Stuff one needs when first collecting a Globescout? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Popped up to see the van today, it's there and all looks fine! Didn't have a super detailed check (doh!) as I'll go through the checklist on the day, but the paint etc all looked fine and I just wanted to check it was all there really to spec and decide on the options. Looks nice. It's even got shiney chrome bits on the steering wheel.

I believe it is a NCC (National Caravan Council) standard that new leisure vehicles should be supplied with a 25-metre orange hook-up cable. So if not offered, make sure you ask for one. It should be FOC.
It's not FOC here apparantly, I've got my 10m reel anyway so that'll have to do for a while! Maybe it's only for caravans?

I went for just a single Gaslow and rearview camera as add-ons. I could have saved a bit with DIY and careful sourcing but at the end of the day I can use them straight off the bat and don't have to start immediately faffing with it, which was the whole purpose of buying a new one :).

I tried out the silent close on the slidey door too, works a treat, just softly close it and the back of the door gets grabbed and drawn in. Result!

There was a thread here on MHF recently about paying for vans with a debit card on the day, that's no longer what they do there so the plan is to installment pay up to the CC protected amount until collection day and pay the balance then. Any better ideas? Suitcase of fivers?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Popped up to see the van today, it's there and all looks fine! Didn't have a super detailed check (doh!) as I'll go through the checklist on the day, but the paint etc all looked fine and I just wanted to check it was all there really to spec and decide on the options. Looks nice. It's even got shiney chrome bits on the steering wheel.

It's not FOC here apparantly, I've got my 10m reel anyway so that'll have to do for a while! Maybe it's only for caravans?

I went for just a single Gaslow and rearview camera as add-ons. I could have saved a bit with DIY and careful sourcing but at the end of the day I can use them straight off the bat and don't have to start immediately faffing with it, which was the whole purpose of buying a new one :).

I tried out the silent close on the slidey door too, works a treat, just softly close it and the back of the door gets grabbed and drawn in. Result!

There was a thread here on MHF recently about paying for vans with a debit card on the day, that's no longer what they do there so the plan is to installment pay up to the CC protected amount until collection day and pay the balance then. Any better ideas? Suitcase of fivers?

Hi,
Please be very careful about payment.
If the total cost of the van is over £30k (or whatever the limit is) then you are not protected for ANY part of the payment you make by credit card, even if it is below that cost. So a deposit would not be covered. Nor would splitting the payment between 2 cards.
The only way to be safe is to pay on delivery.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
What no WhooshBang! You will be missing out on the proper PVC experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks Grianan, yes you are correct, if the total amount is above £30k it's simply not covered at all. Doh!

So I need to find safe way to pay, can't quite understand why in 2019 there doesn't seem to be an easy answer. People buy these vans all the time, but I don't fancy being exposed during the process.... and can't see a need for it.
It's just the time between paying tens of thousands and getting the Bill of Sale...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Make sure the bill of sale is sitting there waiting to be handed over to you as soon as you pay on pick-up day, that way you will have proof that you own it. If they insist on you paying more before collection, politely refuse.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Make sure the bill of sale is sitting there waiting to be handed over to you as soon as you pay on pick-up day, that way you will have proof that you own it. If they insist on you paying more before collection, politely refuse.
what Minxy says.
We organised to pay on collection by debit card. Bank said there was no limit so it would be ok.
In the end it turned out they had to do some remedial work so they delivered the van to us.
Then it turned out there was a limit after all. That was embarrassing.
If you have two cards you could split it. We just made a second payment the following day.

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks guys/ Paying on collection is great in theory and for security, but appears to be a bit of a challenge.

They don't accept the whole payment on credit card (£10k limit), or debit card (due to charges and people's cards usually not working on the day).

Which leaves a bank transfer on the day (via laptop), but thanks to online banking limits appears to be a problem too. This is why for them a series of payments up to the day is an answer, but due to the amount involved is a small but unnecessary risk.

I can only think of perhaps getting the limit on online transfers raised and/or getting family members to help via a 'synchronised' online payment flurry' at the required time. Any other ideas?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks guys/ Paying on collection is great in theory and for security, but appears to be a bit of a challenge.

They don't accept the whole payment on credit card (£10k limit), or debit card (due to charges and people's cards usually not working on the day).

Which leaves a bank transfer on the day (via laptop), but thanks to online banking limits appears to be a problem too. This is why for them a series of payments up to the day is an answer, but due to the amount involved is a small but unnecessary risk.

I can only think of perhaps getting the limit on online transfers raised and/or getting family members to help via a 'synchronised' online payment flurry' at the required time. Any other ideas?
It really depends on how much we're talking about. You can split the money between a few bank accounts/different banks and pay that way in several chunks. Or put some on your credit card (assuming you have a good allowance) ... especially good if you have cash-back on transactions! You could go to the bank if there's one local and do it there so no limit on transfer amount, or use good old cash or a mix of cash and transfer.

Reactions: GPW
OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
You could go to the bank if there's one local and do it there so no limit on transfer amount
Now that's a great idea, there is a branch there plus it is a weekday when I'll collect it, I just need to chat to the bank to verify and confirm beforehand. That would be ideal; one simple transaction, job done, just like the old days.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Recently bought a new MoHo from SMC. The settlement comprised a modest deposit paid when ordered at the NEC, the part-exchange value on our previous MoHo (effectively a payment at the time of handover of new vehicle), and further payment on the day (after inspecting the new MoHo) by on-line inter-account transfer and credit card for the remaking balance over the daily on-line payment limit.

Not sure about other banks, but Nat-West have a daily limit for personal accounts of £10k by Debit Card and £20k by bank transfer. SMC have a policy of not accepting more than £10k by Credit Card, even if your personal limit is higher.

For the bank transfer, I set up a payment of £10 a few days earlier to check that I had correctly entered the payment details for their bank. They confirmed by email receipt. Using the payment details set up, I then transferred £20k immediately before completion of final paperwork on the day (using the Nat-West App on my mobile phone) and this payment arrived in their account within 5 minutes. (Unlikely to be of consequence when buying/taking delivery of a new MoHo, but I understand that on-line payments made after 18.30 do not reach the recipients account until the following working day.)

Good luck with your payment and your new Globecar.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I believe it is a NCC (National Caravan Council) standard that new leisure vehicles should be supplied with a 25-metre orange hook-up cable. So if not offered, make sure you ask for one. It should be FOC.

Globecar aren't NCC approved though so this won't apply to them.

Still no harm in asking the dealer to throw one in though.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Globecar aren't NCC approved though so this won't apply to them.

Still no harm in asking the dealer to throw one in though.
I did wonder about that? Also wondered if the dealer might be a member, even if Globecar aren't.

But, whatever, it sounds as though the dealer isn't up for providing a complimentary ehu lead. :(

The 2 dealers we've purchased 3 vans from (1 used and 2 new), provided a hook-up cable. The used van had a used cable, and the new vans, new cables. And I was told it was an NCC requirement. ;)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I did wonder about that? Also wondered if the dealer might be a member, even if Globecar aren't.

But, whatever, it sounds as though the dealer isn't up for providing a complimentary ehu lead. :(

The 2 dealers we've purchased 3 vans from (1 used and 2 new), provided a hook-up cable. The used van had a used cable, and the new vans, new cables. And I was told it was an NCC requirement. ;)

I've checked and the dealer isn't a member either. My van came second hand from them and wasn't supplied with anything extra, but we had most stuff that we needed from our previous camping/caravanning days. I suspect that your dealers probably are members.

It was my first time buying from a dealer and I think the key to getting anything extra is to get it agreed at the negotiating stage. I'll definitely be doing a bit more hard bargaining should I buy from a dealer again.

It's a shame for the OP though. :cautious:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I've checked and the dealer isn't a member either. My van came second hand from them and wasn't supplied with anything extra, but we had most stuff that we needed from our previous camping/caravanning days. I suspect that your dealers probably are members.

It was my first time buying from a dealer and I think the key to getting anything extra is to get it agreed at the negotiating stage. I'll definitely be doing a bit more hard bargaining should I buy from a dealer again.

Totally agree about the negotiating stage.

When the deal is close to being settled, and the best price achieved, I always suggest 2 years of habitation servicing would seal the deal.

The salesman is desperate to conclude the sale, he/she knows the trade cost of hab services are not too expensive, they are one and two years away in any case. Additionally, it shows you (the client) are prepared to enter a long term relationship with the dealer. If they are really tough, they may only offer 1 service, but got ask for 2. ;) Worth a few hundred quid more in any case. (y)

Of course, only any point if the dealer is reasonably accessible.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Just to add, if by "Bill of Sale" you mean "INVOICE" , they can send that to you before you turn up
I would not pay a single penny before an invoice was raised

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!

No worries though as I already have a nice 10m reel!
Also even without any power at all it's still luxury after my 2 man tent, with two air beds in it there wasn't much room for us, let alone having our own table and chairs inside :). Mind you my tent didn't need a reversing camera and was about a thousand times less.

Minxy Girl : Thanks for the bank tip, checked it out today! Wander into any branch of your bank and they can transfer up to £100k in about 10 seconds, so the only worry will be the loud sucking noise as one's bank account is converted into campervan...

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Hurrah, got it back today!!

Handover was a bit delayed as the sales guys are wonderful, but don't chat much to service! Service did quickly sort out the issues they could, but it seems Dometic built a bunch of fridges with the wrong jetting - which don't stay alight for more than about 5 minutes, so that needs the new jet. As do many others.. but the EHU got it nice and chilly.
I'm an even bigger fan of the basic compressor fridge now :)
Also got some wine in the goody basket, and the basket itself is quite useful..!

It's quite a nice steer the Peugeot, nice amount of power, rather nice cruise control that shows you the speed and can bump it up and down in 1mph increments - perfect for managing lorries. Got about 36 mpg on the way back at 60mph, at least according to Peugeot.

At Smeaton the bed was comfy, the dinette spacious and the slightly larger bathroom is actually really nice, there's a trigger on the shower and it's not cramped at all - very pleased with that. Luxury!! Just needs a towel rail and a hook for the shower head. The bathroom was the main reason to buy a Sevel size van for me so that was very welcome.
The toilet comes with a small complimentary bottle of thetford blue, so I gave that back to SMC for safe disposal and used one of the bio washing tabs I'd brought along. Smeaton doesn't have a Globescout compatible grey water drain so I drove back with that showing 50% full and out came out 2.5 buckets to water the garden.

I also downloaded the Truma CP plus panel manual in PDF and figured out most of the foibles, the only remaining mystery is how to get it to say what temperature it thinks the van/sensor is, as at home sometimes I like to knock the heating up 1-2C over ambient.

Oh and the Minxy plan of using a local bank worked well!

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Congratulations on your successful hand over. Happy camping. :cool: We have the 2016 Fiat Globescout and love it! However our gross weight was 3300 Kg but since had it upgraded to 3500 Kg. Would love to know what your max axle weights are to compare. Ours are front 1750 Kg, Rear 1900 Kg.
Brian

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Congratulations on your successful hand over. Happy camping. :cool: We have the 2016 Fiat Globescout and love it! However our gross weight was 3300 Kg but since had it upgraded to 3500 Kg. Would love to know what your max axle weights are to compare. Ours are front 1750 Kg, Rear 1900 Kg.
Brian

Thanks!!
I wanted the 16" wheels so went for the Maxi chassis. There's a certain amount of confusion whether you need a maxi for 16" wheels, but it appeared to be a requirement, it's on 3500kg at the moment with a 660kg payload IIRC.
The 'Plus' model has a 3500kg GVW anyway even on the Light/15" wheels BTW.

How do I find out the max axle weights - which booklet or form should it be on?

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
You will find details on the V.I.N. plate. Your Peugeot owners handbook will tell you where to find it. Usually fitted to the engine compartment front crossmember. Also found on manufacturer's certificate of conformity. :cool:
Brian

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Ah I have the certificate somewhere, I'll look that up later.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
What no WhooshBang! You will be missing out on the proper PVC experience.
My RR is older so I get whoosh-bank-booger-Open-whoosh-bang-booger-reopen-whoosh-bang-hooray-start engine ‘door open’ (repeat - see above). Enjoy the van I do love mine really ???

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
older so I get whoosh-ba

I think the soft-close is a standard Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen (Sevel) part so it may be possible to retro fit it, unless they modified the door and it fits only later doors.

Does seem to work though :)

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
You will find details on the V.I.N. plate. Your Peugeot owners handbook will tell you where to find it. Usually fitted to the engine compartment front crossmember. Also found on manufacturer's certificate of conformity. :cool:
Brian

Here's the data from Peugeot (pre-conversion numbers), does this help?

I'm not really sure how to interpret them!

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
You have max load on front of 2100kg and rear 2400kg. This loading is much better than my van. Plenty of scope for uprating if you need to in future. You have made a good choice especially as I am not aware of many Globescout models having this capacity!:cool:
Brian

OP
OP
GPW

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Thanks for decoding it!

I was really just after the 16" wheels for a smoother ride, but this may have been nulled by the harder suspension of the maxi chassis that I had to get to enable them :). It does ride quite nicely though, doubt I'll ever use the payload but it looks like if I do I don't risk overloading an axle so much.

I learned that the key to 'deep' vehicle items like paint colour and chassis happen right at the start of the chain, I was lucky SMC had accidentally ordered a 16" and was already in a build slot.

I also think the 16" wheels make the van look at bit chunkier which also works for me :). Not really sure why Sevel didn't just go for the bigger PCD throught the light and maxi chassis types.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back