Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,
As my daughter has disappeared into darkest Europe for 3 months with my Tomtom, I’m now in the market to replace it with something more MH suitable. The market is awash with sat navs supposedly ideal for MHs, but the one I hear mentioned more than others is the Avtex Tourer One as you can dial in your vehicle’s dimensions to avoid any unsuitable roads. Sounds great, or is it? (There’s also an AT Tourer Two and Three – presumably with more features). I appreciate there are cheaper options / alternatives ie iphone with sat nav app etc etc but they really don't appeal.
So before I shell out c£300 does anyone have any experience of this Sat Nav - positive or negative? Or can you recommend an alternative brand / model. Cheers all.

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
The Avtex tourer one is basically a Garmin 770 with a few minor differences, such as the C&MC and ASCI sites pre loaded, these can be downloaded from various websites if you get the Garmin instead. It also has a function to search for certain amenities at C&MC sites which I don't think the standard POI download to the Garmin does, can't say 100% as it is not a feature I would bother with so have never looked. If you need that level of detail the C&MC handbook has that information in. It uses the same mapping as the Garmin so has the same occasional stupid routing, thankfully usually being too pessimistic with the routes. So far my Garmin has not tried to send me down roads with low bridges but has tried to send me down what I would classify as unrealistic routes, but if you simply avoid turnings down routes that look a bit on the tight side it recalculates fairly quickly. There are some fairly good reviews on the Avtex, but equally there are some bad ones, a lot of it is down to exactly what you are expecting out of a satnav. I like the Garmin as I like the route planning software that Garmin have, Basecamp, which allows me to plan and review routes on my laptop and then load them on the satnav. It's not the most intuitive bit of software but once you get the hang of it it's far better, in my opinion, then the TomTom one. I am guessing that the Avtex would work with Basecamp as it's a Garmin underneath.
I am sure there will be numerous responses to your query, some will probably say it's great, some will probably say avoid like the plague. A lot of people use various apps on smart phones/tablets and they work brilliantly for them. I am currently using a Garmin 770 as I picked one up with a very decent discount when my previous Garmin which I use in the car as well failed. I will probably look into the tablet based apps when it comes time to replace this one as hopefully they will simply get better and better over the coming years but at present I can only recommend the Garmin 770 LMT-D

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hi all,
As my daughter has disappeared into darkest Europe for 3 months with my Tomtom, I’m now in the market to replace it with something more MH suitable. The market is awash with sat navs supposedly ideal for MHs, but the one I hear mentioned more than others is the Avtex Tourer One as you can dial in your vehicle’s dimensions to avoid any unsuitable roads. Sounds great, or is it? (There’s also an AT Tourer Two and Three – presumably with more features). I appreciate there are cheaper options / alternatives ie iphone with sat nav app etc etc but they really don't appeal.
So before I shell out c£300 does anyone have any experience of this Sat Nav - positive or negative? Or can you recommend an alternative brand / model. Cheers all.

The Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D is on offer at a reduced price of £277.26 through Halfords

C&MC members offer price for the Avtex Tourer One Plus is £379.99 but it has a built in dashcam

I have the earlier Garmin 760 LMT-D which I snapped up when Aldi had them and this was flagged by helpful Funsters. As long as you are aware of the typical routing quirks and know when to ignore directions in my view the Garmin is excellent. I've never had a TomTom for comparison so maybe this is not an unbiased review. :D

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We used to have TomTom motorhome specific sat nav - I didn’t trust it at all after a few dangerous routes - and we moved to an Avtex last year. Much prefer it, even though it has its “idiosyncrasies”, and I do miss the voices we had installed on the TT.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kev and Ju
Aug 7, 2019
Worcester (UK)
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
I'm a newbie
Guys - thanks for your input especially Steve J for a very comprehensive reply - cheers matey! Thanks all for taking the time and I've taken on board your comments. You can mess around for literally years on this one with all the tech thats currently available but to cut to the chase I'm going for the Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D that Halfords currently have on offer for an amazing £277.26. It appears to have all the features that I need and as Just Smiffy says above Garmin are pretty well tried and test in the sat nav market. Job done and another tick on my endless "Stuff to buy" list(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back