Sep 6, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two years
Hi

I was wondering if anyone out there can offer some advice.

I run a 1977 Pilote Galaxy 25 S which is low mileage and in very good condition. However a problem started a few weeks ago, I noticed staining on the cloth to the top left of the windscreen. This tested positive for damp. However it dried out in thirty seconds with a hair dryer.

As the screen was delaminating I presumed that was the reason, and a new screen was fitted. However the damp keeps reoccurring when it rains, it always dries out quickly with the hair dryer.

What is really stumping me is that I have covered the roof at the front of the van with a waterproof cover, which goes half way down the screen. It still happens, even though the outside bodywork under the cover is dry.

All the joints on the van were professionally resealed a year or so ago

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I suspect the damp is creeping along under the roof skin, drying locally isn't resolving the issue..
The only way to find out where the damp is coming from is to remove the roof liner .. likely suspect is a skylight ..

Another possibility is condensation on the underside of the roof skin .. perhaps where the roof insulation has moved or slipped.

This needs urgent attention.. left unchecked it will rot the timber.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I would strip the roof lining straight away :thumb:I suspect that you park on a slight slope with the top left of the windscreen being the lowest point :winky:The water is doing what water does and running to the lowest point where it is showing as your damp patch :Eeek:It is possible for it to be leaking at the back, running to the front :whatthe: Check all sky lights and seams :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sheptenelan

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two years
Thanks for that. However if the weather is fine there is no sign of damp. I would have thought that if it were under the roof lining, the damp would remain. It appears to creep in around the top corner of the screen. The screen is to be refitted as soon as possible.
Cheers.

Swift

Banned
Sep 13, 2010
Funster No
Buy a damp meter off bay for £15 or so and have a good probe around, it will help you identify the source by level of reading. I bought one to check mine before I bought it, very easy to use, good luck!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks for that. However if the weather is fine there is no sign of damp. I would have thought that if it were under the roof lining, the damp would remain. It appears to creep in around the top corner of the screen. The screen is to be refitted as soon as possible.
Cheers.
Any chance of a picture ? This one is confusing my small brain :Eeek: surely your roof lining is higher than the windscreen top ?
terry
I take it your van is an A CLASS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sheptenelan

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Two years
To Swift, yes I have a damp meter. It has not rained for a while now and I dried it some time ago with the hair dryer, and it is still dry. and Terry yes it is an 'A' class. Auto windscreens have messed up fitting the new screen, there is a rubber beading which runs around the screen. Then the rubber cosmetic trim fits into that. The fitter has not run the rubber bead across the top of the screen, it is all glued in behind the top of the screen. So there maybe a small gap, we will see when another screen is fitted, and hopefully correctly.
Cheers,Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back