Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
I have travelled about 19,000 miles over the last two years in my roadscout, its my daily vehicle as well as the camper. The front tyres have worn down a lot in comparison to the rear. It is so significant I thought that I would see if any one else has had this.

Has anyone got campervan all season tyres fitted? If so what was the source and who fitted them?

Thanks

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
If its a fwd then that will be a regular occurrence , they are doing all the work steering as well as traction .
With fwd cars you can often fit two sets of front tyres to every one set on the rear :)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
it depends HOW they have worn out. if all the wear is on one side of each tyre then it could be tracking needing adjustment, a worn bush or bent suspension.
If the wear is even across the tyre and it is front wheel drive then that's quite normal.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
The wear is even across both tyres. The Base is a 2016 fiat ducato so as far as I know it is front wheel drive.

Deleted User
Don't know what tyres you have or the levels but I have recently checked mine which are Bridgestone Duravis on a Globecar, after 20000 miles in 2 years they are fronts 7mm, rear 8mm.

More wear on the front is normal but I would not be pleased if after 19000 miles they were causing concern.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lot depends on the weight & weight distribution. I checked mine a while back at 14,000, front 4mm, rear 4.5mm.
FWD running at 4100kg, 2100 on the rear, 2000 kg on the front.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
My current tyres are vanco campers the van weight max is just under 3500 kg according to the manual. We travel fairly lightly. But I have no idea of the weight distribution.

The differnce in wear is much more than or 1 or 2mm

Deleted User
My current tyres are vanco campers the van weight max is just under 3500 kg according to the manual. We travel fairly lightly. But I have no idea of the weight distribution.

The differnce in wear is much more than or 1 or 2mm

Driving style can adversely affect wear, especially on fwd vehicles, try to avoid excessive acceleration whilst cornering for example.

It might also be worth having the vehicles axles weighed to check for excessive weight on the front axle, our Globestar is heavy on the front axle, both fuel, 120litres and watr, 100 litres are towards the front.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Thanks for the discussion above. It has helped me realise this is normal wear. I will be getting some Michelin campers fitted shortly, as they are rated great tyres and on offer at the moment!

Ronidog

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Don’t forget, always have the newer/ grippier tyres on the back.

Any decent garage will advise this and move your existing rear tyres to the front and put the new tyres on the rear.

And before anyone butts in with conflicting advice, Google it ? as I do not have the time or patience to argue the point (been there, done that on this subject and forum a few times before)

For what it’s worth I managed over 33000 miles on the front of my last Globecar, ran them at 55 PSI (another separate and hotly contested debate!)

?

Deleted User
Don’t forget, always have the newer/ grippier tyres on the back.

Any decent garage will advise this and move your existing rear tyres to the front and put the new tyres on the rear.

And before anyone butts in with conflicting advice, Google it ? as I do not have the time or patience to argue the point (been there, done that on this subject and forum a few times before)

For what it’s worth I managed over 33000 miles on the front of my last Globecar, ran them at 55 PSI (another separate and hotly contested debate!)

?

My tyres will all be replaced at the same time, barring accidental damage, because i rotate the tyres as recommended in the same articles that recommend new tyres on the back.

On my Globecar after 20000 miles the fronts had worn 2mm and the rears 1mm so I would imagine that 33000 on the fronts is easily doable. A lot will depend on the brand of tyre, loading and driving technique.

I was about to rotate the wheels when I came upon a bargain set of wheels and tyres on this forum, I was mainly interested in the wheels which were as new, mine were very tatty and i was considering having them refurbished anyway.

The wheels and tyres are up for sale in the classified section.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Sorry but is fwd front wheel drive?
Yes , FWD =front wheel drive AWD= All wheel drive 4wd= 4 wheel drive 4x4= Four wheels (2 axles) all driven 6x2 six wheels (3 axles) only 2 wheels (1 axle) driven HTSH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I did 36,000 miles on the front tyres on a 3.5t PVC and they could have gone on a couple of thousand more but we were about to go on a long trip so I changed them early. Vanco Continental 4 season running at 3.25 bar which is about 55psi from memory. :) The rear tyres are now on the front and have done about 43,000 now in total. I'm going to change them next spring.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If using your van as a daily driver, you wouldn’t need camper tyres, just van tyres with suitable load rating.
I’m thinking of these when it’s time for me to change.
EA645B2D-43AF-48FA-8D82-E4728D6E2F91.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for the discussion above. It has helped me realise this is normal wear. I will be getting some Michelin campers fitted shortly, as they are rated great tyres and on offer at the moment!

Ronidog
I wouldn't, that's what is on my van. Noisey hard ride and high wear rate compared to Conti's. They were fitted from new I would never have Michelin Camping tyres by choice. Anyway done 18,000 now so only a few more miles & I can change them for something decent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back