LabCraft TP2 mkV Battery Box (1 Viewer)

wkel50

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Funster No
A long shot, but I have just got an old LabCraft TP2mkV leisure bettery charger/box. Now, I have had all leads replaced and it is charging from 240v supply. It has a small round socket & plug that is marked as 12vDC outlet which gives a 12.8ish output.
On the lid, it states - 3 Way Charge.
*From 240v Mains.
*Whilst in trailer trickle through normal wiring system.
*In boot of car boost charge - No additional equipment required.

Question - does anyone know how to charge it through 12vDC system.

There is only a 12vDC outlet? is it charged back through this?
Any help on htis old battery box much appriciated....

Attachments

• TP2mk5.jpg
    TP2mk5.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 107
  • TP2mk5a.jpg
    TP2mk5a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 122
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I had one on my first VW the 12v output is also the input for charging-.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

wkel50

Free Member
Jun 14, 2010
Funster No
I had one on my first VW the 12v output is also the input for charging-.
excellent, thanks for info, not much on net. So if I fit ciggie lighter plug to this lead, I can charge on the move then.....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ghost2013

Free Member
Aug 6, 2012
bristol
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
hi tp2

hi ya i recently aquired a tp2,
with no instructions or anything,
i have fitted a plug, so i can charge it,
and on 12v wire i fitted a cig socket,
and this works but do not know how to charge it in car whilst driving can ya help please,
:Smile:
and use it same time,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NobbySapper

Free Member
Jun 21, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Transit Hi top
Exp
3 yrs
I have just bought one, but can't get the green charge light to light up. It barely lights the amber one. That is with a battery that I have already charged from a seperate charger.
Is it broken?
Any ideas?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like the voltage regulator is faulty. quite possibly a dry joint on a charger that old

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
when we had one, we had a lead made up from the towbar wireing inside the car boot to a bugin plug and keep it in the boot for topping it up as we went for days out, moving it back to our trailer tent in the evening.

It was a great bit of kit, sadly nothing like it around now.

them was the days:thumb:

Upvote 0

euroamer

Free Member
Jun 3, 2013
Fulltiming in a motorhome
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
25+
TP2 mains charging

I’ve just bought a TP2 Mk V from a caravan breaker on eBay (yes, I know!!!). The mains charger doesn’t seem to be working. I installed a brand new 85AH leisure battery which was supplied ready charged. I then ran a small 3A coolbox for about 10 hours without the mains being connected. The battery voltage was 12.5V to start with (green and amber LEDs lit) and fell to 11.7V (only amber LED lit). I then disconnected the coolbox and connected the TP2 to the mains. The mains red LED lights up but not the charging LED. After an hour I checked the terminal voltage and got 11.7V, i.e. just the semi-discharged battery value. Before I send it back can anyone who has some knowledge of this product tell me at what nominal battery voltage the charger should kick in? Does anyone have a manual? I had hoped it would keep the battery topped up after only the slightest voltage drop but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Actually I had the original TP with an analogue readout,ie meter. That was nicked when my van was broken into,I then bought another the MkV which had the 'traffic lights' instead of the meter and a different connection system. I have heard it was also known as 'the battery frier'.
Have you contacted Labcraft for a copy of the manual? Surely they would have it in their record/archives that they could copy or scan and send to you. I think I still have my TP somewhere I may have to have regression therapy to find out where I've put the instructions.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I’ve just bought a TP2 Mk V from a caravan breaker on eBay (yes, I know!!!). The mains charger doesn’t seem to be working. I installed a brand new 85AH leisure battery which was supplied ready charged. I then ran a small 3A coolbox for about 10 hours without the mains being connected. The battery voltage was 12.5V to start with (green and amber LEDs lit) and fell to 11.7V (only amber LED lit). I then disconnected the coolbox and connected the TP2 to the mains. The mains red LED lights up but not the charging LED. After an hour I checked the terminal voltage and got 11.7V, i.e. just the semi-discharged battery value. Before I send it back can anyone who has some knowledge of this product tell me at what nominal battery voltage the charger should kick in? Does anyone have a manual? I had hoped it would keep the battery topped up after only the slightest voltage drop but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

read that as 'just a FULLY discharged battery value' if it's off load.

12v is generally accepted as flat at the recommended 50% discharged state

10.5v is totally dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back