Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Hi, All! Just discovered that the previous owner/s of our new MH have hot-glued about 5 metres of BLACK Velcro to the inside of the cab, presumably to hang curtains from. The covering on the cab 'wall' is a kind of grey, fluffy composite stuff, probably just flocked on. Has anyone any brilliant way of getting rid of the hot glue, which by now has set rock hard? I've tried pulling it off, but I'm scared that I'll end up with a 5m bald patch running right round the cab.
Now my Freeview question; does anyone know where we can find a 12V Freeview box which works? :Smile: The inverter we had which we were going to use turns out to be completely goosed. Boo hoo.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry cant help with the glue but I got my 12 volt freesat box from Aldi,Lidle also have them from time to time.Mine came in a camping kit with sat and everything else in it,I only used the reciever as I already had the sat dish on the camper.I think it was about £35.If you want a 12volt freeview box thats 12volt that will be a bit more dificult now as most TVs have them built in.I recently bought a small TV from Maplins with built in freesat and it was not expensive,its also 12volt.

Upvote 0

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ebay is your friend.

Freeview Item No. 220661520864

Freesat Item No. 310233691947

Alternatively, you can get a 12v Freesat system inc tuner from Link Removed or when on offer ALDI

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Ebay is your friend.

Freeview Item No. 220661520864

Freesat Item No. 310233691947

Alternatively, you can get a 12v Freesat system inc tuner from Link Removed or when on offer ALDI

Bought a really neat Freeview box from ASDA this afternoon, working on the basis that the inverter would work, which it didn't. However ... OH has found that one of our other Freeview boxes in the house has a 12V transformer on it! Thank you all so much! :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
You need to reheat the glue using an iron/soldering iron with a large head and try to "soak it up" with something

Sounds like another day of fun ahead!! I'll send photos of before and after, and possibly of me weeping!

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If using a soldering iron, you might want to try some desoldering braid.

I'd also start while its cold by triming as much of the glue off with a sharp razor or 'Stanley' knife blade so you have to soak up as little as possible.

Good luck .... You'll need it!:RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
If using a soldering iron, you might want to try some desoldering braid.

I'd also start while its cold by triming as much of the glue off with a sharp razor or 'Stanley' knife blade so you have to soak up as little as possible.

Good luck .... You'll need it!:RollEyes:

Ha ha! You've made me feel so confident!! Doesn't desoldering braid have bits of metal in it to catch the solder, or am I being a complete idiot? * I'm dangerous with a soldering iron (you really don't want to know!), so figured I'd try the hot iron, but have no idea what the flock covering is made of, so could end up with a worse-looking mess than I have now. Had thought of making a charming lace valance, backing it with Velcro and sticking that on. Not! ::bigsmile:

Gut feeling tells me that careful trimming with a seriously sharp blade, as you suggested, might be the best way to go, and won't cause any more mess. Depends how deep into the flock it's gone. Memo to all MH owners: Don't Use Hot Glue!!!

I'll report back!

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes. The idea is you heat the braid, and the solder (or hopefully in this case, the glue) gets absorbed into the free space between the copper strands. You need to 'keep it moving' as it doesn't absorb as much as you initailly think it might.

Watch your fingers with either hot braid or the blade! The glue is very good at sticking your fingers together. I guess if you were really clever you could cut your fingers with the blade and then glue it back together with the molten glue! :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Yes. The idea is you heat the braid, and the solder (or hopefully in this case, the glue) gets absorbed into the free space between the copper strands. You need to 'keep it moving' as it doesn't absorb as much as you initailly think it might.

Watch your fingers with either hot braid or the blade! The glue is very good at sticking your fingers together. I guess if you were really clever you could cut your fingers with the blade and then glue it back together with the molten glue! :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like a whole pile of fun!!!

Upvote 0

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think I would try to find some suitable trim to cover the glue as you will damage what is underneath if you heat it up

Upvote 0

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
Whoa, whoa, whoa !!!!!

Try this first before you get the glue hot again.

I use hot glue every day in my business and need to release the glue after use. I use alchohol (not that type :RollEyes:) in a small spray bottle. The Americans call it denatured alchohol , the nearest easily available thing here is surgical spirit. I use a 94% alchohol supplied by a German friend called Brenn spiritus which has many uses including small camping stoves (meths type). You could use meths, but it stinks.

Warm the glue slightly with a hair dryer, spray on the alchohol a small section at a time, then try peeling the glue off gently.

Hope this works.

Upvote 0

atadloopy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
nottingham
Funster No
Exp
30+ years
hi, i spray flock at work and its usually nylon, or similar, so is also susceptible to heat, also need to remember the flock itself is glued on so whatever solvents you use on the hot glue will also be affecting the glue holding the flock. never tried it but how about going the other way and freezing it? doesn't that work on chewing gum?

Upvote 0

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
You take a soldering iron and put it on wood !!! it burns.. :Eeek:

I dont know but I would be inclined to use/try a hair dryer,, might work.. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When you say they have glued Velcro around the cab, is it between the front seats and habitation by any chance?
It could be that the owners found it cold driving in winter and had a curtain velcro'd between the hab and cab. Some MH's dont have a very good heating system when driving , and just rely on the cab heaters to keep the whole thing warm. It might be worth leaving for a while , just to see. Then again if you know you have diesel heating , forget everything ive just said:winky:
Bev

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think I would try to find some suitable trim to cover the glue as you will damage what is underneath if you heat it up

Yep. If you can't get rid, hide it.

Also applies to their pinholes. Seal then find suitable sticker/graphics to hide them.

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
your giving away Peter's secrets ..

can also use reflectors to hide dings on panel work :thumb:

Only thing is to put something on both sides then it don't look odd.

Have always thought better to hide marks etc, than make a poor repair.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Do not reheat the glue as this will melt it and it will stick to whatever it touches :ROFLMAO:You should be able to simply pull it off leaving it on one surface or the other :ROFLMAO: then pull the glue off the remaining surface -Used 1,000's of sticks over the years :ROFLMAO:
terry
Asda do a 12v on digi box for 13 quid :thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Whoa, whoa, whoa !!!!!

Try this first before you get the glue hot again.

I use hot glue every day in my business and need to release the glue after use. I use alchohol (not that type :RollEyes:) in a small spray bottle. The Americans call it denatured alchohol , the nearest easily available thing here is surgical spirit. I use a 94% alchohol supplied by a German friend called Brenn spiritus which has many uses including small camping stoves (meths type). You could use meths, but it stinks.

Warm the glue slightly with a hair dryer, spray on the alchohol a small section at a time, then try peeling the glue off gently.

Hope this works.

Well, Hailman, thank you! As it happens, I make soap in my spare time (!!) and use rubbing alcohol as part of the process. I buy 99.9% off the internet, in 5L bottles, so the hot glue could be history! I'm just about to go out and play with it, so wish me luck!:thumb:

Upvote 0

Steven Fawcett

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
manchester
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
Hi, All! Just discovered that the previous owner/s of our new MH have hot-glued about 5 metres of BLACK Velcro to the inside of the cab, presumably to hang curtains from. The covering on the cab 'wall' is a kind of grey, fluffy composite stuff, probably just flocked on. Has anyone any brilliant way of getting rid of the hot glue, which by now has set rock hard? I've tried pulling it off, but I'm scared that I'll end up with a 5m bald patch running right round the cab.
Now my Freeview question; does anyone know where we can find a 12V Freeview box which works? :Smile: The inverter we had which we were going to use turns out to be completely goosed. Boo hoo.

You try maplins thats were i got mine from.

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
C'mon, Brian, the world is watching and waiting....!!!!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Well, that's been a successful couple of hours, but I'm now losing the will to live! Peeled off the black Velcro (which was glued all the way round the cab, onto the headliner, from behind the passenger seat, all the way round above the windscreen and ending behind the driver's seat. I got a lot of glue gobbets off with a scalpel but when the blade snapped and missed my left eye by a mm or two I decided I needed to find another way! What has worked, or will work once I've spent a few more hours on it, is a very hot iron over a folded J-Cloth; heat it for about 15 seconds, then pull the J-Cloth off. It leaves the remaining glue soft and squishy, so more comes off when the cloth's pushed back onto it. Some of the glue has left darker marks on the headliner, but that's infinitely preferable to yards and yards of pieced-together black Velcro. If nothing else the iron gets the huge lumps of glue off so it looks better. The Velcro was obviously put on to hold a curtain, but we have a thermal windscreen blind, so no need for the curtain.

Thank you all ... I forgot to take pics of the black Velcro (!), but will post one of the 'remedied' headliner, once my right shoulder's recovered! Irons are heavy ... !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BriantheSnail

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Do tell us how you have gone on has the alcohol flocked it up:ROFLMAO:

Haven't used the alcohol; figured it might either stain the flock or take it all off! I'm going to stick with the hot iron for the moment ...

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back