Bedtime Routine with Kids (1 Viewer)

MJ68

Free Member
Sep 18, 2010
Funster No
We are getting our first MH a McLouis Glen 430 very soon. We are a family of 4 with a 2 year old girl and 3 year old boy. The McLouis has bunks and an overcab bed so nothing to make up. How do any family types deal with bedtime or is it just a dark night of the soul and wear them 'til they flake out? Any thoughts?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sorrry long time since I put my children to bed :Smile: but welcome to fun and I am sure you will have a great time in your motorhome :welcomefunster:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We have been motorhoming a while and both our vans have had bunk beds...

For me, camping holidays are about letting the kids have fun as well, plenty of late nights and late mornings. Mine used to just think it was so cool being out in the dark.. So no routine just enjoy the fun with them. My two now have teenage syndrome. Apparantly this is non curable and can actually last over 7yrs. They only grunt at bed time and early afternoon when they wake up........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have a 13 year old and are slightly different from the haganaps in that our son usually has a specific bedtime even on holiday albeit later that on a schoolnight- except at fun meets when he goes to bed when he likes or at the same time as the other children. We also allow him to sleep in with no waking up time.

So to a certain extent we have one routine for home and another for the motorhome.

Remember not every child needs the same amount of sleep and children react differently to changes in routine so this really is an individual thing. For us, especially when he was younger, overtiredness meant a grumpy child the next day even if he did sleep in though hes not so bad these days.

I would suggest for the first few times, because they will be really excited, that you make bedtime as calm as possible. Get them into the bunks put on some soft music and read them a story. Have just one light on so none of you are in total darkness and once they have entered the land of nod turn the tv back on play cards make the tea etc and carry on as normal.

Good luck hope it works well for you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MJ68

Free Member
Sep 18, 2010
Funster No
Know what you are saying about letting them run wild, part of the reason we have gone for the MH option (we considered Gites in France...cost!, static caravans in Brittany....static and April to October sites and can't tow won't tow!) As lil'uns they would conk out around 9ish anyway. I guess I have done the big spend and now I need to just get on with it.

Upvote 0

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
You tell them when it's time for bed, then you tell them when it's time to be quiet and then, before you know it, it's morning!

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I had similar thoughts a couple of weeks ago when I took my daughter and grandson to Disney for a week in the RV.
No problem...I was that worn out each day they had no problem getting me into a bedtime routine.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
We have a 13 year old girl and normally when in mh we dont have any set bedtime normally after shes had a few beers shes tired anyway:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

We are a bit like the haganaps no set times but she is normally tired with all the stuff we have done and as for morning unless we are planning on going somewhere we just let her lie in and other half normally lies in also while i get up and walk the dog.

Like someone else mentioned on our first trip she found it hard to sleep but once used to mh she is fine

Gerry

Upvote 0

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Well we are in the same boat as you...

One 7yr old and one 4yr old we have a Rollerteam 707 rear binks overcab bed fixed seating. We have always had routine at home but relax it abit on hol's or when away. as they run around outside alot more when away they are alot more tired, But they seem to sleep better in MH also we found telling them that we will go home tomorrow if they didnt sleep worked well...

Also bare this one in mind works amazing... When you know you are going home on lets say a sunday makes sure you say if they are not good your going home tomorrow, Now dont let on because next day when they are playing up and arguing alot you pop up and say right thats its we are going home and not going away again till you behave. Bareing in mind you was going anyway and they dont know that hahahaha works everytime...

Craig

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
At that age bedtime should be no different to at home providing you have a set bedtime at home. They should be well ready for sleep by 7pm of a night if they have been out and active. Dont forget that their bedtime is your 'me' time. When mine were younger(roughly 10yrs old) hoiday bedtime was 9pm unless they were out with us at a clubhouse(usually end of holiday treat). I used to leave the tv on low and the lights off apart from 1 and sit in the awning for 20 mins by which time they were well asleep, with leaving the tv on when i went back in the van any noise i made didnt disturb them - nothing worse than grouchy, crying,argumentive kids when away.(spoils it not only for you but your holiday neighbours)

Upvote 0

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

Our kids are 20 months, 4 1/2 & 9. We like to make sure they are in bed at a decent time so we can have our time together.

The 20 month old goes at 7ish so pretty much same as at home. The older 2 sleep together in the bed over the cab and probably go about 8-9pm (this is normally 7-8pm at home). This had to be staggered by half an hour or the night would be filled with fits of giggles :ROFLMAO: never again.

We have had the motorhome for 2 years so before the baby was born and have gone away in it from him being 12 weeks old and it has been pretty much ok.

We usually leave a light on and sit patiently whispering for 10 mins or so!

With mine if they don't have enough sleep it usually turns into strops and tantrums which anyone can do without.

What we worry about now is said 20 month old trying to snap every lever off, turn water up to 95 degrees, smear hands over mirrors I have just cleaned, switch fridge off, turn things that shouldn't turn, try and volley himself out of door someone has left open or poke head out of window to talk to anyone who will listen, pap horn etc etc.....that was all this last holiday, phew, remember to kid proof all you can :ROFLMAO:. You do have some great laughs though.

Good Luck

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We are getting our first MH a McLouis Glen 430 very soon. We are a family of 4 with a 2 year old girl and 3 year old boy. The McLouis has bunks and an overcab bed so nothing to make up. How do any family types deal with bedtime or is it just a dark night of the soul and wear them 'til they flake out? Any thoughts?

I dont by any means think i am an expert on raising children and ultimately its up to you how you decide to bring your children up , but I personaly, believe in routine with children of any age.
We have boy/girl twins aged 14 and a boy aged 16. The twins were born 4 days after Jacobs 2nd birthday. So getting into a routine was vital for me.
When they were little we didn't have the motorhome we had a caravan. We chose its layout so that we could close off the rear end , making it their space . Better to black out and keep quiet on an evening .The u shape lounge made into a double bed and there was 1 bunk across the back. Whether at home or away on a weekend they were in bed for 7pm at your kids age. Infact up until they were 9 years old. Then we upped it to 8 pm.

Once they got older we changed the caravan lay out to bunks and a side dinette.
Before getting our motorhome last year. The MH has a massive luton and side bunks.

Our kids are older now , if we are away on holiday abroad , or at home , they go out with us going to bed when we do.
If we are away on a weekend in the MH they go when they want. But , we are all in bed by 11.30 at the latest anyway.
As we go away every other weekend letting them stay up very late , IMO wouldn't be good for them. They often go back to the MH when we are on a rally. Leaving Ralph and I to carry on till when ever.:Blush:
At home our 16 year old goes to sleep at 10pm and the 14 year olds 9pm. We go to bed at 10.30pm so we arnt night owls. If we were to have let them stay up till they wanted in the past , when little, i dont think they would be so ready for bed now , when they are.
You know your own kids, if we 'd have let ours stay up very late when little , they would have been whingy whiny little sh**s the next day:ROFLMAO:
Even now as teenagers they dont sleep in. The latest they have ever been up is 9 am. So we all suffer if we haven't been to bed till late.
Its also nice to have adult time together. Thats why we made the 7pm rule .
When the kids were very small , after a busy day with them , i used to be like that slavering dog , in the experiment.
I would hear Emmerdale's theme tune and my mouth would start watering for a glass of red:winky:

Being active through the day will certainly help to tire them out , as everyones said. Then a nice calming warm milky drink , story or song helps to wind them down. Once asleep at your kids age , there usually out for the count , with all the fresh air.
So as long as you dont have noisy neighbors partying in an awning , they should stay asleep , leaving you two to have some peace and chill out.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I think the only bit of advice you can take from the above threads is the bit where it says,,,

"you know your own kids"....

what you end up doing will be your choice and yours only. There are no "right or wrong" answers,
Someone once said to me, "do not criticise anyone else's parenting skills untill your own Kids are well in to there 80s" :winky: never a more true word :RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MJ68

Free Member
Sep 18, 2010
Funster No
Cheers for the advice, as it is all rather theoretical at the moment we just need to go with the flow and adapt our home routine as and when. The one thing that worries a little is the size of some of the MH's driven by posters with families. I went for a used Glen as it seemed big enough to work for us but not so big that it would intimidate a newbie like me..the lack of chintz is also useful given the messiness of young children. As 12 week a year holiday people ( guess what we do?) we have our sights firmly set on France so with a decent awning we should be fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Cheers for the advice, as it is all rather theoretical at the moment we just need to go with the flow and adapt our home routine as and when. The one thing that worries a little is the size of some of the MH's driven by posters with families. I went for a used Glen as it seemed big enough to work for us but not so big that it would intimidate a newbie like me..the lack of chintz is also useful given the messiness of young children. As 12 week a year holiday people ( guess what we do?) we have our sights firmly set on France so with a decent awning we should be fine.

Erm....TEACHER????!!!! France is great and with an awning you will be fine for space and the kids (and you) will love it! :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back