Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
My 15 weeks old Rottweiler cross, cant travel over 10 miles without being sick. He starts salivating then you got about 5 to 10 seconds before he throws up. Tried not given him food before a journey, that somtimes works, but not everytime.

Anybody elses dog do this ? Picking up motorhome saturday in bath leaving from wales to get it.

Dog will be crated if i cant control his stomach for thw weekends and holiday away.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Only a young pup so dont worry.

There is travel pills if it goes on:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had a dog once that did this drove me mad.

A friend of mine trained gun dogs and told me this was quote common and advised me to feed the dog in the back of the truck (we had a 4x4 at the time). He said the dog would then associate the vehicle with happiness rather than stress.
Gladly it worked eventually and we travelled many miles together although I was never quite convinced if it was the feeding trick or he just got used to travelling.

Worth a try; Good Luck :thumb:

sammclouis

Account Deactivated
Aug 14, 2007
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
give them a little to eat a while before the journey...helps them with the sick feeling also helps if they can see through the window with a little bit of fresh air...and as everyone else has said it gets better the more you take them..hope he is ok soon...sammx

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Hi Mark

This looks like quite a good website that might help you:

Link Removed

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Our two year old lab is as right as rain in the motorhome and looks forward to going away. She just settles down between the driver and passanger seats and goes to sleep. But in the car its a different kettle of fish. When she was a puppy she used to get sick, but as an adult she just looks miserable and salivates furiously. I have sought opinions from the vet. He says its just one of those things. (she's also fine in the works van, its only the car).

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Rescue remedy

It works really well. Sabre our German Shepherd would puke every few miles or so. When we picked up our last new Winnie he managed to throw up down a floor heating vent, on the way home! That was fun!

Our vet is two miles away and he managed to throw up twice on the way to the vat, to discuss: Throwing up.

He threw up in the car, in the RV or on the boat! We were at our wits end!

A breeder suggested Rescue Remedy a homeopathic cure for travel sickness for humans. Available from Boot or Holland and Barret.

It works! He has never been sick since, just a couple of drops on his tongue just before we travel.

Also! made me think a bit about homeopathic cures! I always thought that it was tree hugging, lets all love each, talk nicely to a psychopath and he will sit down and discuss colour charts with you, mental tish tosh for feeble minds! But it turns out I was wrong and in fact it was me with a closed mind :Eeek: After all, if homeopathic cures are psychosomatic: How does it work on a dog? He doesn’t know what we have given him!

Hope it helps

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
Well done Eddievanbitz!! I shall try Rescue Remedy next time I take her out in the car. I know a lady who swears by the stuff, and uses it when going for stressful meetings etc. She is adamant it calms her down. I always dismissed it as a load of old cobblers, but I look forward to trying it on the dog (bitch, actually). Maybe I wont have slobber covered upholstery in the future !!:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Rescue remedy

It works really well. Sabre our German Shepherd would puke every few miles or so. When we picked up our last new Winnie he managed to throw up down a floor heating vent, on the way home! That was fun!

Our vet is two miles away and he managed to throw up twice on the way to the vat, to discuss: Throwing up.

He threw up in the car, in the RV or on the boat! We were at our wits end!

Hope it helps

nice one.
our jack russels love travelling, cant stop 'em running round like idiots though, but my alsation cross pukes at the first sign of the pickup tailgate opening.(hence a pickup, i can hose that out :thumb:).
i'll have to give it a try.

john.

A

Anne

Deleted User
5 jack russels and a portuguese water dog!

Hi Guys...

Our dogs love to travel in the car - Rosie who is now 9 months old -couldnt travel for 15 mins without throwing up, but she has now settled into the routine...

We have 5 jack russels - Pixie (grandma), April and Peppie - her 2 daughters, and the 2 pups Rosie and Butt (was Buttons, but Rob my partner said it was a sissy name for a working dog), These 2 are April's pups....

Pippie, my portuguese water dog, I had from a rescue kennel in Portugal, where I lived for quite a few years - we travelled back by road, and thank goodness he travels just great !

Just keep trying whatever you can! If your anything like us - you cant go on any decent journey without taking the "family" with you!

Till now we've always taken them out in the car, but now the spring is almost upon us - we shall be taking them on our travells... We only bought our motor home in Oct - by which time Rosie was still vomiting... but now she is over it - so wish us luck!

Anne & Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back