Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
Ello all very interested in kountrylite from Calder Leisure any advise or experiances would be more than gratefull,we are thinking of travelling for a few months at a time different areas etc rather than just camping in one area .

Many thanks:thumb:

Grey Hair Is The Crown Of Splendor.::bigsmile:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
There are a couple of members that have that model on here wether they are in this country or not at the mo i dont know, they are a nice unit.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Ello all very interested in kountrylite from Calder Leisure any advise or experiances would be more than gratefull,we are thinking of travelling for a few months at a time different areas etc rather than just camping in one area .

Many thanks:thumb:

Grey Hair Is The Crown Of Splendor.::bigsmile:
Hiya had mine now for more than 12 months and is excellent , its a little daunting to tow at first as it is a fair sized lump on the back of you. Highly recommend Calder they are good friendly folks to deal with, if you choose the 5th wheeler route to go down ,spend as much time thinking and enquiring what the best pick-up or alternative is to tow . Happy hunting Al.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

Kenny and Dolly

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
east sussex
Funster No
MH
soon to be RV
Exp
New But have had carravans
kountrylite

Thanks Al for your reply I have been looking a lot like the Kountrylite because it is 7ft 6 and the fact that the pickup is more economical have you had any problems getting on and off sites in uk .Looks like you tow with a Navara I was thinking along those lines or maybe a Toyota .
Many thanks , Ken:thumb:

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Ken,

I am also interested in Kountry lite or maybe the new Eco lite from Calder. I am planning to visit their place outside Edinburgh sometime in the New Year to have a good look at the new models.

I have only heard & read good things on here about Calder.:thumb:

It seems that the perceived wisdom on here :Eeek: reckons that any of the heavier 8ft US 5vers should only be pulled by US Pickups. Nice as they are they are too big ( and too juicy) for me to use as a run around.

Good Luck

jbcampbell

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
6 months
Thanks Al for your reply I have been looking a lot like the Kountrylite because it is 7ft 6 and the fact that the pickup is more economical have you had any problems getting on and off sites in uk .Looks like you tow with a Navara I was thinking along those lines or maybe a Toyota .

Hi Ken, we took delivery of a Kountrylite twin slide at Easter this year. I have to say it has lived up to our (high) expectations, particularly in terms of comfort, space, and equipment levels, and is in a different league to a 26 ft. twin axle caravan we had a few years ago. The folk at Calder are very helpful and sound. They exhibit at quite a few shows around the country so you don't need to go to Edinburgh to see what the fifth wheels are like. We pull with a Hilux 3.0L Diesel automatic which copes pretty well. The majority of owners seem to favour the Navara and there probably isn't much to choose between them. Calder modify the pickup by fitting the hitch, the electric brake system, adjustable air bag suspension for the rear axle, and "re-plate" the vehicles to a Gross Train Mass of 6500kg. The Hilux has a small advantage here because it is a little lighter than the Navara and therefore gives a bit more flexibility with regard to the payload you can carry.
We have stayed on 8 caravan sites this year in the UK and have had no difficulty getting on to the pitches. When we have explained to the site Wardens/managers what we are bringing they been very enthusiastic and helpful and tend to allocate a generous pitch. So far we have been the only fifth wheel on each of the sites we have visited. Initially we were surprised at the level of interest the trailer creates but are now getting used to it as we usually finnish up giving at least one guided tour.
Best wishes John

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
hi
crosscountry RV in Mildenhall Suffolk are now also doing a 7'6 wide 5er-----------we have not seen one yet, but it's worth taking a look at as many different ones as possible------you will be spending loadsamoney so try and get the best you can for it !!!!!!!!!!!!
Same applys to truck !!!!!
Nigel & Pamala----------------Texas

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Kountrylite

We've had our Kountrylite 26RL for 3 seasons now. Towed by a chipped Navara. On steady motorway trip had indicated 26mpg. With more mixed journeys get about 22 or so. Solo I get 35mpg locally and as much as 42 on careful motorway journeys.

We have pitched at Caravan Club & Caravan & Camping Club sites. They prefer to be warned that you have a fifth wheel. It seems to me that wardens are more concerned than they need to be about length & weight. My view is that I drive to a pitch carefully & cause no more disturbance than I did when we had a traditional caravan.

We've had excellent service from Calder.

My personal concern is manoeuvring the unit when we store it in limited space at home. I'm not impressed with my reversing skills and consider training would be a good idea!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
While you are looking at different units--and you should compare as many as possible----also look at the label which WILL be on the trailer (usually front l/h/s) to see GROSS weight , then check that your intended truck can legally tow it.(as well as being man enough for it). Our trailer is not a heavy one but we still run a diesel Dodge, apart from hitch and brake controller, it required no mods.,as it is built for this type of work, I prefer to have a truck that is 'too' big than risk one that may not quite be up to it, just my thoughts.
Good luck with your search.
Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back