Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
Hi everyone. Hope you are enjoying the rain and the Ryder Cup as much as me !

Got a serious overheating issue. Advice needed please !

I live at the top of a very steep hill that is about 1 and a half miles long. Have to stay in 2nd the whole way. Yesterday, returning from the garage, I took the hill on for the first time as there are alternative [longer] routes that arent so severe - but I gave it a go.

Bad idea. Engine overheated and then there was a smell of buring and then thick smoke started oozing into the cab. I was almost home so kept going and then opened the hood and thankfully no engine fire !

BUt the overheating is a big worry. I will def have to put it back into the garage, but I would like to know the standard operating temperature on these older vehicles as I am so used to driving a modern car.

After merely a few minutes, the gauge is up to 100+. Its worse when idling, and can drop to 80 in a few seconds when I am cruising on the flat - the gauge fluctuates a lot in short timeframe actually.

Can I have some 'standard' pointers / temp levels please for a good functioning cooling system on my type pf vehicle (Hymer 1984 2.9d [409d])

Im thinking thermo / fans / head gasket - in that order - is the problem. Am i wide of the mark ?

THANKS !!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Im thinking thermo / fans / head gasket - in that order - is the problem. Am i wide of the mark ?

THANKS !!
Hi

could also be a partially blocked radiator ... try flushing but if it's an old rad it may require replacing .. may also be the water pump ,

I had a similar problem with a Fiat Siecento .. fine on normal driving but overheated in traffic and climbing in low gear .. new rad cured it.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Yup, could be rad but also, air lock in system(does the heater get good and hot and stay stable heat wise), thermostat on the blink (unlikely but possible) and fan. Is it a viscous fan coupling, or electric? If viscouse it could be it's tired and not spinning fast enough when needed, if electric does it work period?

Older vehicles tend to run around 80-88 degrees C, so an indicated 80 sounds about right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Another vote for the rad, try flushing it in the reverse flow to normal, sounds a silly suggestion but use some strong traffic film remover and leave it to soak for a while.

Nick

Upvote 0

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
Hi we run a old 207d 1986 vintage 2.4 ( 4 cyl version your has 5 ) , the handbook states that normal operating temp is 70 - 95 deg but operation upto 100 degs for 10 mins is permissible :Eeek:

When I got mine it also suffered from overheating we fitted a new rad and removed the old cooling fan fitted an electric one, this made quite a improvement , although it will still hit 100 degs going up a steep hill in 2nd, then use old dodge switch heater on full blast
( we have fitted an additional heater matrix in rear of van ) which helps to reduce engine temp :thumb:

one for sale on ebay.de (in Germany)

Link Removed

regards Charlie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would start with th temp sensor/thermostat - make sure that is kicking in at the right temp. Test the fan, if viscous you can cheat and weld the centre so it stays on all the time, if electric, make sure it is cutting in.

Second electric fan would be a good option - if you have the skills, you can pick one up from a scrap yard and make one up, that can vbe turned on a switch should you be 'working' the engine, or stuck in traffic.

Flush the cooling system through and add coolant/antifreeze afterwards.

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am on the route of a partialy blocked rad.
Its not difficult to remove,so take it off and empty the contents preferably onto an old bed sheet so you can examin the contents.If the rad feels heavy after its empty then its probably gumed up.You can try backflushing but at the age of the van and if its the original rad then I dont hold much for your chances of dislodging the gunk by backflushing.Have never had a flushing agent that will remove time baked gunge in radiaters.
Best bet is to replace,otherwise its going to be costly in the end.
There used to be radiater repairers around that could recore your rad but am afraid not many left now due to the throw away nature of modern radiaters,you may be lucky though,its worth a try in yellow pages.Serks used to do them,but dont know now.Best of luck.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
And carrying on from Dave, if it's an old style rad, ie all metal, it may be possible to get it rebuilt with a thicker (more) core to improve cooling, just a thought?:thumb:

Upvote 0

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Hi Link Removed

just noticed you are from Swansea, try swansea radiators in llansamlet, down the road beside car arena, they do recores. Nick

Swansea Radiators & Autoparts

Units 9 & 10 Clarion Court

Clarion Close

Swansea Enterprise Park

Swansea

SA6 8RF

01792 793344

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
One more thought...those old Mercs trundle around all over North Africa,which is a damn sight hotter than South Wales in October with no problems at all.They are ALL grossley overloaded,so thats the main reason am leaning towards a blocked rad.I repeat dont trust backflushing...not with the age of the vehicle.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One more thought...those old Mercs trundle around all over North Africa,which is a damn sight hotter than South Wales in October with no problems at all.They are ALL grossley overloaded,so thats the main reason am leaning towards a blocked rad.I repeat dont trust backflushing...not with the age of the vehicle.

I agree, and backflushing may push crap into the engine block's water ways ..

one other thought.. you have checked there is nothing blocking the rad .. a piece of plastic or such like .. or even a build up of dirt, leaves etc between the fins .. ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jofski

Jofski

Free Member
Aug 31, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Dunno !
Exp
thank you all so much ! Sorry fopr the delay - been away from a pc.

Feel happier knowing the temperature ranges in the manual - seem to match mine.

Will address the pointers re: RAD first. Let you know ho I go !

Thanks all - a bunch of diamonds you lot are !

:Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back