Double the electrics. (1 Viewer)

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi,

If I have 7 amp hookup can I connect my camper to two ehu connections instead of one and get 14 amps?

If so, is it as easy as using a splitter (see pic) in reverse?

Thanks
Bryan

Attachments

• splitter.JPG
    splitter.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 8

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
interesting argument

Hi,

If I have 7 amp hookup can I connect my camper to two ehu connections instead of one and get 14 amps?

Thanks
Bryan

OK, we must have an expert that can solve this one..makes for an iteresting argument.. who gets what at what amps?:Blush:

Bob:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I know the yanks do this, you can buy the widgets to achieve:Eeek:

I know if we turned all we have on we could exceed 7 amp, but why would we/you?

Just curious?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
like sticking your finger in

I know the yanks do this, you can buy the widgets to achieve:Eeek:

I know if we turned all we have on we could exceed 7 amp, but why would we/you?

Just curious?

Simon, Just like sticking your finger into the elctric fly swat to see if it works?:Blush:

Bob:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Site EHU supplies are run in three phases + neutral .. one phase per socket .

it would work if both on the same phase but as you don't know this .. it's a big NO .. do not do this

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
During a recent electrical safety inspection and certification carried out by my oldest boy Simon. at Newark one of these systems was found on a RV It was pointed out that
Although unlikely, it is possible to pick up two different phases
and input 480Volts:Eeek: using this method
Go for it brian your electrical problems will be over:Doh:
Geo
Make my day
Ask yourself Punk!!!
Do you feel lucky

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bryan, I could well be talking b-----ks here but most UK camp-sites are 10 OR 16 amps so why is your van limited to 7 ? Does it trip above 7 ? If that is the case then fit a bigger trip.
terry

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No Bryan is just greedy he knows there is 48 amps out there on a 16 amp site and he's proberly already working on a "relay" powerd self circulating power input that will suck 16 amps off each phase in turn:Doh:
Geo

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Simon, Just like sticking your finger into the elctric fly swat to see if it works?:Blush:

Bob:Eeek:

Thought about it, but not daft enough to try, now lets see how many admit to it:ROFLMAO:

I'm sure Haganap will tell us how enjoyable it is at Lincoln :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi Bryan, I could well be talking b-----ks here but most UK camp-sites are 10 OR 16 amps so why is your van limited to 7 ? Does it trip above 7 ? If that is the case then fit a bigger trip.
terry

Hi Terry,

Van is not limited to 7 amp, just asking the question; same question could have been worded 2 x 16 amps to get 32 amps but I wanted to take the cable used out of the equation. :Smile:

Bryan

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Thanks for all the quick replies.

The consensus seems to be a resounding NO! :ROFLMAO: due to phases or something...That I know nothing about :Doh:

So given that MY way is not so clever, is there a way to do it at all?

Thanks

Bryan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Thanks

Bryan

Not if Jim's right and there is a risk of more than one phase.

If you tested for single phase ( 0V from live to live ) then you could in theory split your wiring into two semi-equal loads and have two hook-ups, you'd use a splitter if you found a single 16A supply.

Hmmm. Talking theoretical, there is a way with 2 phases. Two BIG chargers, one off each phase and you run everything of a whopping inverter. This would work with single or two phases. Might be able to squeeze a relay in there somewhere. There might be a voltage issue because all of a sudden you are in command of a 390/415V system. Different regs ?

See if you can find one 12V 150A and one 12V 300A charger before you get too excited. And a 3 or 4kW inverter and some very thick wire.

Can NASA copy with 300A ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for all the quick replies.

The consensus seems to be a resounding NO! :ROFLMAO: due to phases or something...That I know nothing about :Doh:

Thanks

Bryan
Lost me Bryan :ROFLMAO: I suppose you could wire the left side of the van to work off one hook up and the right off tother :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Simannjo

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Nottingham.
Funster No
Connecting 2 leads to different outlets would double the amount of current avaliable...
BUT...

As has been mentioned, the possibility of one socket/lead being on one phase and the other socket/lead on another phase is possible and not advisable... Here's why...

As a rough (but reasonable) guess you would have 415V between the lives of each cable... The common connection being the RV or connector/adapter and in effect a dead short on a 3 phase circuit.
The PFC (Prospective Fault Current) on a 3 phase installation is very likey to be a MINIMUM of 2500 amps and probably higher... All through a 2.5mm Hook-up cable designed to carry a max 27amps...

Be nice to watch though! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi,

Thanks
Bryan

Be careful mate , we were in Spain with friends 2 yrs ago and he did that , there was an all mighty bang and he had blew the electrics up on site :Doh::Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The PFC (Prospective Fault Current) on a 3 phase installation is very likey to be a MINIMUM of 2500 amps and probably higher... All through a 2.5mm Hook-up cable designed to carry a max 27amps...

Be nice to watch though! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

One or both of the outlet's MCBs would trip first...

Simannjo

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Nottingham.
Funster No
One or both of the outlet's MCBs would trip first...

No doubt... (Drama ruined!)
But when the source of the short is either in the hand - the plug or the switch - It's still gonna make a bang as it's still gonna be 2.5 Kva!

Even if it is only for a micro second.

The cable might survive, but I don't think my heart would!!!

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi brian
the only way to do this safely is to plug 1 hook up lead into the vans input socket
then connect the second hook up to 1 of those blue socket to 13 amp adapters and use a 4 way socket to power the other things.
that way the 2 separate phases remain separate.

when i was working as a sound engineer we had a lighting guy decided he wanted a 63amp single phase socket in his unit so he opened the mains box that had 3 phase mains got a socket and wired the live on the socket to all 3 lives in the box he then wired neutral to neutral and earth to earth to make the completed socket when he switched the power back on it took out the area sub station and blew a hole in the unit wall quite spectacular to see but he wasn't flavour of the month with the electric company and he earned the nick name shadow for his efforts.:thumb::thumb:

andy.

welsh winger

Free Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Swansea
Funster No
MH
swift lifestyle
Exp
4 years
Dont fancy having 415volts in my van, it hurts, as a sparky I read this thread in horror, If just one person gets the wrong end of the stick, or in this case a wire, there will be a death.

Nick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
short answer Bryan....no.

the breakers in the post are designed to pass no more than 7amps no matter how many 'supplies' you have to one input socket.

all that would achieve is the possiblility you will trip one breaker before the other due to minor intolerances in the breakers due to age differences.

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
and he earned the nick name shadow for his efforts.:thumb::thumb:

andy.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Love it, Shadow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Does Suzy know about this idea of yours?????

...erm, of course?

Okay, it sounds that it IS possible if the two hookup sockets are on the same phase...

so....

...is there an easy way to check if two sockets are on the same phase or different phases? ::bigsmile:

yours hopefully,

Bryan 'Kaboom' Admin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
hi brian
the only way to do this safely is to plug 1 hook up lead into the vans input socket
then connect the second hook up to 1 of those blue socket to 13 amp adapters and use a 4 way socket to power the other things.
that way the 2 separate phases remain separate.

please please do not do this.. this is really bad advice .. having two phases in a van is highly dangerous ..

I wouldn't give medical or legal advice ..if your not qualified please don't give electrical advice..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Love it, Shadow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

...erm, of course?

Okay, it sounds that it IS possible if the two hookup sockets are on the same phase...

so....

...is there an easy way to check if two sockets are on the same phase or different phases? ::bigsmile:

yours hopefully,

Bryan 'Kaboom' Admin

this is were the site owner gets upset......:Doh:

dismantle the post.....:Eeek:

look at the wiring to the outlets....

2 or more linked by a common 'live' wire will be on the same phase....

one wire, one outlet...one of three phases to that outlet only.

just run your genny you tight ****....that'll give you 40amps+

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the safest way is to keep the 2 hookups separate from each other.
you can test to see if the outlets are on the same phase by using a suitable multimeter
although it is most likely that if a post has 3 outlets they will be on separate phases.

andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back