scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I found this Jim..

For satellite reception, the 'skew' angle of the LNB is also important. The 'skew' angle represents the horizontal/vertical plane of the LNB. When a satellite dish is facing towards a satellite at due South, the plane of the LNB will be vertical (straight down). As the dish is moved around either East or West to receive other Satellites the LNB will need to be tilted (rotated), clockwise for West and counter clockwise for East. Use the calculated LNB skew angle only as a starting point, but since some LNBs (especially for the mini dish) are already internally tilted and also some satellites send the frequencies somewhat rotated, it cannot be fully relied on. So, the best way to adjust the LNB skew is to set it at zero degree and then to rotate it in very small steps both ways while keeping an eye on the signal quality bar on the TV screen. Once this is at maximum, fix the LNB. Note that on some LNBs, the rotation is achieved my moving the cable socket at the bottom of the LNB laterally.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
some more things to take account of with skew

Link Removed

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've only ever needed to change the skew angle when right down in France, the furthest south we have been in the MH.

Cheers,

Jock.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
And I guess, if you are not parked level or your tripod is not level this skews it and you need to re-adjust.

This is something a lot of people never realise. How many times do you hear of MHer's say they practice at home then cannot get a picture when they are parked up.

I have seen some trying when parked up on Marine Parade and the likes and do not take into account the camber of the road?

It's simple to say we can live just off level, but remember your sat. dish may not be able to without adjustment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's simple to say we can live just off level, but remember your sat. dish may not be able to without adjustment.

I can't say I've ever seen skew adjustment on manual or automatic systems.

Got to take your hat off to those that track on the move.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Got to take your hat off to those that track on the move.

They do have them Brian, the latest Camos crankup has it but you need access to the rear of the 'dish' to change it, interesting if you were on the move. :Eeek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Ours is manual Brian, and to adjust the skew, I need to get onto the roof, and slacken off three cross head screws, then slightly rotate the LNB until we gain the best quality signal.

Thankfully, this remedial action is rarely required here in the UK and Northern Europe. :Smile:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back