Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Mine is a Pro Rider - no longer stocked [I suspect when the container-full from China is empty, that's it]
In fact, they don't seem to have many 'in stock' at the moment...
However, they are still in business, mine is still going strong after 4 years.

It is heavy, about 20kg without battery - a solid & sturdy construction - but as it's got an electric motor, the overall weight wasn't an issue pedalling... but it was a struggle to lift onto shoulder height bike rack.
Must have been popular though.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
I had given up on the idea of cycling ( I used to mountain bike about 10 years ago) until I had a try out on a ebike and i am now back into it again. The assist is there when you need it on hills but when you don't you can back it off. On the bike I have ( Cube Acid 2019-£1799) there are 4 modes 5 if you count off ! Eco (very little help) Tour (good for long inclines) Sport ( for steep hills) and Turbo (For embarrassing teens on hills and in Vauxhall Corsa,s away from the lights :ROFLMAO:)
Hki7sc9fQSCf5EmjiKSoAA.jpg

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I’ve just seen this type of kit on a bike which could be an option
Incredible piece of kit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
So about three years ago I got myself a good quality hardtail mountain bike. Not for finding the impossibly windy tactical mountain trails, more for something that would be very comfortable cross country on tow paths, gravel forest trails and such like. But it was frustrating, 20 miles or so was more than enough even over a few hours. The slightest bit of a gradient and the sat nav computer would keep turning off with messages "no movement detected".

So I upgraded. Similar standard mountain bike, but this time with the Bosch motor. What a revelation. I could stay out all afternoon (apart from numb bum syndrome - but 18st on a tiny wedge of a saddle isn't going to be nice), gradient's were no longer a frustration and chore. I'd cover 50 miles or more, almost circumnavigating the New Forest trails. I'd still expend a lot of energy. If you use max power the battery would be dead within 15 miles, so the basic eco mode is preferred which just takes the edge off. If you get to 15 mph you are pedalling without the motor as that has to cut out, and arguably that then makes it worse than a standard bike as you now have all that extra dead weight.

From a value perspective, I wouldn't leave the non electric bike anywhere vulnerable. And that's with a decent gold standard heavy lock. The e mountain bike added another grand to value for the same bike standard so I'm just as wary. You're concerned even on a campsite when you've left it locked to your car's bike rack.

Weight is an issue. Standard mtb was around 13Kg. E-bike MTB is some 23Kg. Battery detaches, it does lock to the bike, so I usually transport it detached. Even so lifting the bike, due to size and weight means the roof rack on car was not practical. I'd be wary of two bikes even on a door mounted carrier, so towball carrier is needed. MH garage may be OK, but again think how you can lift it in. Good e-bikes while a similar spec to the standard will be heavier, not only for battery and motor, but also that other components may be uprated to take additional torque and stresses the power can induce. It might take a bit of effort to push, but there is a "walk assist" function.

Despite the weight, and security concerns, I wouldn't go back to a standard bike.
Thanks for the insight. My rear Fiamma bike carrier is rated up to 60kg, so 2 bikes at 20kg with batteries removed, should be well within tolerance, hopefully.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
eBikes make even short trips so convenient that you'll find that you'll pop to the shops on the bike when you wouldn't before (provided you have a good security solution). A few miles from the campsite into the town just takes a few minutes. They mean you can ride without getting tired or sweaty. They close the fitness gap in capability between riders. And they make riding easier in traffic, giving more confidence as they mean you can pull away from lights and across junctions much more smartly.

Go to Europe (particularly Germany) and they have far more people cycling than the UK. Part of the reason for this is there are a large number of older riders. The majority of people in Germany over 40 have a really nice eBike. Ancient old dears doing their daily run to the baker on their Bosch powered dutch-style bike.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I think that covers the main issue. :) if you don't feel restricted by your current bikes, why change? On the other hand if you feel you want to travel further each day than you can now then ebikes are worth considering. :)
We often go body boarding in Cornwall. The campsites are often high up like Harlyn at Padstow or Polmanter at St Ives. Getting down to the beaches is about 10 minutes on the bike, but getting back up again after an hour or two pounding the waves is knackering and often involves some walking. :) An assist would help no end. Also when we were at Lacanau in France this year, the cycle trails were amazing, there was a lot more visits we could have made if our range was extendable. I guess it’s all swings and roundabouts.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I had given up on the idea of cycling ( I used to mountain bike about 10 years ago) until I had a try out on a ebike and i am now back into it again. The assist is there when you need it on hills but when you don't you can back it off. On the bike I have ( Cube Acid 2019-£1799) there are 4 modes 5 if you count off ! Eco (very little help) Tour (good for long inclines) Sport ( for steep hills) and Turbo (For embarrassing teens on hills and in Vauxhall Corsa,s away from the lights :ROFLMAO:)View attachment 317926
:LOL: Looks a beast. Nowhere to attach your supermarket shopping bag though;)

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
eBikes make even short trips so convenient that you'll find that you'll pop to the shops on the bike when you wouldn't before (provided you have a good security solution). A few miles from the campsite into the town just takes a few minutes. They mean you can ride without getting tired or sweaty. They close the fitness gap in capability between riders. And they make riding easier in traffic, giving more confidence as they mean you can pull away from lights and across junctions much more smartly.

Go to Europe (particularly Germany) and they have far more people cycling than the UK. Part of the reason for this is there are a large number of older riders. The majority of people in Germany over 40 have a really nice eBike. Ancient old dears doing their daily run to the baker on their Bosch powered dutch-style bike.
You make some good points. We always try and stay quite close to a city centre when we visit, but this gives you options to stay further away from the madding crowd.

Sep 12, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2000
Has anyone got a recommendation for a reasonably lightweight electric bike? Preferably Dutch style

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
for me my E bike was a life saver having had serious health problems and some big ops at 48 years of age walking was about the only exercise I could do the bike at least gave me freedom back although her indoors insist i have my phone tracker switched on as i keep buggering off without telling her where I;m going :D

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Has anyone got a recommendation for a reasonably lightweight electric bike? Preferably Dutch style
Problem is that adding a motor means the weight no longer matters as much for most users, so generally ebikes aren't that optimised for weight. It's only us motorhomers that are worried about hanging them off the rear rack 1.5m in the air that care.

I know Vanmoof's ebikes are lighter, but they aren't cheap.

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
We have ebikes on the boat (they came with it or we wouldn't have bothered) and often use them. I wouldn't have been physically capable of cycling the distances or terrains where we have used them.
We have a 125cc motor bike in the garage of the motor home which has been used once for a very short distance and we have just agreed we will replace it with ebikes before we next go away. Less weight, less hassle to get in and out of the garage, no insurance, tax, mot etc. The only issue may be charging the batteries but I think there is now a 12v solution for that.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Problem is that adding a motor means the weight no longer matters as much for most users, so generally ebikes aren't that optimised for weight. It's only us motorhomers that are worried about hanging them off the rear rack 1.5m in the air that care.

I know Vanmoof's ebikes are lighter, but they aren't cheap.
Vanmoof bikes are unusual to look at. Any bike that looks hi tech is a magnet for thieves.

The Dutch style bikes look a bit geeky and vintage. Can’t see them wanting those.:cool:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No such thing. Only way to get a lighter one is to have one with 20" wheels and an inferior hub drive there are some of those around 18 kg. Full size decent bikes you are looking at 22 - 26kg.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
:LOL: Looks a beast. Nowhere to attach your supermarket shopping bag though;)
At the moment i use a large rucksac but that is work in progress to find what suits best.
Also could i just add that if you are thinking of buying one the best thing is to have the sprocket powered and not the wheels particularly the front one. It gives more balance to the bike with the motor being in the middle.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Nobody has mentioned a scooter. Half the price, quadruple the range, unlikely to be stolen, faster and you only need 1 for 2 people.

Disadvantages. Weight and £17 road tax.
But no exercise.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Think the reason for more cyclists in Europe is excellent cycle paths and cycle respecting motorists.BUSBY.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
In my opinion yes without a doubt
We have 2 full suspension haibikes with batteries built into the frame and cannot be seen
We went on a 35 mile ride a few weeks back which incorporated the long mynd in Shropshire and we got back to the motorhome absolutely knackered. The terrain was punishing hill after hill after hill there is no way you would do the ride we did on an ordinary bike inless you are some sort of superstar which we are not
Our ebikes get us to places we would only dream of getting to without them we rode for miles and miles into the mountains in Scotland never could I get to those places without our ebikes
Take this picture for example we started off at the loch in the back ground we rode for 9 miles constantly uphill to get here it was harder coming down had to stop twice as breaks were getting very warm
IMG-20190413-WA0032.jpg

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
We love our Cube electric bikes purchased last year. Huge range with the big Bosch batteries and not a problem with weight. I always remove the batteries when they are on the rear rack. The only negatives are the initial cost and keeping them safe. We sometimes alternate with our fold up Bromptons which can be stored away more easily.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Vanmoof bikes are unusual to look at. Any bike that looks hi tech is a magnet for thieves.

The Dutch style bikes look a bit geeky and vintage. Can’t see them wanting those.:cool:
Appearance doesnt seem to make a difference, we have met quite a few people who have had e-bikes as well as expensive conventional bikes stolen from racks. have you not got anywhere inside you can get a foldup? The small wheels seem to make less difference on an e-bike.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Our situation (in common with many)was that my wife was finding cycling increasingly strenuous, which meant that she was reluctant to do it. We bought her an electric bike and I still have the pedalled variety and its nicely balanced us up ( luckily she doesnt like going too fast) so I now get a decent ride and we both get exercise.

I manage to charge the battery on the inverter easily enough.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We have two e-bikes, and love them. We go further than we would on ordinary bikes because the cycling 'all that way back' isn't a concern anymore.

Inclines are levelled out, and rough rides through woodland is a doodle. We ride without assistance on normal terrain, and switch it on when the going gets hard, or we are getting tired.

Mounted on a tow ball rack, they are easy to load and unload, and with locking clamps and a sturdy chain lock through them, they are as secure as we can get.

We keep them within sight if we are in towns, and always lock them together.

They have given us much more freedom, without the feeling of 'oh, I couldn't be bothered cycling all that way'.

We don't flinch at cycling 20 miles anymore, and I have a prosthetic leg.

Craig

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Appearance doesnt seem to make a difference, we have met quite a few people who have had e-bikes as well as expensive conventional bikes stolen from racks. have you not got anywhere inside you can get a foldup? The small wheels seem to make less difference on an e-bike.
We've been traveling around Europe since February in our 5.4m van. Just came back yesterday. In the garage under the bed we've got a pair of Bromptons, one of them electric. They fold up so small it's easy to get them inside. We used them loads during our travels.

Flumpet

Free Member
Jul 14, 2019
Funster No
Got an ordinary pair of Giant hybrids, 12 years old with puncture proof Kevlar tyres, a bit battered but I can easily service them. Light enough for our Fiamma rear bike rack and I can lift them up and off fairly easily. Not worth a whole lot so just have one bike chain with a combination lock that goes through the pair. We leave them chained in city centres, on the beach when body boarding, outside the supermarket . . and if they get nicked they owe us nothing. When parked we leave them outside the van without a care. Good exercise too.

So are ebikes really worth it . . . extra weight on the bike rack or getting a van with bigger garage or mounting tow bar rack, epensive to buy, extra insurance, taking off the battery in cities or shopping in a supermarket and carting them around, more expensive security devices needed, the worry of leaving them about when sleeping.

Struggling to get my head round it.
Similar situation with me, but having struggled with some of the hills in France and seeing the ease e-bikes afforded was torn with the same dilemma as you. So looked into converting...

For less than £600 I converted my v old comfortable Raleigh hybrid bike into a super-duper e-bike that has a battery that lasts for over 50 miles and gets me up every hill in Derbyshire I've found so far (not bad for a heavyweight - me!). Yes, the bike is heavy but not excessively so. yes it did take a bit of tinkering to get it to fit - a couple of extra washers. and I do take the battery off when in town, but it does lock to the bike so would deter the average thief. But boy, so far I've done over 80 km and only had the motor 4 days and love it to bits. ??

The one I went for -
http://dillengerelectricbikes.co.uk/electric-bike-kits.html - front wheel replacement and road legal, because it was in stock and a good price. You also get the power and battery (or more) of £2k+ e-bike at a fraction of the cost :). Swap front wheel for a motor driven one, attach battery and controls, and way to go - 25 kph up any hill :D ?

There are different ones out there including https://www.swytchbike.com/landing/ and https://powerbikes.uk/conversion-kits

Different options include front wheel (what I did + easiest), rear wheel or crank conversions.

An electric bike is definately the way forward, and thoroughly recommend the conversion route. ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back