Hi (1 Viewer)

voltage drop

Free Member
Oct 4, 2010
Funster No
good evening all, just joined and look forward to gaining some knowledge from the vast number of experienced hands on here.. I have just bought a new motorhome and look forward to enjoying the great outdoors... I live in the north of scotland and am an chief electrician for a drilling contractor..
However I have no knowledge of gas set ups for motorhomes..if i may be so forward to ask the views of the experienced what thier opinions are on gaslow systems as i am having this fitted as an extra 2 x 11kg with auto changer... my reasoning was less handling and not having to judge when to change a cylinder... thanks all ::bigsmile:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi and Welcome, hope you have many happy trips away in your new motorhome. What have you bought?

Dale

www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk - Norfolk Meet in November 5th - 7th, or longer if you wish

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Voltage drop, we have a few Funsters from way up there. Welcome to the Fun. :thumb:

OP
OP
V

voltage drop

Free Member
Oct 4, 2010
Funster No
thanks, still working out how to post on here, bound to make a few mistakes..oh well..

OP
OP
V

voltage drop

Free Member
Oct 4, 2010
Funster No
Hi Dale

Just bought Adria matrix 680 sp..lovely ...cant wait to pick it up..

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Hi and welcome, :Smile:you have made a good decision with the Gaslow system in my opinion,we find it a lot more convenient.hope you enjoy :thumb:

OP
OP
V

voltage drop

Free Member
Oct 4, 2010
Funster No
gaslow

I hope so, bit nervous about filling it for the first time.. never used lpg before.. i know you cant over fill them due to an inbuild feature however.. may i ask about useage...i understand i will have a total of 22kg available but not having used gas before any ruff guides as to how long that will last from your experience...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
good evening all, just joined and look forward to gaining some knowledge from the vast number of experienced hands on here..

You smooth talking devil. Do you think flattery like that will work round here ?

Yeh, I guess it will. Last time anyone round got a compliment was in 1902.

opinions are on gaslow systems as i am having this fitted as an extra::bigsmile:

Galsow excellent, generally, but fill ups difficult in Spain, needs planning.

Don't forget 3 European adaptors.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I hope so, bit nervous about filling it for the first time....

Oh come on, even a canny Scot can afford £12 to fill them up.

There is a first time fill warning - do it by volume assuming the cut off does not work, so it says on the gaslow site.

That much gas would last all summer. Or two days in northern Scotland in winter.

Bit of a joke there, depends how hot you want it, maybe one or two weeks, you'll have to keep an eye on the changeover because if it changes and you don't spot this you can end up with 2 empty tanks.

OP
OP
V

voltage drop

Free Member
Oct 4, 2010
Funster No
Gaslo

Cheers brian, put my mind at rest as i believe propane cylinders are all different in europe... one other reson for lpg was i believe its a mixture of butane and propane so its more useable in cold climates ie skiing in europe and ofcourse in scotland...:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cheers brian, put my mind at rest as i believe propane cylinders are all different in europe... one other reson for lpg was i believe its a mixture of butane and propane so its more useable in cold climates ie skiing in europe and ofcourse in scotland...:Smile:

The actual cylinders are different all over EU, that's the attraction of gaslow, you just need 3 filler adaptors for gaslow.

What you want is Propane, Butane freezes around zero, Propane much lower.

LPG is a variable mix, they will put more Butane in in the summer but needs to be all Propane in skiing conditions.

haganap of this parish is a skiiing fan and gaslow fan so it does work.

Hell of a long way for you to travel.

OP
OP
V

voltage drop

Free Member
Oct 4, 2010
Funster No
Oh good

Im not the only one that skiing and motorhomes go together.. thanks for the advice once more, there is no substitute for experience... yes its a long way to europe from gods country, but its all about the adventure and no deadlines or rules.. independance, and dare i say it " freedom" pardon the pun. On the matter of winterisation I have been inform the vehicle is fully winterized within the floor space however i have read about things that must be watched in colder climates. things like waste tank freezing and boilers freeflowing there contents..???..
cheers again

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
On the matter of winterisation I have been inform the vehicle is fully winterized within the floor space however i have read about things that must be watched in colder climates. things like waste tank freezing and boilers freeflowing there contents..???..
cheers again

The only time I've been in real winter conditions was -6 on Deeside in February. Officially "winterised" and sporting a Ski Locker, I still had the sink tap partially frozen one morning. The pipwork is in the back of a cupboard and that gets no heat so it eventually just about froze. I didn't have the waste freeze but since the valve is outside the polystyrene lagging it could. My main water tank is inside under a seat so that's safe.

The boiler problem I do get, the auto drain valve opens quite a bit above freezing so I take a chance and put a clothes peg on it, like many others do.

If you don't have built in electric heating then carry an electric heater because you pay for hook up so use that instead of your gas.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
LPG

Hi, and welcome... I cannot comment on the gasglow system, but regarding LPG in general.. we have had no problems in getting LPG in the UK and in France.. but you have to look about for it. We do have a Dutch book that lists all the various sites..but it goes out of date fast and sites close and open. We have had little issues getting LPG on the Franch Motorways further down past Paris.. not so easy up the top end. Spain is hard to get it except around Barcelona.. bad news elsewhere.

You do need adaptors.. as we yank owners know.. we have had to buy several different types to fit the tank and to the pumps.. the French pumps are easy to use compared to the one's in the UK./.. designed for cars.

Bob:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Welcome to MH Fun

With regard to the auto drain ours is fitted next to the boiler unit and have never had it drain down as long as there is hot water in the boiler, it keeps the cupboard that it is fitted in warm enough to stop it draining. We always make sure water is hot before moving off, and reheat as soon as stopped.

Best of luck

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Voltage drop, hope to meet up in person one day, enjoy the fun and your van!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back