Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
is it legal to tow a trike on a doly in spain france the bloke i brought it of gowes to germany all the time and told me it is legal he brings them back on them all the time

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
are you saying dolly as off the road

is it legal to tow a trike on a doly in spain france the bloke i brought it of gowes to germany all the time and told me it is legal he brings them back on them all the time

Are you saying dolly as the wheels are off the road? Not sure about Germany but you might have problems in France, Spain and Portugal.

Need to explain what sort of dolly you are considering? Germany has a lot of trikes and also quads, but I think you need to consider a trailer.

Bob:Eeek:

OP
OP
LyndonRV

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
it has 2 wheels you lift the front wheel of the trike in to a hole on the doly and that is it. then all you have is just the 2 back wheels on the road it toes great i have tried it. you can find the dolly on thr trike doctors site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Lyndon,If you are considering a dolly...why.
Would it not be easier to have somthing made up to slide into the tow reciever and just lift the front wheel onto it.
How heavy is the front end of the trike...if you can lift it then its not necisary to have the dolly.
Have seen a few of the trikes towed around like this...of course it would have to be manual trans and not an auto.
Dave.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
If the back wheels are on the floor the brakes need to work, it becomes a trailer in principle and trailer regs apply, brakes fitted they must work irrespective of weight. That said, and I'm sure Bob will be off soon but technically I don't think you'll find it legal here, not illegal also so a grey ish area, ie you'll probably get away with it, but you'll still need working brakes.

As to Europe, no idea, apart from the much discussed Spanish side which will be a firm no.

Just seen Dave's post, same applies, brakes required to work, sad really as it would be a fun way to do things and lets face it with the weight of a trike the RV will never know it's there, or be affected by it.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it has 2 wheels you lift the front wheel of the trike in to a hole on the doly and that is it. then all you have is just the 2 back wheels on the road it toes great i have tried it. you can find the dolly on thr trike doctors site

So it therefore is illegal in France, Spain and Portugal. It is not different from towing a car behind. The wheels of the trike have to be able to be applied from the driving vehicles wheels unless you have a low weight then it would be classed as a trailer (light weight under the no brake rules).. but it all comes down to how heavy the trike is.. still need to have a towboard and warning plates etc.,

Better on a trailer that is legal... salemen will never tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth - we call it salesmans puff in the legal trade.

Just be careful.

Reactions: f6c

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Lyndon me ole china
If I know you, it will have nothing less than a V8 why not tow the RV:Doh::ROFLMAO:
I have a single wheel shoe that goes on the easy lifter sounds similar to what you have Spain will be the biggest pain due to there insistence on all wheels off the ground:RollEyes: that applies to cars, Ive no idea what they would make of a trike
Geo

OP
OP
LyndonRV

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
hi dave it is rewaco hs 2 family 3 seater 1800cc vw engine you can lift it in to the dolly easy the dolly came with the first trike i got the red one so now i have 2 . sorry it is a 4 spead manual ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A friend has a braked 2 wheel ambulance for sale that we were going to convert to fit Joys Boom trike on...problem was the trailer wouldnt fit up the side of her house so it was a no goer.
Its perfect for putting a trike on as its low to the ground and has short built in ramps fitted...if you decied to go down this route PM me.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I am so predictable Simon

If the back wheels are on the floor the brakes need to work, it becomes a trailer in principle and trailer regs apply, brakes fitted they must work irrespective of weight. That said, and I'm sure Bob will be off soon but technically I don't think you'll find it legal here, not illegal also so a grey ish area, ie you'll probably get away with it, but you'll still need working brakes.

As to Europe, no idea, apart from the much discussed Spanish side which will be a firm no.

Just seen Dave's post, same applies, brakes required to work, sad really as it would be a fun way to do things and lets face it with the weight of a trike the RV will never know it's there, or be affected by it.

I often ask myself Simon why I bother:cry: You can lead a horse to water but you..well you know what I mean. They have to learn the hard way. But when I see a funster thinking it is OK to get fined euros 80 every now and then .. playing the odds.... well words fail me for the most part. What an image it sends to others in France, Spain and Portugal.. The Brits do not obay the law as visitors. One day his lunch will take a lot longer when the towed vehicle is not in the layby when he goes back or he is stopped for the second time by the same officer and he is then marched off to the police station.. I wonder if he will think he is so cleaver then:Sad:

But Simon you are right .. you knew I would take the bate... It is a shame new members do not look back at some of the same chestnut posts we see week in and week out.

I agree great fun .. looked at them at Newbury (from Germany) but I seem to recall they had them all on 4 wheel trailers.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
A friend has a braked 2 wheel ambulance for sale that we were going to convert to fit Joys Boom trike on...problem was the trailer wouldnt fit up the side of her house so it was a no goer.
Its perfect for putting a trike on as its low to the ground and has short built in ramps fitted...if you decied to go down this route PM me.

Just a thought re Joy's trike and towing, one thought I've had in the past were there is a storage issue is, trailer in garage with hitch in ball on suitably secure post and simple park the vehicle, ie trike on trailer in garage?

Don't know whether that would work, thought I'd throw it non the less:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think it would be to wide

Just a thought re Joy's trike and towing, one thought I've had in the past were there is a storage issue is, trailer in garage with hitch in ball on suitably secure post and simple park the vehicle, ie trike on trailer in garage?

I think you may find the avarage trailer would not fit in a garage.. the door hight is not normally high enough... or wide enough. Even for my small two wheel unit I have to chain it up on the drive as it takes up to much room in the garage..as it is low to the ground I can get it in the garage loaded (where it is at the moment waiting for me to turn the RV round and hitch it up late tonight).. but it is a valid issue.. would make storage a problem unless you have a mega drive or garage as the case may be.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
just noticed where you are Bob :winky: I was in Ashurst until recently .. in fact I had a nice beer in the Beacon last weekend..

sorry, i will grab me coat now ::bigsmile:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We have a huge garage, that was full:Doh: and one plan was to have a car trailer and due to garage size do this, but we're going a different route these days. My thought was if small enough it may work you see:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

I think there was a problem re where the garage was situated,the garage was at the rear of the house and you had to go down the side of the house to get to it. The trike would fit down but not the trailer.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I think there was a problem re where the garage was situated,the garage was at the rear of the house and you had to go down the side of the house to get to it. The trike would fit down but not the trailer.

Ah well, just a thought?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is a fold up car

We have a huge garage, that was full:Doh: and one plan was to have a car trailer and due to garage size do this, but we're going a different route these days. My thought was if small enough it may work you see:thumb:

I know Simon a fold up car.. well near as.. bits of the body hang out ... you are going to need a jib on the back of your RV to carry it (off the ground).. But a small trailer might work if it is light enough.... If I had two legs I would need one for each foot.. that is what I used to say about a Fiat Cinquetrento we had with a sun roof.. one for each foot. :Blush:

Bob:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I know Simon a fold up car.. well near as.. bits of the body hang out ... you are going to need a jib on the back of your RV to carry it (off the ground).. But a small trailer might work if it is light enough.... If I had two legs I would need one for each foot.. that is what I used to say about a Fiat Cinquetrento we had with a sun roof.. one for each foot. :Blush:

Bob:thumb:

Garage is 12' wide so no fold up required:ROFLMAO:

Talk about hijack:ROFLMAO:

What we really fancied for the back of Winne is a Joyner, little off road type buggy the it just happens you can road register, weighs around 400kgs, and like the trike idea comes with an adaptor to plug in the front and hitch onto a tow vehicle, but, may as well call it an A frame:Doh:

It's small enough it would actuall sit sideways across the back of Winne, but tow hitch rated at 300 kgs:Doh:

This needless to say as well as general towing has had me going through all sorts of conortations the last year or so:Blush:

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I know this is an old thread.

However as most trikes are under 750kgs there is not a requirement to have brakes working.
Trailers, mini caravans etc under 750kgd do not need to be braked.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know this is an old thread.

However as most trikes are under 750kgs there is not a requirement to have brakes working.
Trailers, mini caravans etc under 750kgd do not need to be braked.
Oh yes there is......in best panto voice.

Regardless of weight, if brakes ARE fitted then by law they must meet regulations.
As trikes have brakes then the law applies.....Unless you happen to be a registered recovery operative and the trike is broken down.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
PJ, yes, if over 750kgs MGW.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pj is correct the trike as brakes so they must work.
mind i have towed them for loads miles with out the brakes working . but i also had a sliding hitch on one trike spec it tied to the foot brake and worked the foot brake .
many dont even realize that if dragging a motor bike on its back wheel then the brake should work.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From the DFT website.
(Link to the download in my previous post)

Trailers having a combined axle mass not exceeding 750kg are not required to have brakes fitted.
However, if the trailer (regardless of mass) is fitted with a braking system, then all brakes in that
system must operate correctly

Also, if towed on a dollie that also must have operational brakes unless it's used for genuine recovery by a recognised recovery company.
Recovery companies are exempt from braking rules and can only tow (officially) to a place of safety.

I used to work in the industry.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pj i,m the same i still have a harvey frost towboy .
intertrade unbraked aframe ,intertrade m,bike single spec / and intertrade tow poles . car and truck. sold the trailers and recovery vehicles . mind i still carry business cards with recovery work on them ,. ha ha .
i did tow trikes for years untill i realized the brakes on the rear should be working . i asctually bought our local rac m,bike single spec for the job .

Oct 8, 2023
Northumberland, UK
Funster No
MH
chausson
Exp
Hi Lyndon,If you are considering a dolly...why.
Would it not be easier to have somthing made up to slide into the tow reciever and just lift the front wheel onto it.
How heavy is the front end of the trike...if you can lift it then its not necisary to have the dolly.
Have seen a few of the trikes towed around like this...of course it would have to be manual trans and not an auto.
Dave.
Hi, aside from the brake regulations as my trike is an auto has anyone towed a trike on a dolly with its back wheels on a dolly??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back