Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Just got back from having my motorhome serviced at Chelstons
As we were on the way to collect it the service manager rang me and informed me ,among other things, that my rear tyers were cracked and out of date.

When I asked him what he ment by out of date, he informed me that they were over 9 years old, manufactured 2001 and should be replaced

As we purchased the M/H 1/10/2008 this would mean that the tyres were
at least 7 Years old when they sold us the M/H

When we got to Chelstons I asked the service manager if there was not a duty of care on the seller to have replaced the tyres or to have informed me at the time of sale that the tyres were nearing the end f there usfull life, the service manager then claimed it was only a recommendation that they be changed at 7 -9 years

Tyersafe, The Tyre Industry Council, organisation says on it,s web site that it is recommended that tyres be replaced at 5 years and never used beyond 7 years

So fellow funsters Where to from here ?

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tyres are difficult as your life depends on them..

I think I would be inclined to have a wee bit of an argument and if all else fails offer to go half way with them..
if they still say no tis up to you, but whatever, I think I would start shopping around for replacements.

( BTW, worth remembering that tyre makers will always err on the side of caution and recommend an earlier change that may not strictly be needed.. A bit like oil companies saying you should do an oil change at least once a year.. Ever seen a can of oil with a sell by date on it ?? )

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
5years

Just got back from having my motorhome serviced at Chelstons
As we were on the way to collect it the service manager rang me and informed me ,among other things, that my rear tyers were cracked and out of date.

When I asked him what he ment by out of date, he informed me that they were over 9 years old, manufactured 2001 and should be replaced

As we purchased the M/H 1/10/2008 this would mean that the tyres were
at least 7 Years old when they sold us the M/H

When we got to Chelstons I asked the service manager if there was not a duty of care on the seller to have replaced the tyres or to have informed me at the time of sale that the tyres were nearing the end f there usfull life, the service manager then claimed it was only a recommendation that they be changed at 7 -9 years

Tyersafe, The Tyre Industry Council, organisation says on it,s web site that it is recommended that tyres be replaced at 5 years and never used beyond 7 years

So fellow funsters Where to from here ?

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo
same with ours chris ? , even if not cracked they recommend to change them after 5 years, make sure you buy 10 ply campervan tyres about ÂŁ100 each & introduce your spare wheel as well .
will you tell liz i still love her ?.
regards.
mr bean:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Four weeks ago I moaned at the workshop for replacing what I considered two very good front tyres on a van that I had actually bought and driven down to the dealership and I do check the tyres before I buy any van.

Answer was, over five years old and cracked walls, we don't let vans go out like that, go to specsavers :Doh:

Peter

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
As I understand it the date code on the tyres is the date of manufacture - the recommendation is that the tyres active life should start from the date of fitting as that is the start of deterioration caused by UV and weather. They could have been in a warehouse for a year or so before fitting.They are also classified as a wearing or disposable part as with brake pads discs and exhaust pipes etc. Although they form a part of the MOT it is their general condition that is examined not the date coding so logically they could be 15 years old showing no signs of deterioration and be passed but by the same token could be 3 years old and already showing cracks and be a failure. Therefore if they are legal and OK for MOT it is a recommendation that you should change them not a legal requirement. The recommendation is for you to act on or not as you wish - a bit like the recommendations on timing belts no legal need to change them at specified intervals but you would be a bit daft to ignore it. Its your safety thats in question and these days knowing just how fussy insurance companies are if you had an accident and you presented your service record which showed a tyre recommendation you could find them reducing payments.

Personally I never allow a tyre to be on a vehicle for more than 5 years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

carpyone

Free Member
Mar 28, 2008
Needingworth, Cambs
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
At the last service on my M/H at White Arches in Wellingborough I was advised that the tyers were showing signs of cracking and it would be advisable at the next service in 2011 to relace them as the van will be five years old. I intend to follow their advice next year but my query is whether I should also change the spare, it has never been used and is enclosed in its owm fitted cover on the rear of the van so not exposed to sun or weather. Or could I use it and only buy three new tyres and keep the best used as a spare?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Robert

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
At the last service on my M/H at White Arches in Wellingborough I was advised that the tyers were showing signs of cracking and it would be advisable at the next service in 2011 to relace them as the van will be five years old. I intend to follow their advice next year but my query is whether I should also change the spare, it has never been used and is enclosed in its owm fitted cover on the rear of the van so not exposed to sun or weather. Or could I use it and only buy three new tyres and keep the best used as a spare?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Robert

just had van's tyre changed this morning The old ones were close to 9 years old , came with the van when I purchased it in the summer. Passed Mot but decided to change them before winter. Spare was not changed , still looks new and never been used at ÂŁ150 a tyre It will do I'll take my chances.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not sure if this applies to all van dealers but I have just bought 2 new tyres and wheels from Iveco dealers for ÂŁ60 each ( Michelin aygos or something 195/16/75 ) cheapest I found for tyres not fitted were 90 quid each -- apparently health and safety have stopped them selling vans with spare tyres -too big to change :ROFLMAO:
terry
may be worth calling at the main dealers

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As I understand it the date code on the tyres is the date of manufacture - the recommendation is that the tyres active life should start from the date of fitting as that is the start of deterioration caused by UV and weather.

As I understand it, the tyre starts deteriorating from the day its made, so a 6 year old tyre never fitted is past its sell by and should not be fitted.

Take a look at this Vid, its a American and bit sensationalist but is very informative. http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Interesting - I pulled this from Coopers web site

• Link Removed

Tyre Service Life

Cooper recommends that all tyres, including full-size spares, that are 10 or more years from their date of manufacture, be replaced with new tyres and that no tyre over 6 years old should be put into service.
Tyre service life is not determined by chronological age. The useful life of a tyre is a function of service and storage conditions. For each individual tyre, this service life is determined by many elements such as temperature, storage conditions, and conditions of use (e.g., load, speed, inflation pressure, impacts and road hazard damage) to which a tyre is subjected throughout its life. Since service and storage conditions vary widely, accurately predicting the service life of any specific tyre based on calendar age is not possible.
Cooper Tire is not aware of scientific or technical data that establishes or identifies a specific minimum or maximum service life for passenger and light truck tyres.
Under no circumstances should a "maximum" service life recommendation for a tyre be considered as an "expected" service life. Tyres must be removed from service for several reasons, including tread worn down to minimum depth, signs of damage (cuts, cracks, bulges, impact damage, vibration, etc.) or signs of abuse (underinflation, overloading, improper repair, etc.).
In some cases a vehicle manufacturer may make a recommendation for tyre replacement earlier than 10 years for their products based upon their understanding of the specific vehicle characteristics and application. If so, the consumer should follow those vehicle manufacturer's specific recommendations for their vehicle.
If you have any questions, please contact your local tyre dealer or Cooper Tire Europe on +44 (0)1225 703101.

Wikipedea has a similar but not such an extensive statement which if taken literally allows for a 6 year shelf life provided that the service life then does not exceed 10 years from manufacture - personally I would be quite worried if someone wanted to fit 6 year old tyres on a vehicle I owned :Eeek:

I was always taught that new tyres should be stored in a warehouse facility that excluded any direct sunlight stopping the effects of UV rays degrading.

If it were to be from date of manufacture it would surely raise serious doubts on the vehicles stored at say Avonmouth and certainly many army vehicles that can remain in storage for many years before being called in to active service. Even a new motorhome could have tyres well over a year old before it is registered and sold - most purchasers of a new vehicle would expect to take the tyre date from registration.

As I said earlier I would not have tyres on any vehicle I own for more than 5 years having had a loaded high speed tyre failure in the past I do tend to be a little more focused about them

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just for interest

I served my electrical apprenticeship at India Tyres, later taken over by Dunlop..

At that time , late 60s. we supplied all the tyres for the Hillman Imp .. The Imp rims arrived at our plant and were fitted, balanced and sent back to the car plant which was only a few miles away..

Tyres that were exported , yes we did export tyres in the 60s .. were wrapped in brown paper to preserve them.. only to be removed before fitting ..

When I worked at Ford at Dagenham during the late 80s, same thing, the wheels arrived complete with tyres.

I suspect that the same thing is done at Fiat, so the tyres fitted to new vehicles are never in storage for any length of time.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Ah those were the days Jim when we actually manufactured goods in the UK - now it is produced anywhere else - a lot of tyres these days are from eastern european countries. We have been eyeing up a Motorhome in our local dealers now for a year. Same one - unregistered up to Aug this year so how old are those tyres ? certainly 12 months plus the time from manufature to fitting on the rims then to storage until called by the converters then how long before it arrives at the dealer ? Interesting thought...........

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ah those were the days Jim when we actually manufactured goods in the UK - now it is produced anywhere else - a lot of tyres these days are from eastern european countries.

When I was at India Tyres I went on a training course to Shaw McNeil's in Manchester who manufactured the tyre moulding presses... I noticed the panel labels were in a foreign language .. these new machines were destined for the Eastern Block... so the rot was setting in as early as the late 60s. .

The far east is now the big player .. China, Japan, Indonesia etc now dominate tyre manufacturing..

In 1973 I emigrated to RSA .. on return in 1979 I went to visit my old factory to see my mates.. ... it had been pulled down :Sad: Only the office block left as it was a listed building .. so sad..

Napoleon had vision .. we are becoming a nation of shop keepers

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use the sun blocker covers

Ah those were the days Jim when we actually manufactured goods in the UK - now it is produced anywhere else - a lot of tyres these days are from eastern european countries. We have been eyeing up a Motorhome in our local dealers now for a year. Same one - unregistered up to Aug this year so how old are those tyres ? certainly 12 months plus the time from manufature to fitting on the rims then to storage until called by the converters then how long before it arrives at the dealer ? Interesting thought...........

I my self use those white sun blocker covers on my RV to cut down the UV on the tire sides. I have already replaced one tire due to some creaking and have to do two more before I make the trip to France in April. Bloody expensive for a yank.. over ÂŁ200 a tire.

I note what various people have siad on this forum issue. It is a case that you never really know how old the ites are unless you have a good hunt around and read the codes on the tires.

The original post did throw up the legal issue of Duty of Care... should Chilstens have changed the tires before they sold the motor home? as Peter of Johns Cross said he does. So it seems it is down to the dealer.

Me with my lawyer hat on would be asking for them to make a contribution to the new tires on the fact that they had a legal duty towards you in the original sale and that they failed to exercise due diligence and that duty did not go away with you driving off if they failed to deal with the issue at that time. There present statements re changing the tires could be used against them in this matter.

Well worth a punt I would say. If you need more help p.m on the issue

Bob:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Its in the interest of manufacturers to have a finite tyre life. More tyres thrown away at 6, means more money for them.

Its in the interest of tyre dealers, who buy in bulk to get discounts and have these tyres sat on the shelf for years, to tell us "its OK, the clock starts when I sell it to you."

Its certainly a worry. The tyre industry say that they do add anti-aging compounds but; these do not work until the tyre is in use, so your spare or the "new" 4 year old tyre you buy from a dealer might be in a worse condition than the tyre your replacing.

It would seem that most three/four year old motorhomes probably need a tyre change, so its good point to note when you are next negotiating and trying to squeeze the last few quid out of a deal:Smile:

After listening to both sides I think it makes sense to factor in to the cost of motorhome ownership a new set of tyres every 5 or 6 years.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I always change my tryes after 5 years of use on my van. I need some now for the Adria. I am going to mail a funster who owns a tyre company for some advice on the following though.

Why, Camping car tyres?
I always believed it was a must must must,,, however after speaking with several others my mind has been swayed somewhat. Why not an ordinary commercial van tyre?

I said I would not post on here, todays my first study day and look at me, bloody post no3:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I always change my tryes after 5 years of use on my van. I need some now for the Adria. I am going to mail a funster who owns a tyre company for some advice on the following though.

Why, Camping car tyres?
I always believed it was a must must must,,, however after speaking with several others my mind has been swayed somewhat. Why not an ordinary commercial van tyre?

I said I would not post on here, todays my first study day and look at me, bloody post no3:Blush::Blush::Blush:
Hi Paul I would not be buying camping car tyres unless they were in the same price bracket as commercial 8 ply tyres -These tyres have been made for commercial use :thumb: and before anyone says that you are always at max weight 3.5 t on them and joe bloggs work van is empty most of the time just remember that the same tyres are put on 5 t plus vans :winky:
I would think that in this day that both makers and users cannot afford to leave / carry big stocks of tyres hanging around - yes they may be a year old but then again the new van may well be stood in a field for a year before being sold :ROFLMAO:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Why, Camping car tyres?

No reason, commercial van tyres are built for white van man .. good enough for him :thumb:

normal caveat .. provided they are the correct load rating for the axle load.

Perhaps cynical ... it was some research 'marketing shirt' who identified a niche market and exploited it. ie motorhomes and grey money.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had the same advice myself on our old Hobby mh.
Van has since done several thousand miles and had three MOT's
Got a full set for ÂŁ240 fitted ! ( that agin ÂŁ412 for 'camping car tyres'

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I agree with Jim, imo camping tyres are a marketing ploy. I bought a Michelline Agillas (I think) and it blew out on me within a week. (I'll never buy another camping tyre)

It was in shreds and so I coudnt have it analysed.

In terms of what intervals you should change a tyre I'm not convinced that there is any evidence that a ten year old tyre is any better or worse than a five year old tyre.

I reckon it all depends upon where you go with it (extreme climatic condtions), how you drive with it and what its visual appearance is.

I dont know of any data regarding the study of tyres at different ages subjected to different types of usage, if there was any, then surley the manufactures would have to put a shelf life on them.

If they didnt they could be legally responsible for any faliure outwith the use by date, M'Lod, please comment.

I do believe that this information should be a mandatory specification based upon sound technical research.

Jim

:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I dont know of any data regarding the study of tyres at different ages subjected to different types of usage, if there was any, then surley the manufactures would have to put a shelf life on them.
Jim

They do, the tyre maker associations recommend that tyres over 6 should not be fitted.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
They do, the tyre maker associations recommend that tyres over 6 should not be fitted.

Yes Jim but thats a reccomendation and not a specification.

What demonstrable/verifiable research data has the tyre manufacturer carried out to make this reccomendation or is it an arbitary date thats been plucked from the air.

I'm talking about an absolute "DO NOT USE AFTER" I dont suppose this will ever happen because its to hard and it would be restrictve to their manufacture, sales and marketing.

I spoke to the Brithish Tyre Manufactures Association last year concerning the difference between US and British tyre marking specifications, I didnt come away with anywhere near a satisfactory answer.

Jim

OP
OP
chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Thanks funsters for all your comments so far:thumb:

I have written to Chelstons and awiat the reply with baited breath

Spent a fair bit of time webbing around the tyre manufacturers sites
and thay all seem to say ,never use beyond 7 years old

My tyres have a 2001 date on them, the M/H chassis number puts it at 2000, the M/H registration doc puts it at 2003, we bought it in Oct 2008

Interesting stuff this can of worms

Ina Daze:Eeek:
Chrisboyo

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes Jim but thats a reccomendation and not a specification.

What demonstrable/verifiable research data has the tyre manufacturer carried out to make this reccomendation or is it an arbitary date thats been plucked from the air.

I'm talking about an absolute "DO NOT USE AFTER" I dont suppose this will ever happen because its to hard and it would be restrictve to their manufacture, sales and marketing.

I spoke to the Brithish Tyre Manufactures Association last year concerning the difference between US and British tyre marking specifications, I didnt come away with anywhere near a satisfactory answer.

Jim

Yes Jim, but any "use by" date can only be a recommendation (and a cop out should you ignore the advice) I would guess that their are tens of millions of tyres working away, quite safely, many years over the recommended use by date. The manufactures have no control over how a tyre will be stored or used so a proper specification would be hard to produce. Presently the "use-by" recommendation is just a big umbrella that they put up to shield themselves if a tyre fails. Like you say, it would be much better for the end user if the tyre wall had a definitive "Do not use after date" stamp, until then its best to use the manufacturers date stamp and change when they are 5 or 6 years old, no matter how pristine they still look.

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our last MH (Autocruise Starfire) had a set of very good looking tyres on it when we got it but one time half way through a holiday in Dorset we thought the trailer was giving trouble but it was the rear tyres tghey had split through the treads and causing 'carbuncles' so it felt like we were on square tyres!
As said previously it's all in the age.:thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I am going to mail a funster who owns a tyre company for some advice on the following though.

Why, Camping car tyres?

Sorry to hijack your thread Chris:Blush:

Paul,

As I need four tyres soon I would be interested to hear the response from the tyre company owning funster. I too am becoming swayed by the cheaper prices. Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks

OP
OP
chrisboyo

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Not at all Phil

I would not mind knowing about the commercial tyres myself

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
As I understand it, the tyre starts deteriorating from the day its made, so a 6 year old tyre never fitted is past its sell by and should not be fitted.

Take a look at this Vid, its a American and bit sensationalist but is very informative. http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

The last time I purchased a new tyre for my car I asked to see the tyre before it was fitted, the date on the tyre showed it was 1 year old so I tried to negotiate a 1/5 reduction, They would have none of it and I went somewhere else.

Just a another case of the motor trade ripoffs

Doug...

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Surreptitious:RollEyes: bump in the hope of catching Paul's eye. I guess he'll be head down studying and not noticing MHFun:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back