Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well my laptop stopped working on Wi Fi so took it into PC World in swansea.

Told to take it home and phone thier tech guy number. Much going from one button to another got an answer, now after much pressing F8 & F10 now lost all my data and photos.

Still not working on Wi Fi either

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
John , contact Sonny care, if you registered the lappy they will help ..

I've had a few problems with my Sony, including a failed HD, they were great are getting it sorted ... chances are you haven't lost the data or pics

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp

I've had a few problems with my Sony, including a failed HD, they were great are getting it sorted ... chances are you haven't lost the data or pics

Will do, not impressed with this laptop at all so far.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Will do, not impressed with this laptop at all so far.

touch wood, since mine was repaired about two years ago it has been ace .. but I have read other 'not so good' reports .. :Sad:

when I sent mine back the service was excellent, turnaround within a week and it was collected and returned by courier ..

I've also had them call me to sort out issues .. anyways.. hope you get it sorted soon

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
There is a thread started by Jim, our ringleader somewhere about recovering photos, worth a search as it's likely they are still accessible with the right software.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There is a thread started by Jim, our ringleader somewhere about recovering photos, worth a search as it's likely they are still accessible with the right software.
I wish I knew how to do that, I lost all my photos about a year ago when my laptop crashed. I took it to the local computer shop and they said they were gone for ever. Wish I had taken a second opinion. At the time I stupidly had no backup so all pics of 10 years travelling were gone,including specimen fish.:Sad::cry::Doh::shout:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I don't know the software and I don't think it's picasso but worth a pm to Jim.

I'm probably talking to the converted but I always copy my photos to the laptop and two seperate external hard drives. At £50 for an external hard drive it's worth the outlay. A bit belt and braces but better safe than sorry.

Sorry you lost 10 years photos SB, that must have been really upsetting. I feel for you there.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

I second that thought Jim....

As long as the drive is spinning, hasn't been formatted etc the chances are the data can be recovered...

Just need to find the cause of the lappy crash...

Again I feel for Snowbird.....Losing all that data...:Sad:

That's the first thing I do before going any work on a laptop/pc....Back the users data up after giving them a ring first to verify they have not already got a copy.

Just be aware, John, that if the laptop is taken away there is normally some smallprint stating that all data will/might be lost during the repair process.

Have seen this on many warranty repairs...

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I use an external drive

I wish I knew how to do that, I lost all my photos about a year ago when my laptop crashed. I took it to the local computer shop and they said they were gone for ever. Wish I had taken a second opinion. At the time I stupidly had no backup so all pics of 10 years travelling were gone,including specimen fish.:Sad::cry::Doh::shout:

I back photos up to two or three places, hard drive, an external Western Digital hard drive and even on memory sticks.. been caught once, never again.. takes a little longer, but safer in the long run.

Bob:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I back photos up to two or three places, hard drive, an external Western Digital hard drive and even on memory sticks.. been caught once, never again.. takes a little longer, but safer in the long run.

Me too.. I also keep them on Picasa on line , and also print out the very best on A4 and store in a proper photo album with plastic pockets,

I've often pondered, where they will be in say 100 years or more ?

odds are that there won't be the kit to read CD/DVD discs , hard drives or memory sticks and the net may have been replaced by some other advanced technology .. paper may have faded but with a bit of luck, handing them down to my kids they will look after them and re produce and save, just as we do with old photos..

gj1023

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
1 week lol
2.5 external usb HDD , small, cheap and saves that devastating feeling when you realise you have lost your pics, music or documents. Something a lot of us learn after the event

Gary

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

I totaly agree....problem is I know a little about steam engines,diesel engines,old cars,tractors,guns,fishing,RVs,Euro campers,routes around Europe,North Africa,Middle East,food,wine,beer.Am a half decent cook.
I know absolutely NOTHING about computers,females,TV and anything to do with the modern world.
Thats maybe why my friends call me the dinasour.:Smile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I have an external hard drive but got caught out with this fault:Doh:

No Wi Fi how could i possibly lose everything:swear:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
been caught once, never again.. takes a little longer

Don't be fooled into thinking that because you transfer to something else you are safe. It's all too easy to copy a corrupted file on top of a good backup.

Say you edit a photo, it gets damaged, you invoke your backup, it's newer so it overwrites the last good version.

I'd suggest always dumping to fresh DVD or Blueray that way you never overwrite anything.

Problem: we don't know how long DVDs will store data.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Problem: we don't know how long DVDs will store data. __________________

Millions of years
Or the untill the day before you need it:RollEyes:
Which ever comes first:Doh:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Problem: we don't know how long DVDs will store data.

More important is the fact that as technology changes so fast you may very well have agood backup of your data on perfect media (dvd for example) but no device to read it. DVD drives will be long gone long before your dvd deteriorates.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
More important is the fact that as technology changes so fast you may very well have agood backup of your data on perfect media (dvd for example) but no device to read it. DVD drives will be long gone long before your dvd deteriorates.

Just as some people have found themselves with floppy disks they can no longer read because they have no drive.

The same can be said of file formats. When information is saved in a proprietary format, often only the software which saved it can read it. Lose the software (or be unable to run it on a newer machine) and suddenly no access to data.

I'm not complaining though - one of our services is converting old genealogy files ::bigsmile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back