Sep 21, 2010
Woodbridge Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
We our newbies
Hi All , new to this and motorhoming so bare with me. :Blush:
We have just retired and have always said we would get a motorhome when we do. After 2 yrs looking around at books shows etc we decided on the autocruise startrail on the alko chassis as we liked the layout and the drive. But as no seat belts and as my kids thought it might be fun to tour France when we are not using it etc. We have now order the autotrail Cherokee with seatbelts and also the automatic. we have never been camping in our lives but feel the freedom to travel when and where has a lot to offer?
What I would like to know is it as good as you it seems and have we done the right thing?. I know you will probably say buy a second hand one to try but I don’t do second-hand.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi mrgeee and welcome :thumb: not sure from your post if you have bought one or not ( yet) Try hiring one to see if you like it :thumb: - sure you will -:ROFLMAO:Hiring one may well help you decide what layout you want :thumb: and size - you are buying for yourself s: not the kids :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I like my kids but i dont think for one minute i would let them loose with my outfit without me being around and thats in this country let alone france, even if i had a motorhome, if you are thinking of letting them take it do make sure that they are legal to drive it (licence allowance) if they passed their test after 97 it means that the weight is limited to 3500kg for them unless the driver to be has done the test for the next weight up.

Welcome to Fun

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Mrgeee, l

Its amazing how many buy a motorhome when they retire, then, almost always they wish they had discovered it earlier as they really do enjoy themselves. There is a lot to see and do in a motorhome, and that is just in this country. When you get to france you will be amazed at how motorhome friendly the country is, how large and traffic free too. Enjoy yourself and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I like my kids but i dont think for one minute i would let them loose with my outfit without me being around and thats in this country let alone france, even if i had a motorhome, if you are thinking of letting them take it do make sure that they are legal to drive it (licence allowance) if they passed their test after 97 it means that the weight is limited to 3500kg for them unless the driver to be has done the test for the next weight up.

Welcome to Fun

Do so agree ideal way of causing a family bust up, have seen it happen. It only took a little bump.

So be very sure before you embark on this route.

Nearly forgot Welcome to MH Fun.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What I would like to know is it as good as you it seems and have we done the right thing?. I know you will probably say buy a second hand one to try but I don’t do second-hand.

That's impossible to say .. only YOU can find that out.. however, if you enjoy the outdoors, meeting lots of new people, travelling where and when you want, don't mind a chemical toilet, emptying waste tanks, muddy fields, don't mind the 'slow' lane, then just maybe it's for you .

If you have ANY doubts then buying new is a bit of a gamble.. if you don't like it you will take a huge hit when you re sell. ...

So, you have second guessed my advice... but second hand vans, two or three year old can be as good as if not better than new, teething problems should have been resolved (yes, they can have a lot ) and certainly a lot cheaper than a new one.

Most importantly, few if any ever get it 'right first time' most members will tell you it took them two, three or even more vans to find 'the one' that suits them best.

Upvote 0

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Hi and Welcome

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

Woodster

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Woodbridge Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
We our newbies
new to this

Hi all and thanks for the welcome and the sound advise,
My kids are in the 40+ age group and travel abroad quite a lot with work, hols, etc so no such problem with that, and yes I wonder myself when I pick it up if I will ever let use it . :roflmto: The layout in the Cherokee is identical to the Startrail but slightly bigger but can have seatbelts fitted so we thought if for any strange reason we are not impressed with the life style the resale value may benefit from them, also if the seat belt law changes it could be an advantage?
Yes, I own a smallholding so i am used to mud, water, muck, and anything for that matter with the animals etc.
I did like the startrail a lot but think rightly or wrongly the finish on the auto trail was slightly better, more expensive and yes, you are right we could lose a fair bit of money but if we do not give it ago then we will never know and always regret it.
Mind you, it will not be ready until Feb. 2011 because of the shortage of automatics, so as you say it would be a good idea to hire one for the week and see if like it. Alternatively, survive the week.

Once again, many thanks for the advice and I will keep you all posted.
mrgeee :thumb:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi all and thanks for the welcome and the sound advise,
Once again, many thanks for the advice and I will keep you all posted.
mrgeee :thumb:

Hi,

Make sure the seat belts can be retrofitted!

Now all you have to do to continue to get the FUN and advice is to Link Removed :Smile:

Peter

Upvote 0

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
That's impossible to say .. only YOU can find that out.. however, if you enjoy the outdoors, meeting lots of new people, travelling where and when you want, don't mind a chemical toilet, emptying waste tanks, muddy fields, don't mind the 'slow' lane, then just maybe it's for you .

If you have ANY doubts then buying new is a bit of a gamble.. if you don't like it you will take a huge hit when you re sell. ...

So, you have second guessed my advice... but second hand vans, two or three year old can be as good as if not better than new, teething problems should have been resolved (yes, they can have a lot ) and certainly a lot cheaper than a new one.

Most importantly, few if any ever get it 'right first time' most members will tell you it took them two, three or even more vans to find 'the one' that suits them best.

I absolutely agree with the above.
I bought mine second hand, not so painful when doing alterations. Son in law went down NEW route and still complaining about things that haven't been sorted, and now out of warranty, still the rain drips in.

Don

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back