Super pitch enquiry - GAS related (1 Viewer)

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi all

Could someone please tell me whether they have come across a gas stanchion connection when on the super pitch sites.

We have been reading an Institute of Gas Engineers standard this morning that refers to them.

I have come across the usual city water, TV point, waste/drain connections etc but never come across a gas connection.

This is quite an important question as it makes a difference to the regulations so I may keep bumping this thread during the next day or two to try and ensure it is read by as many funsters as possible.

Many thanks
Pammy

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi all

Could someone please tell me whether they have come across a gas stanchion connection when on the super pitch sites.

We have been reading an Institute of Gas Engineers standard this morning that refers to them.

I have come across the usual city water, TV point, waste/drain connections etc but never come across a gas connection.

This is quite an important question as it makes a difference to the regulations so I may keep bumping this thread during the next day or two to try and ensure it is read by as many funsters as possible.

Many thanks
Pammy

I have come across a Satelite dish hook up on a site but never gas.

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Pammy

I've never come across or heard of LPG mains on a touring pitch .. only on static caravan or holiday park sites such as Park Holidays, maybe that is what they refer ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Never seen a gas point on a pitch, but then again can't say that I have looked, did not think of there being one. As you say seen all other services.

Know you can get them on some static sites as said by Jim.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
dont think i would fancy a sight with gas on the pitch
bad enough when folks take the electric hook up with them
let alone stand pipe for gas next to a bbq

could be static sights though

OP
OP
Pammy

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi Pammy

I've never come across or heard of LPG mains on a touring pitch .. only on static caravan or holiday park sites such as Park Holidays, maybe that is what they refer ?

Hi Jim

The standard (which we are reading) states:

"The standard does not specifically address single or multiple stanchions that offer plug-in connections for various services to touring caravans and motor homes (sometimes referred to as "super pitches"). Guidance on such stanchions may be sought from the gas supplier"

So it is implying that there are some sites that offer this to tourers.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me thinks someone has there knickers in a twist
Not only are they not seen on touring pitches
The equipment to use use them if they did exist is not a common item seen at shows or caravan shops
Jo public has all on buying more than a 3 mtr legnth of pipe to start with:Doh:
So my take on it is
FALSE
Geo

OP
OP
Pammy

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Me thinks someone has there knickers in a twist
Not only are they not seen on touring pitches
The equipment to use use them if they did exist is not a common item seen at shows or caravan shops
Jo public has all on buying more than a 3 mtr legnth of pipe to start with:Doh:
So my take on it is
FALSE
Geo

I am quoting from the IGEM Standard which is important to understand because if it is correct and there are sites out there that offer this facility, the minute anyone hooks into it, immediately puts their van under a different 'Scope'. The Manager or Owner of the site should have a Gas Safety certificate (just like a landlord has to have a landlords certificate when renting out a house/flat etc) done through a Gas Safe Registered Engineer who then, in turn can ask the motorhome owner for his safety certificate which has also been done by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. The Standard we are looking at is a revised standard and as I've said before, the regulations are going to change and this could be the start of it. Just because there may not be any sites offering this facility at the moment doesn't mean that there won't be in the future. This could be in preparation for it. By connecting into a stanchion means you are extending his bulk tank gas supply.

I hear what you are saying about the equipment and I doubt like you whether there are sites of this nature anywhere (like I said - at the moment) but the question is worth asking. There are more travelled people out there than us Geo.:cry:

Some of the regs actually contradict themselves so we are passing queries to Gas Safe for interpretation.:Doh:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There are gas barbeque points available in most camping shops. These are twist to turn on. I have one fitted to my motorhome for the safari chef or an outside fridge. If the point was attached to the stanchion and the pipe went to a similar point on the van you could have a connection.

John

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Never seen gas stanchions on any site or advertised anywhere. Would be a problem hooking up anyway because undoubtedly there would not be a universal standard for the connectors so you would have to have multiple connectors just as you have for EHU and then the safety point if Leccy goes wrong then there are fuses in place and RCD trips to make things safe. No such thing with gas that I know of

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
May be a stupid suggestion (i have been known to offer them...) but why not ask the C&CC or the CC for instance? If anyone knows they should?

David

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i reckon this is a 'covering our own ass' statement/regulation just incase any site owners decide its a good idea...which is never going to happen with all the certification required.

everyone carries gas but not 230v leccy (noisy genny's excluded)

as others have said....gas and open flames (fridge burners, heater/boiler exhausts and BBQs) is not a good idea.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Strange one this, it would mean there will be the need for a double ended flexible hose with a bayonet fix on each end, cos if youare on bottles you have to isolate them before you could hook up, I dont think this is for the general public at large do you??????????:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

OP
OP
Pammy

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Strange one this, it would mean there will be the need for a double ended flexible hose with a bayonet fix on each end, cos if youare on bottles you have to isolate them before you could hook up, I dont think this is for the general public at large do you??????????:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

"The standard does not specifically address single or multiple stanchions that offer plug-in connections for various services to touring caravans and motor homes (sometimes referred to as "super pitches"). Guidance on such stanchions may be sought from the gas supplier"

How else would you interpret the regulation then Rob. If it's not for the general public at large as you say, then who owns the touring caravans and motor homes it relates to.

Thanks everyone for your replies - it is what I expected you'd say.

The regulations are being reviewed at the moment so when I get any info which I think will be useful to you then I'll bring it back to the forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back