Apps for lorry/coach drivers (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2019
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
I’m guessing Lorry and coach drivers have forums such as this, and equivalent apps to Park4Night etc. They obviously need to empty black tanks and fill up water. So is anyone aware of an app indicating where these facilities are that motorhomes could maybe (unofficially) use too?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Tbf, I don't know of any. Coaches used to have arrangements with service stations and various garages.
I only know of 2 hgv drivers that have toilets and they empty them at their depot by arrangement. I appreciate you said obviously, but why would a lorry driver need to fill up with water and coaches fill up at their depot/garage.
Possibly long distance coaches may have seperate arrangements overseas but I would imagine that would be a usual stop.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Checkout truckfly not specifically emptieing but toilets and stopovers and cafes
We have used it extensively and no problems.

OP
OP
Dwarfland
Mar 24, 2019
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Tbf, I don't know of any. Coaches used to have arrangements with service stations and various garages.
I only know of 2 hgv drivers that have toilets and they empty them at their depot by arrangement. I appreciate you said obviously, but why would a lorry driver need to fill up with water and coaches fill up at their depot/garage.
Possibly long distance coaches may have seperate arrangements overseas but I would imagine that would be a usual stop.
I was thinking foreign truck drivers over here. There are regularly Dutch and Eastern European lorries parked near me (lay bys, side roads etc) overnight which I guessed must have some toilet and washing facilities). They don’t have a depot they can use so where do they empty etc? (Maybe I don’t want to know ?)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I was thinking foreign truck drivers over here. There are regularly Dutch and Eastern European lorries parked near me (lay bys, side roads etc) overnight which I guessed must have some toilet and washing facilities). They don’t have a depot they can use so where do they empty etc? (Maybe I don’t want to know ?)

Very few trucks have any sort of toilet facilities, pee into a bottle is the best that is available, number 2's i will leave to your imagination.

This parking in laybyes etc highlights the appalling lack of facilities for truck drivers in this country, the ones that are available are usually ridiculously expensive with poor facilities.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I looked into this when I had my US RV , for black tank drops . They are very few and far between , and those that are can cost circa £12 for a drop ! quite a few coach firms have reciprocal arrangements with others .
They are not receptive to having Rvs maneuvering in their yards to drop , due to risk of damage to other coaches . HTSH

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
May be if they didn’t pinch the shower heads and plugs and treated it with more respect maybe there would be better facilities. Also wages etc are so low that everything looks expensive.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Anyone that has been to N Z will know how easy and accessible dumps and water fill is.

With the amount of sewage pipes in this country it would be so easy to install points over here on the edge of a town.

But it’s never going to happen is it ?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Anyone that has been to N Z will know how easy and accessible dumps and water fill is.

With the amount of sewage pipes in this country it would be so easy to install points over here on the edge of a town.

But it’s never going to happen is it ?
Money, who will pay for it. Normal services no longer exist so I cannot see it being high on the priority list.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As a coach driver for 18 years I can almost count on the fingers of one foot how many publically accessible toilet drops, suitable for coaches, there are in the UK. If I found it necessary I'd usually arrange to call in at another operators yard when I was passenger free and use their facilities.

I can think of two - Channel Tunnel outbound terminus, which is now closed, and the coach park at the leisure centre in Stratford upon Avon.

It's not a lot better on the continent but there was the odd service area we could use. I understand there are a few more now but I've been left the industry for a few years.

Unless a truck has parked over it, a common occurence!

OP
OP
Dwarfland
Mar 24, 2019
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
5 years
Money, who will pay for it. Normal services no longer exist so I cannot see it being high on the priority list.
Having been in Spain, Portugal and France for 2 months and seen how every little town and village seems to have a service point (usually free in Spain and Portugal too). We discussed this. I would guess town councils see it as a way to pull visitors into their town. We’ve found a lot on park4night then shopped in a place we otherwise wouldn’t have gone to. In France they charge a couple of euros so I guess it pays back over time.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
M
Having been in Spain, Portugal and France for 2 months and seen how every little town and village seems to have a service point (usually free in Spain and Portugal too). We discussed this. I would guess town councils see it as a way to pull visitors into their town. We’ve found a lot on park4night then shopped in a place we otherwise wouldn’t have gone to. In France they charge a couple of euros so I guess it pays back over time.
May be these countries get grants from somewhere to enable them to spend money like this. If my tax is being spent I would rather it be spent on things that benefits me not someone who is paying nothing. As I don’t own a shop or restaurant etc extra people coming to my village is of no benefit to me.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
May be these countries get grants from somewhere to enable them to spend money like this. If my tax is being spent I would rather it be spent on things that benefits me not someone who is paying nothing. As I don’t own a shop or restaurant etc extra people coming to my village is of no benefit to me.

So I presume therefore you do not use free aires etc? :imoutahere:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You really don't want to know

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
You really don't want to know

They’re called single use plastic bags for a reason!.
I know, I’ve been there. (Romanian border for one).
But after criticising Romania, this country is very poor for truck drivers.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
They’re called single use plastic bags for a reason!.
I know, I’ve been there. (Romanian border for one).
But after criticising Romania, this country is very poor for truck drivers.
That's the posh ones. I take it you haven't used many lay byes?
By Romania, are you referring to a previous thread?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
That's the posh ones. I take it you haven't used many lay byes?
By Romania, are you referring to a previous thread?

Yes, many times over many years in many countries.
I hadn’t seen previous on Romania, but spent 9 days on the Romanian/Hungarian border during the Balkan conflict in Yugoslavia.
Remote border crossing, and the Romanian government were in no rush to allow their country to be used as a transit route to Istanbul.
No facilities, and close on 250 trucks of many nationalities waiting to go in.

Happy days?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

In the great scheme of things it would be comparatively cheap.

The problem is there is no will to do it.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
M

That’s not how it works in the economy though.

I get no direct benefit from all the cost provided by Cheltenham Council and the Police when the Gold Cup racing is on.

Profits etc go to the companies, pubs and racecourse direct.

But, you get filter down.
Companies employ people, these companies and pubs have repairs and maintenance done etc.

Also I don’t use the library and many other facilities but still pay for them.
It’s just how things work ?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The biggest problem with this in the uk is the kids would vandalize them. We live in a pretty nice town and still have no glass in our bus shelters.

I like the italian system where the service stations have them, it does fit nicels into a vehicle forecourt type operation. I have been into supermarkets in France that have the pay ones.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That’s not how it works in the economy though.

I get no direct benefit from all the cost provided by Cheltenham Council and the Police when the Gold Cup racing is on.

Profits etc go to the companies, pubs and racecourse direct.

But, you get filter down.
Companies employ people, these companies and pubs have repairs and maintenance done etc.

Also I don’t use the library and many other facilities but still pay for them.
It’s just how things work ?
Next your be telling me that the trickle down from the rich getting loads of money actually works. Haha.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
In the great scheme of things it would be comparatively cheap.

The problem is there is no will to do it.
In the great scheme of things it would be cheaper to provide a nhs dentist not a lot of money overall. Money for schools, care in the community etc. Not a lot of money, but some think a free Aires is more important!

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Have you walked passed any lorry’s in laybyes, the stink of urine, the human excrement, and toilet paper in the bushes, and the rubbish/litter thrown out should answer your questions. Get East European drivers over here, they do all there cooking on gas stoves whilst parked up, they can’t afford the services parking at £30 a night.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
In the great scheme of things it would be cheaper to provide a nhs dentist not a lot of money overall. Money for schools, care in the community etc. Not a lot of money, but some think a free Aires is more important!

Im guessing you wouldn't know the costing on providing a lean standpipe and sewage dump to existing supply lines in a rural setting :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back