru Sandra I was there when Wendo55 van alarm was triggered. We were at a show next to one another, the alarm was triggered silently they tried to ring her but she had left her phone in the van, they contacted her next number which belonged to someone who was also at the show.

At the time it was funny as Wendy had no idea the alarm had been activated, I think the dog had set it off. Her contact person was also parked close to us and passed the phone over to Wendy.

It was very impressive the service provided.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Don't get complacent. It's just a buzzer.
You clearly don't know the product as you are wrong. The whole system is very sophisticated actually....totally agree with you Trixie

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You clearly don't know the product as you are wrong.

You completely misunderstand me.

You post "I have an alarm, yippee I'm safe". As do many others.

This is totally the wrong attitude. You have an alarm, you are a bit safer in one area. There are so many other areas where you are at risk. This is why our resident security expert wrote a book on the subject and why I said "don't get complacent" just because you have the capability of detecting an intruder.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
hilldweller Sorry yes I think I did misunderstand you. I thought you were meaning the panic button was just a buzzer when in fact it doesn't buzz.

We have wild camped for several years so never get complacent but having the van alarmed does help peace of mind especially now that my dog has gone.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
At the risk of being an 'invisible poster' again, my experience of OSTT is very good. We live in a low crime area but love to wild camp throughout Europe. We did so without any sophisticated alarm system without significant incidents for 13 years. Of course common sense plays a significant part in this, but when we got this new van we researched alarm systems and decided to go with OSTT for the following reasons.

1. Insurance discount argument is negligible. I find bargaining quite effective.
2. Carl Meyer maintains a friendly personal service even when alarm is set off accidentally. They are straight on the phone(s).
3. Any point of entry can be alarmed. Acces to hab area from garage in many vans is a common vulnerability.
4. Like the panic button.
5. The van can be tracked and immobilised remotely.
6. You can set the alarm while sleeping in the van and use the other button to turn off the internal motion sensor. Also good if you want to leave a part in the van while away from it (not that we do but many take pets with them).

Disadvantages:-

Keep arming the alarm while close to the van (or inside it) when taking the keys from my pocket. Spoke with Carl a few times because of this ?. He is talking about producing a sheath for the alarm fob which makes it impossible to press either button by accident. So if you see this Carl, take a look at the attached pictures of a sheath I've made for ours out of folded aluminium sheet. I could be persuaded to knock a few out for you for a good price ??

Attachments

• IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 97

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!