Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we set off in 2 weeks to croatia, we are going to italy on the way, ive done croatia etc before but never italy please could you give me a few pointers on things there. ive read the driving is hectic? do you have to book campsites around lake garda or can you just turn up? some advise of every 1 who went on the italian job would be good, thanks tommy

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
We had our VW T25 camper stolen in Rome, so I would advise against going there

:Angry:

Ask Tony about the drive down there to retrieve the caravan................................:thumb:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
On the other hand, I, like a t--t, left my vehicle parked up and unlocked for two days in Rome - it wasn't touched.

Don't know about with a M/H, but I've never found driving in Italy any more of a problem than anywhere else. On rural roads its a bit like France, where locals seem to have no idea that there's anybody else on the road and so will make manoeuvres at the last minute and without looking in mirrors - a bit like Shrewsbury!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Never look in your rear-view mirror - what you might see will give you a heart attack and there is nothing you can do about it anyway...
Remember all road signs are purely advisory - including No Entry and traffic lights.
Enjoy
Patrick

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
We have been in Italy for 2 months now. The driving is reliabily unreliable. I would suggest you book especially around the Lakes as the italians are out in force July and August.

Bill and Carole

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we set off in 2 weeks to croatia, we are going to italy on the way, ive done croatia etc before but never italy please could you give me a few pointers on things there. ive read the driving is hectic? do you have to book campsites around lake garda or can you just turn up? some advise of every 1 who went on the italian job would be good, thanks tommy

It seems to me that the Italians have gone soft, there was no madness this year. Come to think of it, we have only provoked madness by overtaking them on an English motorbike. Then it's death or glory for them to keep up. Naples is SOMETHING ELSE, you do need a full brain removal to get a driver's licence there. But Pompeii and Herculanium are must see places, stick to the motorways and use the campsite right outside Pompeii.

There are hundreds of camp sites round Lake Garda, you might need to book for a specific one but you certainly will find a place to stay. Camping Butterfly, Peschiera del Garda is as near perfect as you can get for olde fartes, ie no huge childrens play area but everything else you need in a perfect position. Right next door is one at least 10 times bigger, but that bit further from the town, I can't picture that ever filling up. Next to that is the huge water park. Essential visit is Sirmione, by bus or boat. An excellent trip was go to Malchesini and up the cable car. You can see the whole lake from the top, nice mountain top walk.

Loads of campsites around Venice and I believe you can stop overnight in the lorry park on the island if you want a quickie.

Public transport is incredibly good. So you can easily visit Venice from Peschiera del Garda if you don't want to drive there.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.4483,10.694718&spn=0.02243,0.054932&t=h&z=15

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=45.486974,10.608845&spn=0.044829,0.109863&t=h&z=14

Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006
Hi,
I,ve been to Italy a few times never had any problems.
I can recomend Camping Weekend and Fornella campsites. Lake Garda is fab.
Hope you enjoy your trip.
Cam.:thumb:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Italian cars don't seem to have indicators -at least we never saw them when the drivers were changing lanes! Apart from that it was ok.

Don't forget the red striped warning panel on the back if you take bikes.

And something I didn't know till some Italian friends at Diano Marina told us.
It is illegal to buy fake goods, ( but not to sell them!). :Doh:There are loads of counterfeit goods sellers at the tourist spots and police have apparently arrested and fined tourists who have bought these goods!
Good job I didn't get those orange neon plastic Gucci shades....:Eeek:
Lucille

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Driving in italy

One surprise was to be told by an Italian friend that lights should be on at ALL times and not just at night. I guess it makes sense with all those thousands of tunnels.

Have a great trip, Dave

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
One surprise was to be told by an Italian friend that lights should be on at ALL times and not just at night. I guess it makes sense with all those thousands of tunnels.

Have a great trip, Dave

Yes that's a fact.

Also, if you are over 3.5tonnes gross weight, different (i.e. slower) speed limits apply.

John

Doddy999

Free Member
May 3, 2010
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8/5/2010
Have toured Italy for many years in a 40ft 12mtr coach, never had a problem
not sure whether that was due to experience or my size.
Now have a 24ft M/H so will probably S**t it next year thinking about it:roflmto: when
I go.
Just do it like you where in England, but on the other side of road.
Having said that used to see loads of right hand drive lorries (Italian) over there never figuered that out ? Any idea's out there.

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Because of the numerous mountain passes in Italy, it was considered to be much safer for the driver to be nearer the edge of the road in order to judge passing clearances. Due to greater EU integration and increased cross-border haulage traffic, the vast majority of Italian HGV's changed from RHD to LHD steering during the 70's.

It was the law in Switzerland for HGV's over a certain weight and size to be RHD but as roads have widened, safety barriers have been built and vehicle technology has improved, LHD has become the norm.

bunny2

Free Member
Aug 18, 2010
South West
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Camping Jesolo International?

Hi has anyone ever stayed at Camping Jesolo International?
We plan to stay there at Easter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back