I wouldn't mind trying this Yamaha Niken (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Love it. Funnily enough I did just the same one day, right foot down. The left foot nothing, would not move, my lace had caught in the footpeg, but I got away with that one. You can tell how long ago by "laces". But I still know exactly where it happened.

Done that too with the laces :D2 got away with it but got a fright. You only do it once, I tucked them in my boot after. And today my crocs don't have laces :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Not needing a kickstand :D
It still needs a side stand as it doesn’t lock like a 3 wheel scooter, it will fall over at a standstill.
It’s no wider than a 1200 gs, the bars are the widest point as they are on most none sports bikes.
The majority of people, including the doubters , are amazed by the levels of grip at the front end. To the extent that some are disappointed that the cornering skills they have developed over the years have been made semi redundant.
Almost everyone who try’s one ends up smiling.......but not necessarily buying.
Go try one.
No, I don’t work for Yamaha, lol.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Some of the best test riders around are amazed at how good the handling and stability is in all conditions. Would I buy one ? Probably not but that's based on looks rather than performance.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is a one page review of it in this week's MCN - probably on line now.

A look warm review to say the least and that is form a "don't upset the advertisers" rag.

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Not many for sale used. Mostly pre reg and demo. The GT version looks to have bombed too. A Tracer is £3k less with the same running gear, so it is an uphill struggle to sell.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As does a bike. The skill is in preventing sudden grip and the resultant high-side.

I dispute a bike remains stable after a slide. Whichever wheel slides it put the contact point further from the CoG and once the contact point is not in line with CoG that is an unstable condition and will topple without intervention.

A car can slide all over the place and not topple.

Which if you watched last weekends racing, even super heroes fail to do at times. It was a spectacular weekend for highsides.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I dispute a bike remains stable after a slide. Whichever wheel slides it put the contact point further from the CoG and once the contact point is not in line with CoG that is an unstable condition and will topple without intervention.

A car can slide all over the place and not topple.

Which if you watched last weekends racing, even super heroes fail to do at times. It was a spectacular weekend for highsides.
A bike can be held in a stable slide and brought out of it under control. A front slide, as in a car, occurs whenever there's a steering input and, again as in a car, is the easiest to control. The bike differs in that misuse of throttle or brake during a steering input is more likely to result in total loss of control the result of which can be more serious.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A bike can be held in a stable slide and brought out of it under control.

As demonstrated regularly by Mr Marquez.

I think we are stumbling over the word "stable" here. I am using the physics definition "if an object moves and it's CofG rises then it is stable, if it falls it is unstable".

A bike is inherently unstable, a car stable.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
A bike can be held in a stable slide and brought out of it under control. A front slide, as in a car, occurs whenever there's a steering input and, again as in a car, is the easiest to control. The bike differs in that misuse of throttle or brake during a steering input is more likely to result in total loss of control the result of which can be more serious.
Or unless you hit diesel or some other non-grippy stuff. :(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As demonstrated regularly by Mr Marquez.

I think we are stumbling over the word "stable" here. I am using the physics definition "if an object moves and it's CofG rises then it is stable, if it falls it is unstable".

A bike is inherently unstable, a car stable.
No argument there :D.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The farmers round here manage some horrify slippiness but at least you can see it.
We have the same issues in Cumbria. Actually 'issues' is an accurate description :). However unlike Diesel one can both see and smell it.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. Its nothing more than a pointless sales gimmick, a triumph of marketing over sound business decision making. They have tried to reinvent the wheel and that's never really worked in the past.

For sure its is a fine example of engineering prowess but to what end; Who's going to buy it? Not to mention it's plug-ugly in the flesh.

Its' trying to be all things to all men and in the process being nothing to anybody; a bit like the automotive equivalent of Tony Blair.

As for sliding? Backin' her in? Wheelies? Lets have a reality check here ladies! Not on public roads, Johnny Law will get ya and most of us cant do it anyway....well maybe once and then off to A&E.

I would wager my pocket money that if you hit a large deisel patch on this whilst cornering you will go down, just like any other bike, unless you're Rossi.

And most of all... you'd have to hand in your cool badge as no other biker will want to be seen talking to you as its not a bike, its a f**king trike!

Nuff said, take your money to the KTM dealer.

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Providing it's not affecting you, what's it matter. Get over it, move on and let them that wants one have one. No skin off my nose and hopefully with the extra grip, none off theirs.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Indeed. Fill your boots. I don't care either way, its your money. However, my objection to this rolling abortion is fourfold.

Firstly, to corporate monsters fleecing people of their hard earned by designing and promoting a poor product that nobody wants or needs.

Secondly, I would feel for a fellow biker that acted in haste, or was pressured by a pushy salesman making false promises, into buying a pup that they don't like.

Thirdly, there is the issue of resale; it will be hard to sell a machine second hand that nobody wanted first hand! You'd be as well flushing your cash down the crapper.

Finally, there are innumerable better options out there if you want to get into biking or change up your ride. This abomination should be last on the list, you could even consider a Harley over it, or God forbid a GS, or even a Vespa scooter would be better.

But hey, live and let live at the end of the day. I was only expressing my opinion.

Of course the fundamental objections remain, its a plug ugly trike. It would require its own forum. Here we discuss bikes, two wheels good, four wheels bad, 3 wheels WTF?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Of course the fundamental objections remain, its a plug ugly trike. It would require its own forum. Here we discuss bikes, two wheels good, four wheels bad, 3 wheels WTF?

Do I get the impression that you are not keen on these ?

At least one person on here bought such a trike so he could ride on a car licence. I think he's survived.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
KISS

The big question is WHY ?

So what will that do that a normal bike can't ?

So much to go wrong, so much weight, so much to service, so much to clean.

Keep itself under you when one front wheel loses grip!

Ian

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Indeed. Fill your boots. I don't care either way, its your money. However, my objection to this rolling abortion is fourfold.

Firstly, to corporate monsters fleecing people of their hard earned by designing and promoting a poor product that nobody wants or needs.

Secondly, I would feel for a fellow biker that acted in haste, or was pressured by a pushy salesman making false promises, into buying a pup that they don't like.

Thirdly, there is the issue of resale; it will be hard to sell a machine second hand that nobody wanted first hand! You'd be as well flushing your cash down the crapper.

Finally, there are innumerable better options out there if you want to get into biking or change up your ride. This abomination should be last on the list, you could even consider a Harley over it, or God forbid a GS, or even a Vespa scooter would be better.

But hey, live and let live at the end of the day. I was only expressing my opinion.

You forgot to add the caveat "in my opinion".

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
BUGGER !
If I had seen this before ordering the MP3 .................:rolleyes:

Why ?
Cos I am weak on my right side.. Dropped the GS because of it.
I am gutted but I wanna keep riding as long as I can... wanna keep riding to Italy to party with friends.. want to keep riding with my son, want to chew a lot more flies !
I am hoping the '3 will extend that possibility ( realistically and safely ) for several years

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I stand corrected. Was that a huge blunder by Yamaha ?

No, according to the technical Presentation on their ‘roadshow’ it was always intended as a bike for bikers.

People should ride it to assess its merits for themselves- I was impressed.

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
BUGGER !
If I had seen this before ordering the MP3 .................:rolleyes:

The Niken will still fall over if you don’t hold it up - it doesnt have self supporting capabilities.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back