I want new batteries (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi all,

I'm considering replacing my existing leisure batteries with three new ones, so I'm looking for the best cheap batteries I can find.

If you were buying 3 new 85ah batteries, what would you buy, why, and where from? ::bigsmile:

TIA

Bryan

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Franks Caravans sold me and any other Funsters 110 amp batteries for £55 at the Shepton show.
Since last year we have had ten from them and they have all been fine. They come with a two year guarantee.

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
A good replacement would be the Elecsol 100 amp batteries

Hi all,

I'm considering replacing my existing leisure batteries with three new ones, so I'm looking for the best cheap batteries I can find.

If you were buying 3 new 85ah batteries, what would you buy, why, and where from? ::bigsmile:

TIA

Bryan

Bryan

I have Numax leasure batteries at present on my yank..2 x 85 amps.. they were about £75 each.

But I am thinking of the Elecsol 100 amp batteries on sale at

Link Removed

They have them at £91.00 inc vat but delivery is extra ..5 year guarentee.. they do the item with poles each way.. 278l x 175 w x 190 h mm
designed for deep cycle.

Bob

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi all,

Bryan

You should join a decent forum and search for LUCAS, loads of advice.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But I am thinking of the Elecsol 100 amp batteries on sale at
Bob

Dim memory of terrible guarantee problems with that name, I may be wrong but do some googling on elecsol. Could have been here or The Dark Side.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bryan.. I've posted this one before,

This company sell direct to the public so no middle shark.

http://www.lincon.co.uk/

Don't waste money on Elecsol .. Google and see why,

I bought a 120AH one several years ago for a euro van.. it failed after about 3 years , Elecsol offered 2/5 discount on a replacement ( the balance of the warranty period ) .. I told them to stuff it and have only bought cheap ones since ..

Battery warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.. the only difference between a 1 , 3, and 5 year warranty is the price ..

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
TWO lots of 'Elecsol' batteries. 2 x 110 ah.....2 X Took back under warranty.
After much time wasting at the M/Home dealer....reported to Trading Standards.
Money refunded in full within 48 hrs.
Searched and searched all over the 'Net' and read & read.....
If its any help I have decided to settle for 'BANNER' batteries..[ a wee bit expensive for a Yorkshire chap] but maybe get some good/better use. PS Still trying to find the cheapest supplier for 2.. watching this thread with a keen eye.:winky:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My recommendation came based on the OP request "best cheap batteries "

Surely Electrasol aren't "cheap"

I was conned into buying one some time ago and it was a total waste of time, money and payload...

JJ

PS. IMO you can buy an awful lot of £55 batteries for the money for one Electrasol....

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
My recommendation came based on the OP request "best cheap batteries "

Surely Electrasol aren't "cheap"

I was conned into buying one some time ago and it was a total waste of time, money and payload...

JJ
PS. IMO you can buy an awful lot of £55 batteries for the money for one Electrasol....

This is very true.... but since swapping all our bulbs and our 2 cheap leisure batteries for 2 x 6 v Trojans , we have had no problems with power what so ever.
Now that the winter is drawing in , and the heating will be on a lot more (ours is Webasto diesel which deadens a cheap battery in no time )
we know we wont wake up freezing , to flat batteries.
We hardly ever have hook up you see.
Of course it helped that we were very fortunate to be given ours , from a heavy goods mechanic friend , as a favour / job swap thing .

He said Trojans are to batteries what Honda's are to generators

His words not mine:ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
re the Lincoln batteries of Southend on Sea

I sent them an email and they just phoned. Spoke to a chap call Bill the manager. Very helpful

an 85 amp is £53.39 collected.

But I posed the question of a bigger amps and he came up with a Canadian battery used on boats - deep cycle, very similar to the two I had on the RV on delivery. They are the same size as the ones I have taken off and hold in reserve. 105 amps = £84.61p plus vat collect only... Bryan wants 85 amps, but I want more as the heating system on the Winnibago draws 9 amps when it is running... OK if we use the generator all the time to keep the batteries charged. But not so good when you do not.

I am going to re measure the hole in the floor and see if they will fit, but I think from measuring the ones I hav e they will.

Bob:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I sent them an email and they just phoned. Spoke to a chap call Bill the manager. Very helpful

an 85 amp is £53.39 collected.

Bob:Eeek:

I always collected, used to live about 8 miles from the factory ... always very helpful and friendly , the guy who serves reeks of acid .. no fancy shop or sakes people .. :roflmto: they know their stuff :thumb:

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
ooo again i can contribute

Since getting my RV and finding out about everything on the net from you forum guru types and a sister site in US of A as there are no manuals it appears and everything is generic, Ive been researching things, one of which is batterys.

If you want to links Ill post them and forgive me if Im teaching granny to suck eggs here...

Leisure batteries deep cycle fail because they drop below a certain percentage..lets say 50%.
When next charged they have already grown crystals on the plate throuigh the chemical reaction, this is known as sulfation.

When the supplier tells you the battery can be recharged 500 times he means that on the 500th charge you might get a little bit of power into those batteries but not much as they are going to fail soon.

The reason is the sulfation. Sulfation actual waterproofs the sides of the plate in the battery cell so the liquid can no longer touch the plate which is all so very important for charging and storing.

So to recap,
from the first recharge you battery starts to fail.....nice huh?

Good news...you can buy desulfation units that charge your battery with a desulfation process and convert the sulfation back into the liquid..be it acid gel or whatever.

This desulfation process wiill extend the battery life from 500 deep cycles expectancy to around 900, almost doubling the batterys life.

These boffin in the article writes..he estimates 85 percent of dead batteries thrown away are in fact suffering sulfation and can be reconditioned through desulfation and will be 100 percent efficient again.

Now the boffin gets interesting...which is probably more than I am at the moment writing this :ROFLMAO:

He then advises going down your local warehouses on trading estates and getting folk lift batteries or golf clubs for buggy batteries that are dead and then reconditioning them.

The cost of a good heavy duty desulfation charger.....ermmm about the cost of a new battery according to my research....:Eeek:

However if you plan to rv for more than 500 deep cycles and you do manage to get free dead batteries then it will pay for itself on your first successful freebie.

Why dont companies do the desulfation themselves...1 they dont have time 2 they dont know about it.

This is the route I am going down at the moment, Ill let you know if Im successful.

Oh and last but not least sulfation is also the cause of why long term unused batteries fail. My rv had 2600miles on the clock and had been stood for nearly 4 years and it puzzled me why the battery...brand new 4 years ago wouldnt hold a charge...total discharge trying to start the genny...now I know the answer..and now so do you.

Hope this helps
regards
Harry

oo0 here is the link to the boffin

Link Removed

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Bryan.. I've posted this one before,

This company sell direct to the public so no middle shark.

http://www.lincon.co.uk/

Don't waste money on Elecsol .. Google and see why,

I bought a 120AH one several years ago for a euro van.. it failed after about 3 years , Elecsol offered 2/5 discount on a replacement ( the balance of the warranty period ) .. I told them to stuff it and have only bought cheap ones since ..

Battery warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.. the only difference between a 1 , 3, and 5 year warranty is the price ..

Thanks Jim, can't see any prices on the website, do you have to ring them for prices or am I missing something?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Since getting my RV and finding out about everything on the net from you forum guru types and a sister site in US of A as there are no manuals it appears and everything is generic, Ive been researching things, one of which is batterys.

If you want to links Ill post them and forgive me if Im teaching granny to suck eggs here...

Leisure batteries deep cycle fail because they drop below a certain percentage..lets say 50%.
When next charged they have already grown crystals on the plate throuigh the chemical reaction, this is known as sulfation.

When the supplier tells you the battery can be recharged 500 times he means that on the 500th charge you might get a little bit of power into those batteries but not much as they are going to fail soon.

The reason is the sulfation. Sulfation actual waterproofs the sides of the plate in the battery cell so the liquid can no longer touch the plate which is all so very important for charging and storing.

So to recap,
from the first recharge you battery starts to fail.....nice huh?

Good news...you can buy desulfation units that charge your battery with a desulfation process and convert the sulfation back into the liquid..be it acid gel or whatever.

This desulfation process wiill extend the battery life from 500 deep cycles expectancy to around 900, almost doubling the batterys life.

These boffin in the article writes..he estimates 85 percent of dead batteries thrown away are in fact suffering sulfation and can be reconditioned through desulfation and will be 100 percent efficient again.

Now the boffin gets interesting...which is probably more than I am at the moment writing this :ROFLMAO:

He then advises going down your local warehouses on trading estates and getting folk lift batteries or golf clubs for buggy batteries that are dead and then reconditioning them.

The cost of a good heavy duty desulfation charger.....ermmm about the cost of a new battery according to my research....:Eeek:

However if you plan to rv for more than 500 deep cycles and you do manage to get free dead batteries then it will pay for itself on your first successful freebie.

Why dont companies do the desulfation themselves...1 they dont have time 2 they dont know about it.

This is the route I am going down at the moment, Ill let you know if Im successful.

Oh and last but not least sulfation is also the cause of why long term unused batteries fail. My rv had 2600miles on the clock and had been stood for nearly 4 years and it puzzled me why the battery...brand new 4 years ago wouldnt hold a charge...total discharge trying to start the genny...now I know the answer..and now so do you.

Hope this helps
regards
Harry

oo0 here is the link to the boffin

Link Removed
Same route that I went down,got 3X ex UPS bateries from ebay coming up to 4 years ago now,charged them with a 3 stage auto charger and have not had hookup since,cost £25 each.
Just bought 2 X similar 6 volts off ebay for my Euro camper for £50 done same with them,tried them out in the drive with TV,heater blower and 4 X lights on all night and they were fully charged by 2 pm from the solars.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Franks Caravans sold me and any other Funsters 110 amp batteries for £55 at the Shepton show.
Since last year we have had ten from them and they have all been fine. They come with a two year guarantee.

JJ

only £49.99 from frank at Prestwold show same 2 year guarrantee

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back