A note about Blaupunkts with satnav (1 Viewer)

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I had a Hannover 570 fitted as part of a deal by SMC. As I'm usually a bit paranoid about the age of GPS stuff I went through a few menus and found it was dated 2017, which could have been the satnav data timestamp when loaded onto the microSD card it uses.

So - unable to find any coherent update info from Blaupunkt - I noticed in the Blaupunkt manual itself was instructions of a website to go to for free map updates within the first 30 days of usage. The manual told me to go to https://www.naviextras.com

This done I then had to shutdown the navigation software on the radio (not just switch it off!), then load the microSD card (from the radio, holding the maps) into the SD adapter and pop it into a Windows machine, register a user account, download their toolbox program, plug it into the PC and let it scan it. (Note they confusingly refer to this as 'connecting to the device', whereas you simply need to get the microSD card plugged into the PC running the toolbox software.

It then said the software needed updating before it could update the maps!
1. General software update

So it updated the card and told me to pop it back into the radio, select the satnav, wait a few seconds and shut it down again, close the toolbox program, pop it back into the computer and run the toolbox again. The instructions were actually quite clear if a little obscure. So this process got the new software into the radio and allowed it to update the card, which was then accepted for 2 upgrades:
1. Bugfix nav software
2. Update all the POIs and maps.

So now it's downloading all the maps etc, which looks like it should be ready in the morning!

So if you choose to get a new Blaupunkt with satnav, bear in mind it will need upgrading and you have to do that within 30 days of having it fitted.
On the plus side the navigation and images are pretty good, it's a decent bit of kit to use/follow, and the toolbox also allows you to backup the card because if you damage or lose that card you have to buy new maps. You can also set the vehicle to car, bus etc. for better route planning.

Sneaky Blinder

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
South Ayrshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr E560
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
What a palava !

A separarate HGV sat nav will allow you to set height, weight, and width restrictions, for your route, and allow you to add POIs, like camping sites.

And you can do all of the upgrades on your PC at home...just a thought...

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I had a Hannover 570 fitted as part of a deal by SMC. As I'm usually a bit paranoid about the age of GPS stuff I went through a few menus and found it was dated 2017, which could have been the satnav data timestamp when loaded onto the microSD card it uses.

So - unable to find any coherent update info from Blaupunkt - I noticed in the Blaupunkt manual itself was instructions of a website to go to for free map updates within the first 30 days of usage. The manual told me to go to https://www.naviextras.com

This done I then had to shutdown the navigation software on the radio (not just switch it off!), then load the microSD card (from the radio, holding the maps) into the SD adapter and pop it into a Windows machine, register a user account, download their toolbox program, plug it into the PC and let it scan it. (Note they confusingly refer to this as 'connecting to the device', whereas you simply need to get the microSD card plugged into the PC running the toolbox software.

So it updated the card and told me to pop it back into the radio, select the satnav, wait a few seconds and shut it down again, close the toolbox program, pop it back into the computer and run the toolbox again. The instructions were actually quite clear if a little obscure. So this process got the new software into the radio and allowed it to update the card, which was then accepted for 2 upgrades:
1. Bugfix nav software

So now it's downloading all the maps etc, which looks like it should be ready in the morning!

So if you choose to get a new Blaupunkt with satnav, bear in mind it will need upgrading and you have to do that within 30 days of having it fitted.
On the plus side the navigation and images are pretty good, it's a decent bit of kit to use/follow, and the toolbox also allows you to backup the card because if you damage or lose that card you have to buy new maps. You can also set the vehicle to car, bus etc. for better route planning.
What a palava !

A separarate HGV sat nav will allow you to set height, weight, and width restrictions, for your route, and allow you to add POIs, like camping sites.

And you can do all of the upgrades on your PC at home...just a thought...

Both a polava. For £15 a year you can get full tomtom on all your devices with traffic and speed cameras. The problem with built in satnav is, updates will cost a fortune, and Blaupunkt are not at all fast at updating things, think their android head unit is still on Android 6.0

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I did consider a separate unit... in fact I did have a separate unit, my lovely Tomtom Go910 with all my favourite places still in it, but the GPS Week Rollover bug crippled it in April. Tomtom does have a file with the fix for this - I know this from various GPS forums, but they refuse to issue it as an update :(. That decision has cost them my future custom.

So I needed a decent quality radio that could do DAB and also play the odd DVD, and when you start looking for that I found the SMC deal was the most convenient, cheapest and effectively came with a free satnav.

So I agree that built-in satnavs make no sense, but the blaupunkt/Naviextras navigation is very good, very clear directions, lane data and diagrams, as is the radio and because it's integrated I can select the relative volume levels and it does the music attenuation during announcements etc.

And now it's up to date! Or at least the toolbox that downloaded the maps last night claims it is, will try it later...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't know why it surprised you every satnav I've had you have to update straight away. In fact nearly every bit of electronic kit you buy needs updating buy a new TV you have to update it these days.
I agree a combined unit is far better I have Clarion combined unit far better than having different bits of kit with wires trailing everywhere.
Next time I will buy a unit with Android Auto so I'm not locked into the expensive silly update prices.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
And the benefit of a dedicated HGV unit is that you can set specific height, width, and weight restrictions...

...I speak from experience. :wink:
You can add the weight, height, hazchem, caravan, large motorhome, small motorhome on the tomtom go APP if you plan the route via mydrive. You can do it directly on the phone/tab or on a PC and when you open the APP the route is automatically added. £15 a year and always up to date.

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I don't know why it surprised you every satnav I've had you have to update straight away.

The note was more to draw attention to the 30 day (from first GPS fix!) deadline :)
A key thing these days appears to be never to invest too much into a single bit of kit as in a couple of years they'll be a better/cheaper/faster one!
An integrated Google maps solution would be ideal for my favourite places, but I did find their mapping sucked badly in the Pyrenees. They seemed to assume I was in a 4x4 and could drive around tight gravel hairpins at 80kmh to get their trip times.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Next time I will buy a unit with Android Auto so I'm not locked into the expensive silly update prices.

The only navigation you can use with Android Auto is Google Maps.

My Blaupunkt is starting to get a bit old it is running Android KitKat 4.1 which means loads of Apps don't work. Android is now on version 9. If you use the Blaupunkt iGO SatNav then you have to update maps via NaviExtras. If you install iGO Pal instead from gpspower.net then you can update maps from various sources without running into licence issues and costs. You can also use TomTom maps as well with iGO Pal.

I have a Premium Licence for CoPilot Truck which is quite good but CoPilot have now changed the way they work and my licence has expired. Don't know how they dare considering how much it cost but they seem to think I have had my monies worth and now want £80+ a year for their new features. So they know what they can do. No way am I forking out £80 a year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
he only navigation you can use with Android Auto is Google Maps.
Surely you can use any app that is on your phone or if you want to install on the device even if it's not available on Play any reason why you can't use a packet installer?

Edit:
If you install iGO Pal instead from gpspower.net then you can update maps from various sources without running into licence issues and costs. You can also use TomTom maps as well with iGO Pal.

Thats what you are doing with that.

I have been trying to find a version that will run on my Clarion. Currently using IGO Prima that runs from an SD card in Windows CE.
Paid €60 for a map update last year now it often plots strange routes. Apparently the Navitex map updates are supplied by TomTom.

Last edited:

MikeandDi

Free Member
Apr 12, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 740i
Exp

1. Bugfix nav software

Hi I have the same system. Have you managed to change the speed warnings to the correct ones as mine often says 50mph on motorways

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
The only navigation you can use with Android Auto is Google Maps.

My Blaupunkt is starting to get a bit old it is running Android KitKat 4.1 which means loads of Apps don't work. Android is now on version 9. If you use the Blaupunkt iGO SatNav then you have to update maps via NaviExtras. If you install iGO Pal instead from gpspower.net then you can update maps from various sources without running into licence issues and costs. You can also use TomTom maps as well with iGO Pal.

I have a Premium Licence for CoPilot Truck which is quite good but CoPilot have now changed the way they work and my licence has expired. Don't know how they dare considering how much it cost but they seem to think I have had my monies worth and now want £80+ a year for their new features. So they know what they can do. No way am I forking out £80 a year.
thats incorrect ive used several differnt apps on my android head unit waze sygig tom tom mostly use google on our phones and if needed hotspot to the head unit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back