If fivers are so reasonably priced............... (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last couple of years have done some fairly serious looking at five'ers.. mainly 2nd hand ones

What a lot you get for your lolly..

Now compare the price agin a motorhome of a similar age.. More than double in most cases, and usually for a whole lot less home :Doh:

Yes, I realise you are getting the vehicle as well with a MH, but a couple of times we have been offered deals by traders whereby we get a whole rig and a few grand back !

Are five'ers that unpopular they are having to give massive discounts to shift them ?
Or is there something else ????

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
difficult to wild or use aires with a 5ver, tows easier than a caravan, but still a caravan. Needs a proper tow car as well. so you will probably still end up with 2 lots of tax and insurance. However once sited and you will be restricted to sites you still have a run around. Whole different ethos to wilding in a motorhome. Plus you need someplace to keep it.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I read the whole post first trying tom understand what it had to do with £5 fiver's.

Got my dumb head on this morning:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If things were different or I had thought about one in 2005 might have gone there just for the truck as I would have bought to tug it and been beast.

Now I dont need big so at thre first chance will go back from my RV to a Euro van.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So far agree with everything that folks are saying.. We have been looking at them for when I retire as a full time option..

But no one has, as yet, come up with a reason for the pricing...

I am starting to have strong suspicions the motorhome pricing is based more in the greed of the manufacturers !

The dealers have the sh!tty end of the stick, as they seem to be lumbered with all the fallout of the builders issues with little overhead to work with

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
l considered a 5er, but, opted for an A class RV.
Whilst l couldn't find fault with a 5er, l couldn't get the whole outfit for my budget. Most 5ers dont have a genny, and have smaller holding tanks than an A class. If l could have bought one for the right price, l may have just gone down that road. At the moment l am happy with the A class, but, l wouldn't rule out owning one in the future.

Craig

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What does a new fiat cost, is it around 25k+ for a LWB? I've no idea but the MH makers must be paying anywhere between 15-20k to Fiat for a long wheelbase 3l Ducatto so that's a chunk of change that caravans/fivers don't incur in manufacture which by the time all that labour in turning the van into a MH must make them almost twice as expensive.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok...... lets take a mid way figure of £17k ( though read somewhere it is somewhat less than that )

Lets start with the price of a new Dethless .. about the £55k range.. Minus the 17k = £38k

Now add the body and fittings, lets be generous here and say £15k

I am led to understand a dealer is lucky to clear 3 to 5K on a mh ( not a lot for a major financial investment and all the agro that is often associated with some of the ummmm.. less well made units )

That leaves £20k profit for the manufacturer

According to the blurb ( and info gleaned from, of all places, the Caravan Channel ) there are an average of 50 man hours used to complete a unit ( yes, I was surprised at how little too, but of course, these folks are doing it day in day out and have it all down to a fine art )

But.. looking back at the figures, I guess the profit margin of the manufacturer is not really that far out when compared to a lot of other stuff.. It just SEEMS a lot to me as a layman

All well and good..
But still, I believe you get a whole lot more for your beer tokens when buying a 5th wheel than a 'normal' motorhome ( or indeed the very large, luxurious caravans )

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
same problem John

I read the whole post first trying tom understand what it had to do with £5 fiver's.

Got my dumb head on this morning:RollEyes:

I had to read it a couple of times to understand the thread.. some people write a thread and do not think about the others that are going to read it.. does it make sense? well to a Yank owner may be, but not to a tuger or a euro box owner.

So no John you are not going round the bend.. just the post is.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another factor could be that motorhomes are more popular than fivers. The more the demand the more sellers can charge, simple market economics.

Graham

Yep.. and I reckon THAT is also a factor too

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Ok...... lets take a mid way figure of £17k ( though read somewhere it is somewhat less than that )

Lets start with the price of a new Dethless .. about the £55k range.. Minus the 17k = £38k

Now add the body and fittings, lets be generous here and say £15k

I am led to understand a dealer is lucky to clear 3 to 5K on a mh ( not a lot for a major financial investment and all the agro that is often associated with some of the ummmm.. less well made units )

That leaves £20k profit for the manufacturer

According to the blurb ( and info gleaned from, of all places, the Caravan Channel ) there are an average of 50 man hours used to complete a unit ( yes, I was surprised at how little too, but of course, these folks are doing it day in day out and have it all down to a fine art )

But.. looking back at the figures, I guess the profit margin of the manufacturer is not really that far out when compared to a lot of other stuff.. It just SEEMS a lot to me as a layman

All well and good..
But still, I believe you get a whole lot more for your beer tokens when buying a 5th wheel than a 'normal' motorhome ( or indeed the very large, luxurious caravans )

prices for a PVC
Hi John, not too far out with the 17 k for the van (probably nearer Jims 15k :ROFLMAO:) About 6k for all the toys inside ( discount )- mine cost 7 k ish with as much off as I could get for cash etc :ROFLMAO: 50 MAN HOURS ? got to question that as I know mine took 2 of us 3 weeks on the inside so I think 200 may be nearer the mark-( I know we work a lot faster/better than any factory workers that I have seen :ROFLMAO:-Used to go in the autocruse factory and we could have done the job while they were thinking about it :Eeek: ) but then again we made everything from scratch not pre assembled things that you just put in place and screw together - So say 4 / 5 k wages
17 + 6 = 23 + 5 = 28k then take off for min prices ie 15 + 6 = 21 + 4 = 25k then add bosses wages probably 4 k min giving you a build cost of either 25 k no boss or 29 k inc boss plus about 1.5 k to 2 k for dealer mark up :ROFLMAO: the rest is gobbled up by taxes giving a total price nearer 34/35k :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: don't pay the boss :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bugger !! Forgot about the highwaymen who cannot even be bothered to wear masks ! ( the tax on top of everything ! )

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
We sold our Rv to get a fiver. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:.

2008 rv changed for 2009 fiver.

No different inside except the fiver is bigger still got all the spec, except for Genny but bought one for £345 so not a problem.

2 reason why we swaped.

1 Fiver much better option to live in, only 1 road tax, insurance cheaper for truck and trailer than rv. Truck used as everday vehicle so no other car needs to be bought.

2 the difference in price means that there will be no dept outstanding so can pack up current job sooner. :thumb::thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Well JAWS you have seen the inside of ours - and as you know we tow with a Land Rover. The reason we went for a 5'er was space and the fact that it was so much more comfortable full time in - we looked at Motor Homes and larger caravans and there were so many things in a 5'er that made full timing more comfortable. We have just read a report in MMM on a new motorhome and it shows the Pilot as doing 24mpg - we get more than that towing since we had it chipped and get 36 mpg solo - when we are on a site we do not have to pack all up to go out for the day and have more living space. I would be the first to agree that it is more difficult to wild camp with a 5'er but I know Chatter uses the aires in France without trouble but I know she never unhitches.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
5ers are actually getting more expensive. If buying new, list price:-
26-28 ft, single slide out and all the options approx £35k
Navara or the like £25K. So you are looking at £60K, what kind of new motorehome are you getting for that?
Just about to haul my 5er off to Spain for the winter and having a car (without towing one) when I get there makes a big difference. Also the 5er is just a pair of axles with a breaking system, if anything goes wrong I can still get around.

Just Jack

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back