Free Member
Sep 28, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Holdsworth
Exp
4yrs
We are going up to the Isle of Skye in October. Has anyone got any info to pass on please? We prefer to wildcamp where possible.

(OH WHY can't the UK be more like France - aires de camping in even the smallest of villages!) ::bigsmile:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
never been to skye in October whats the weather like

OP
OP
M

Michael and Annie

Free Member
Sep 28, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Holdsworth
Exp
4yrs
never been to skye in October whats the weather like

Not a clue - will let you know. The HUGE plus has to be that there will be no midges !!!

OOOPS! Just realised I posted this in the ENGLAND bit and not SCOTLAND!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
wild camp here 57° 6' 36" N, 5° 35' 24" W
Directions: After crossing Skye bridge follow the A87 towards Broadford. (This is the best place to stock up). Continue for half mile and turn left on B8083 for Kilbride. Take a left fork on minor road until reaching the track. Head South on track for Suisnish, and make camp.
Access: Walkers and 4x4's. Not for large vehicles

here Link Removed

here http://www.thehappycampers.co.uk/campsites/scotland/59/
: Wild Camp Spot
: Suitable for RVs OVER 30ft
latitude: 57.17801718437182
Longitude: -5.802154541015625

Kinloch Forest is about 10 miles along the A851 from the Armadale Ferry. The entrance to the forest is on the right heading towards Broadford.
The car park is about a mile down the narrow road from the entrance and is quiet & secluded.
From the car park there's a 2.75 mile forest walk to an abandoned village.
No signs saying that overnight parking is not allowed.
Address: Kinloch Forestry Commission Car Park
Isle of Skye
Region: Western Isles
Town: Kinlock

OP
OP
M

Michael and Annie

Free Member
Sep 28, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Holdsworth
Exp
4yrs
wild camp here 57° 6' 36" N, 5° 35' 24" W
Directions: After crossing Skye bridge follow the A87 towards Broadford. (This is the best place to stock up). Continue for half mile and turn left on B8083 for Kilbride. Take a left fork on minor road until reaching the track. Head South on track for Suisnish, and make camp.
Access: Walkers and 4x4's. Not for large vehicles

here Link Removed

here http://www.thehappycampers.co.uk/campsites/scotland/59/
: Wild Camp Spot
: Suitable for RVs OVER 30ft
latitude: 57.17801718437182
Longitude: -5.802154541015625

Kinloch Forest is about 10 miles along the A851 from the Armadale Ferry. The entrance to the forest is on the right heading towards Broadford.
The car park is about a mile down the narrow road from the entrance and is quiet & secluded.
From the car park there's a 2.75 mile forest walk to an abandoned village.
No signs saying that overnight parking is not allowed.
Address: Kinloch Forestry Commission Car Park
Isle of Skye
Region: Western Isles
Town: Kinlock

Very many thanks for the detailed advice! Very much appreciated!

Kind regards

Annie

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
On the road to ELGOL just across the bridge at Loch Slappin bit of old road across an old ford stayed there before for a couple of days here with lots of walks, and you can find the whitest marble I have ever seen, on the North east of the island, the Quaraing half way down car park to the cemetry flat and the inmates wont bother you, pm me for more:thumb:

OP
OP
M

Michael and Annie

Free Member
Sep 28, 2010
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Holdsworth
Exp
4yrs
On the road to ELGOL just across the bridge at Loch Slappin bit of old road across an old ford stayed there before for a couple of days here with lots of walks, and you can find the whitest marble I have ever seen, on the North east of the island, the Quaraing half way down car park to the cemetry flat and the inmates wont bother you, pm me for more:thumb:

Thank you!

Annie x

Star_gypsy

Free Member
Jun 15, 2011
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1987
We are going up to the Isle of Skye in October. Has anyone got any info to pass on please? We prefer to wildcamp where possible.

(OH WHY can't the UK be more like France - aires de camping in even the smallest of villages!) ::bigsmile:

Hi, I've never been to the isle of Skye but I've toured the North-West Highlands twice & I think you'll find it very similar. When I went there were hundreds of places to park, some of them very beautiful indeed. And most of them free or just with a little 'donation box' at the entrance. I think you'll find you'll have a wonderful time!:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We were there last October and the weather was fabulous, shorts and barbie, and, as posted above, no midges.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are going up to the Isle of Skye in October. Has anyone got any info to pass on please?

Don't get too excited. It was uninspiring in June. There's little there, if you like bleak and in October maybe Super Bleak with some terrible roads you'll be delighted.

I did enjoy Dunvegan Castle in the sunshine.

The top loop, A585, had many wild camping spots but grim in places.

For me, Loch Lomond, Fort William, up the Great Glen, down the Whisky Trail, along Deeside, over Glen Shee all much better.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I Like bleak and I like the isle of Skye. Not my favourite, I tend to prefer the westerross area for pure rugged beauty.

However the point of my post is that in the July issue of MMM there is a write up on the Isle of Sky that you may find usefull. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back