Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
i seem to have a issue with the onboard charger.:Eeek::Eeek:

when battery is around 80% charged onboard charger is putting in 13.6v and only about 4 amps so the batteries never get fully charged as i only run the genny for around 4hrs, on hook up all seems fine and batteries have enough time to get fully charged but we currently do not have hook up.

So today i thought i would try the battery charger i had in the shed a waeco iuou 4512 to see if it was worth fitting.

I connected on a temp basic via jump leads connected to genny through van electrics for onbard charger, without van electric, for waeco, here is what i found starting battery at 60% charge.

On board charger 17amps
Waeco 30amps

My questions are:
why does van charger go down to 4 amps ? should it not switch to 14.4volts from 13.6v to complete charge.

Can i just add connect the waeco charger to my batteries or do i need to disconnect the onboard charger first

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant help with the other question but you can connect the other charger without disconnecting the onboard one....
no different than having a solar panel and hookup running onboard charger at the same time.
the battery will only take what it needs.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hI CHANCES ARE YOUR ON BOARD CHARGER IS A 3 STAGE ONE BANGING IN A BIG CHARGE AT FIRST THEN SETTLING DOWN TO A SMALLER CHARGE WHEN BATTERY'S ARE NEARLY CHARGED THEN ONTO A MAINTENANCE CHARGE - ONLY SOLUTION WOULD BE TO RUN GENNY FOR LONGER PERIOD :thumb: ooops sorry for caps
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My questions are:
why does van charger go down to 4 amps ? should it not switch to 14.4volts from 13.6v to complete charge.

If it's a fixed 13.6V charger, that's what you'll get. Do you know the charger spec ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Forgot to say putting 2 chargers on will not harm it but both will get signal to drop the charge (if you follow what I mean )down to trickle the last bit :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
If it's a fixed 13.6V charger, that's what you'll get. Do you know the charger spec ?

Not fixed according to the spec it should go to 14.4v for final bit. I have seen it at this voltage on hook up, may be it needs to be on for so many hours before it changes to higher voltage.

Ran the waeco for 1 hr and batteries now have more charge than they have all week running the onboard for 4hrs a night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Forgot to say putting 2 chargers on will not harm it but both will get signal to drop the charge (if you follow what I mean )down to trickle the last bit :thumb:
terry

Yeh the bit that gets to me is the onboard charger drops it down when battery at 13+volts so it takes hours to go from 80% charge to 100%. even though the spec says it is a 14.4v max charge.

The waeco increases the voltage to 14.4v and puts in a much higher amps charging the battery fully in a much shorter time

Looks like i need to find somwhere to fit the waeco. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back