Using Levelling Ramps on Your Own (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A recent post on a thread about hydraulic jacks mentioned they would be useful for someone on their own. This is because of the risk of driving over the top of a ramp which might make it tip up and cause damage under the wheel arch.

My Thule ramps have a lip at the top but without Mrs DBK'S guidance I suspect I could drive over them. :)

DSC_0399.JPG

A MH parked next to me at the moment could be demonstrating a possible solution.

DSC_0398.JPG

Two ramps, without lips, back to back. I can't work out the make but they look like Milenco Triples.

Another option is to use inflatable pads. They are not cheap but are a lot cheaper then hydraulic levellers or full air suspension. I've seen these being used a few times.

Alternatives might include a mirror on a stick :) or training your dog to bark when the wheel reaches the top of the ramp.

Of course there is a "not bothering to level" school of thought but sinks and showers not draining can be an annoyance and if we are heavily nose down the sliding door on our PVC can be a struggle to open - but on the plus side it does close itself very easily. :)

Any other options Funsters can suggest for solo levellers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I do it all the time.Door open and I can see front wheel. make sure door won't hit anything. Drive up to top then if too high just drop down ramp a bit
That's exactly how I do it. Doddle. (y)
OK if you are using two ramps but we've only got one down at the moment and it's under the passenger side front wheel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I do it all the time.Door open and I can see front wheel. make sure door won't hit anything. Drive up to top then if too high just drop down ramp a bit
That's exactly how I do it. Doddle. (y)
Don't buy a Comformatic then, it selects neutral if the driver's door is open. :)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
OK if you are using two ramps but we've only got one down at the moment and it's under the passenger side front wheel.

Quite easy really.put ramp under nearside wheel. Then put the other one the other way round on the off side as you drive up it will act as a marker

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
A recent post on a thread about hydraulic jacks mentioned they would be useful for someone on their own. This is because of the risk of driving over the top of a ramp which might make it tip up and cause damage under the wheel arch.

My Thule ramps have a lip at the top but without Mrs DBK'S guidance I suspect I could drive over them. :)

View attachment 310662

A MH parked next to me at the moment could be demonstrating a possible solution.

View attachment 310663

Two ramps, without lips, back to back. I can't work out the make but they look like Milenco Triples.

Another option is to use inflatable pads. They are not cheap but are a lot cheaper then hydraulic levellers or full air suspension. I've seen these being used a few times.

Alternatives might include a mirror on a stick :) or training your dog to bark when the wheel reaches the top of the ramp.

Of course there is a "not bothering to level" school of thought but sinks and showers not draining can be an annoyance and if we are heavily nose down the sliding door on our PVC can be a struggle to open - but on the plus side it does close itself very easily. :)

Any other options Funsters can suggest for solo levellers?

I like the look of them (the inflatable levellers).

I’m guessing in the video they are using 2 on top of each other?

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like the look of them (the inflatable levellers).

I’m guessing in the video they are using 2 on top of each other?
I'm not sure, they may be made a bit like bellows? In this very bad photo, if you zoom in on the front left wheel of the MH in the distance you might see it is using one but perhaps of a different make. A UK company makes one called Lock n Level but only for caravans I think, MHs too heavy I expect.

LRM_EXPORT_20170929_150338.jpg

Can’t imagine that they aid stability though?

Ian

I suspect they could move sideways in a wind but we need someone to buy a pair and tell us. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If on drivers side only you can see it, if on passenger only side only, put the other ramp on the back, so if you go too far, you would just go down the other ramp.
Which is what the MH in my OP picture did and what got me thinking about this. :)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
1. I’ve got milenco Quattro ramps. So drive up three bumps, easy ?
2. I’m never lucky enough to get away by myself, so MrsB is always on the side ???? looking out for me...... sometimes.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
I'm detecting a gap between having to use ramps and the £3.5k + weight on a fully dancing hydraulic system.
Is there no half-way house - i.e. Lidl bottle jacks held on upsidedown with tyraps or just two stable bottle type jacks that one can slide under the low side and play about with for a few minutes that hook into the jacking points?

Reactions: DBK

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I shall never forget the verbal abuse I saw a female partner get when her OH drove over the top of one of the big ones in Donesta and damaged his wheel arch. He was a Brit. I am ashamed I didn't intervene when I look back. It was disgusting the poor woman's life must have been hell, it was his poor clutch control! Sorry for hijacking thread.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm beginning to wonder if it's easier to pitch a tent than park a MH
You can indeed just stop and park. :) Reading the ground and using any available humps and bumps is an essential skill and if we can avoid using ramps we will. We can sleep either way round in our van so if we are nose up or down then we just adjust accordingly. :)

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I just push a button on the controller and it goes up, if too steep for the automatics I do it manually,, Cost a bomb but sometimes it is worth it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A recent post on a thread about hydraulic jacks mentioned they would be useful for someone on their own.

A man of your talents should be able to source a loud self powered buzzer off ebay and equip it with the simplest of switches made from kitchen foil to sound as you hit the top.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't buy a Comformatic then, it selects neutral if the driver's door is open. :)
Are you sure that's right?

I've got a comfortmatic and reverse up our drive at home and frequently open the driver's door on our pvc while maneuvering?

And I sometimes open the driver's door to go up the ramps.

Before I got the auto box 3 years ago, wondered how the comfortmatic (and driver ;) ) would manage up the ramps. In the event, piece of cake! :)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just as an aside, talking of ramps - remember being on an Aire in the middle of France, near Macon, once and put one of the back wheels a single step up a ramp.

Come morning, completely forgot and just drove off. Three miles down the road suddenly remembered...

Turned round and shot back - thankfully one lonely ramp still there!! :wasntme: (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Are you sure that's right?

I've got a comfortmatic and reverse up our drive at home and frequently open the driver's door on our pvc while maneuvering?

And I sometimes open the driver's door to go up the ramps.

Before I got the auto box 3 years ago, wondered how the comfortmatic (and driver ;) ) would manage up the ramps. In the event, piece of cake! :)
I take you have an x250 doesn't do on those but it does on an X 290.
We had a 2014 X250 didn't do it on that but it does on our 2017 X290

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I take you have an x250 doesn't do on those but it does on an X 290.
We had a 2014 X250 didn't do it on that but it does on our 2017 X290
Looking at his avatar photo I think he's got an X290.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I use level ramps ( I always level the moho ) I have two sets Fiamma? for small lift and Millenco for high lift.

I have done it solo for over two years without issue.

If raising the front - it’s just a case of leaning out of the window ( A class - no driver door ) and watching .

If rear or passenger side - I use a marker ( usually my rubber mat ) set against my LPG filler ( which is below my window - the black thing in the pics ) and drive from one end of mat to other...

Before ......

7A7F740D-0606-4344-94EB-0E31D3BFBCE1.jpeg

After ?

D8694527-3469-4948-B093-E22CA73D8C27.jpeg

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016

Deleted User
Drive solo so have no choice, however, never given it a second thought until your post, hope it doesn't make me nervous now I know its a problem!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back