LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Ok, , ive been in two minds whether to fit a Snipe3 satellite system to 'Tess' our Globecar 600L Revolution, as Terrestial TV reception has been hit and miss in the west / north of Scotland and in the Alps where we go -
we have limited roof space as we have a 150w solar panel and I am not sure the snipe system footprint will fit - and as the van is 2.9m high already - I don't want to go over 3.0m in case it causes us issues on the autoroutes in France (I know it shouldn't - but don't want to risk it.

So, following this discussion, I've just ordered a MiFi setup from https://www.motorhomewifi.com/home/

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/foam-pad-fitting-kit-for-low-profile-antenna/ and
for £380

I'll get some photos and report later

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Deffo the right choice IMO, but if you are using the quick mount fitting kit, you wont need the fixed power supply as the mount is powered and has the usb connector to power the mifi unit. (y)

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
if the fixed power supply isn't necessary I can return it- it was easier to order it and return than to find I needed it and order again

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
if the fixed power supply isn't necessary I can return it- it was easier to order it and return than to find I needed it and order again
The quick mount kit will need a 12V supply via a 5.5mm jack - I used the now redundant Status TV Aerial Amp lead. The MiFi is attached to the quick mount via the supplied magnetic disc and pad and plugs into the mount for it's power and aerial connection. If you need the MiFi outside etc, just unplug, remove and take away with you and use it as a stand alone unit, then re attach to charge and use the roof mounted aerial.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Not an expert, but 24gb will only stream about 25-30 hours of TV will it not?
Also in poor 4g areas ( ie 3G) it will only download at 3 to 5 meg at best

Are there not better packages with higher data amounts than this EE card??

OP
OP
gerry mcg

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Not an expert, but 24gb will only stream about 25-30 hours of TV will it not?
Also in poor 4g areas ( ie 3G) it will only download at 3 to 5 meg at best

Are there not better packages with higher data amounts than this EE card??
i'll use this as a trial and see how it lasts before deciding on a data package longer term ;)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
That’s a lot of outlay when you could just get a phone contract and tether from your phone ! Simples!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That’s a lot of outlay when you could just get a phone contract and tether from your phone ! Simples!
Depends how good coverage you want. I fitted the Poynting ariel with cables & Mifi cost me £210. Worth it as when in remote areas and no phone signals can pull in a 3 g connection.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
We regularly use the New Forest where there is either no phone signal or at best gprs. With the above set up, we get full 4g connectivity. With the Vodafone 100Gb data deal and a Firestick or Now TV stick it eases those wet and windy nights away.:D

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
I don't have the permanent mifi fixed aerial but I use an aerial that I can stick to the side of the van with the cable through a window. I'm happy to faff around since it isn't always needed. I find it particularly useful in the evenings since when I close the blinds, my phone tends to lose signal.

For the West Highlands, you might want to consider trying different sim cards. I have EE but I am considering getting other cards since reception can be very hit or miss. I use PAYG and could just top up whichever card gets the best signal. In some places, you wont get any signal at all.

I've aquired an old portable satellite dish to play with. It works well in places like Altnaharra. Mobile signal is poor there although I can get texts - no hope of streaming. Other places like Glenbrittle on Skye get no mobile signal at all but excellent satellite coverage.

I don't want to permanently mount anything. The dish has a magnet on the bottom and so can sit on the top of the van if I can't get line of sight from ground level. My concern is our high winds so I leave the dish on the ground for now. Sat signal is blocked more often by mountains than trees, so an extra 3 metres doesn't help.

I'm interested to hear how you get on.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back