Most compressible quality quilts (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Time to buy some new quilts.
Looking for a summer and winter one to alternate top/bottom depending where we are.
Warmth of winter is important as we like snug.
But more importantly is the ability to fold them and squash them both up into the overcab cupboard.
Any particular ones recommended?
Cheers!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We bought one a couple of years ago that comprised a very thin quilt, and a medium quilt that popped together. The idea that you could use it all year. When its warm you use the ultra thin, cooler, the medium on its own and when its cold you use the two together and its superb. Don't know where we got it, but its a great idea, so I am sure you'll find one like it.

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
We found the really basic ASDA or Tesco ones just fine - purely man-made fibre, can squash down really well - in fact most recent one came in its own zipped bag about the size of a large pillow - and cheap enough to replace regularly.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
quilts

i tried sleeping bags but couldnt get on with them. Bought a goose down one which is really light, folds up really small, warm in winter and cool in summer as it natural fibre. S.

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Thanks so far

We had a dual one we can put together, but we want to take BOTH light and thick as we'll be going from snowboarding to morocco, so will have one top and one bottom and swap. Joining together isn't necessary.

We've tried the man-made ones, but not sure they compress well enough. I know they come in a pillow sized pack, but is it possible to ever put it back in lol! If so, I'd like to know exactly which one as it sounds ideal.

A real down quilt also sounds nice, but do the feathers mind being scrunched every day?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
we want to take BOTH light and thick as we'll be going from snowboarding to morocco,

you may get a surprise, it can get mighty cold during the night in Morocco, especially in the desert.

Duvets are great for a fixed bed but a pain if you have to pack away each morning ..
I'm surprised you don't use sleeping bags, good quality ones such as made by Vango pack away into small stuffing sacks..

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
We make the van home from home, and despite packing the bed up every day quilts are fine - just looking for better ones. Put it this way, I kick the wife out of bed to put the kettle on, and by the time its boiled and my breakfast is ready the bed is away and I'm waiting for it :Cool:

(Actually, sometimes I refuse to get out of bed till I get by breakfast, but you get the idea):thumb:

Sleeping bags are too "campie" for us, and for a 2 month trip they'll stink - unless you use liners, but then getting good double bags, with liners is just, to us, more hassle, not as big, not as flexible etc. The cupboard can take 2 quilts - just want better ones to give us more space for toys.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
The senior partner and I agree with almost everything that's been posted, and that's a rarity.

One warning is that we don't use our king-sized duvet in the van because it covers up part of the heating, so watch tihs point.

On a personal note, I've used my ex-forces sleeping bag for years, and no-one ever complains, but perhaps because I'm either alone, or my companions know where the staff sleep if they step out of line...

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Quilts

Hi,
Down is different from feathers. Its the real soft stuff and dosent break like feathers. Normally the description will show the percentage of down/feather.

Goose down is warmer than duck down, and hungarian /canadian goose down is even bettter.

I do like to be warm in bed:ROFLMAO:

S

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
CHeers - sounds like its time to look for down ones.
Let me guess - they aren't the cheapest! lol!

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Thanks for all the advice

We bought a 13.5 tog duck feather/down duvet from, cough, argos.

Link Removed

Bizarrely, Monday on ring/reserve, and yesterday on collection was £17.59!

Just had it out and it feels really warm, and compresses better than our 4.5 Tog man made one

Bargain price with some rave reviews on the Argos site.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We have used a kingsize sythetic duvet from ASDA which was £10 with 2 pillows. The covers cost £7. But last year we were in China and treated ourselves to a silk duvet,we had seen and used these on a previous trip.
The silk is in the form of the wadding in the synthetic duvets,but it is a lot thinner and very light and suitable for all year round use.
They are available here just Google 'Silk duvets' and treat yourselves:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Something worth taking on board ( so to speak :winky: ) ..

Never roll up a duvet or sleeping bag neatly.

It makes all the fibres ( or whatever is in them ) run in nice neat lines after a couple of times and they lose large amounts of tog value.

Use stuffa bags and literally stuff the bag/duvet in to them willy nilly .

Got this info from a group of Arctic explorer types a few years ago, and must say I have found it excellent advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back