I hate the clean down after shows (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
First day available after the Bath & West show to start the clean down of the RV. We got back in the early hours Monday and Sue had shopping and me various duties at an AGM and board meeting late pm and evening.. Sue works long days Tuesdays and Wednesdays so it came down to Thursday i.e today.

I hate it. I always get shouted at for getting Sue wet with the hose and boy there is some much area on an American RV that has to be soaped and then hosed off.... being in the wheelchair I tend to work close to the van as the pole and brush get heavy so yes I get soaked... my jeans are still sticking to me. At one point I was not sure if the van had more soap or my head... oh well I do not need a shower now.

The first job was dump the rest of the black tank to the mobile unit and then in to the outside sewage dump in the garden (drain with a 16' drop in side and step rails in the side... have to make sure the wheelchair does not get to close the the edge or Ezzie getting to close to the open pit.).. despite dropping it at Bath & West we still had to down load two loads and that is not a nice job.. all done, then the wash of the out side.

That is it for today... tomorrow Sue does the inside of the van, hover, polish etc.,... I have already loaded the water for next weeks Lincoln and it becomes a gradual load of food etc., - The fridge was emoptied on Monday between the other jobs out side the life of the RV.

So we look forward to the trips, but hate the after work. Is it as bad for all of us? Are there hundreds doing the same things as we do getting ready and unpacking and re packing, cleaning or what do you do? or is just me:Blush:

Not sure it is worse than the half hour on the phone to the tax office trying to sort out the tax on Sue's state pension and the other pensions.. it was like talking to Ezzie, except this person spoke back and still did not make sense... still cannot work out how the personal allowance has dropped to £540 for the rest of the year. Oh life can be so hard some days:Angry: still next weekend to look forward to.

Bob:Eeek:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Bob

Admittedly ours isn't an RV and just a 21' MH but I really don't mind my side of the clean up, ie the inside, since it means it is spick and span and just waiting for our next trip. However, yours does seem a particuarly big job so it must be worse.
Ivy

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think I'd like to clean the outside of a full RV either :Smile: Cleaning our 18' "small but perfectly formed" model is a lot easier since we discovered Onedrywash though. Beats using a long handled brush any day.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well believe it or not , even though we have 2 dogs and 3 kids our MH is always clean and tidy. Inside and out. Clean as you go , a place for everything is our motto.
Well its Ralph and I's , the kids need a bit of persuading sometimes.
I clean the bathroom area and kitchen every day , and run the Hoover over everything too.:Blush:
It only takes a short while.

Once back in storage I empty the fridge , if theres anything left , into the cool box.
Clean that all out , then thats it .
All done till next weekend.
As for the outside , that gets done as and when it needs it.
Since spending hours on it a couple of weeks ago , the both of us , with the Autoglym it doesn't need it doing half as much. Its stayed really shiny. There may be the odd black rubber mark line from one of the windows, but a quick , rub with a rag n polish gets that off.

A friend of mine , well a mum of one of the kids friends should I say, had a plaque in her kitchen.
It said a clean house meant a boring life , or something like that.
She once said " I ought to get you one of those " .... I smiled sweetly ,
as I wiped my feet before leaving her house:ROFLMAO:
Bev

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tesco's !!!

Said it before and will say it again :thumb:

The guys down there charge me £20 ( it went up a fiver this year ) to clean the Miller. ( its 24ft )

While there this time an RV pulled in ( a big bugger ).. They charged him £25.00

They take 20 minutes. Just enough time to have a stroll around the store, grab an egg on toast and a cuppa before picking the ol girl up again :thumb:

Ok, I know that is not exactly pennies but hey, I would rather go without a few sherbets than be soaked and freezing blooming cold !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't you think that your RV is trying to tell you something ?

You wash it, it gets dirty.

It likes dirty, just leave it alone and it will be happy.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Takes me about three hours to wash and leather mine:cry::cry::cry:don't do the inside thats a job for the boss:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:will be doing mine on Saturday.:Sad::Sad::Sad:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sooooo... How much is your time worth to you ? £7.00 an hour by the sound of it !

Tesco's !! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Sooooo... How much is your time worth to you ? £7.00 an hour by the sound of it !

Tesco's !! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Won't go in our local Tesco's too high for the barrier, and none of the local car washes have a pitch to take a 35' RV, so down to me, plus I know it's done right when I do it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not one of the local supermarkets have height restrictions.. And both Tescos and Sainsburys turn a blind eye to overnighting providing you are well out of the way..

Appreciate not all places are like that of course, but might be worth trying to educate the local manager as he is loosing customers !

The guys I use are brill.. Always make a first class job for me. Though this time I did beat them with some tree sap I managed to collect ( and have STILL been unable to remove :cry: )

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
You wouldn't want to overnight at our Tesco's it's on the local reservation.

You would wake up in the morning with no wheels and the inside stripped out around you.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
M R said:
You wouldn't want to overnight at our Tesco's it's on the local reservation.

You would wake up in the morning with no wheels and the inside stripped out around you.

LOL !! Thetford has a fairly iffy reputation.. Yet I regularly read stuff like this and thank the good heavens I live here !

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We dont even have a Tescos store .
Well we do , but only those little stores in a petrol station or corner shop type. Asda doesn't do a hand wash service , neither Morrison's or Sainsbury's .
It would be worth a visit if you had a big RV. But its not so much the washing that takes the time , on ours I think , but the polishing.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Now the polishing:RollEyes::RollEyes::RollEyes: thats six hours but thankfully with a good polish and a good wash and wax it dosn't need polishing that often, but I must admit as much as i don't like cleaning vehicles I do like the end result, so it's worth it.

Must be done though I hate driving dirty vehicles, it comes from when I used to do close to 100,000 miles a year, felt like I lived in trucks and cars those days so it had to be clean.

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
polish? what is it?

I never polish the van.. to much hard work for me.. a wash yes, and now and then I clean the chrome (you know the stuff the bumpers used to be made of on real cars years ago... we still have them on American B class motor homes:Cool:)... But there is a heck of a lot of fiberglass on an RV and it would cost me the other leg (as in arm and leg) to buy enough of these dry wash packs to do the RV top to bottom.

As for trying to find a hand wash that will do it.. tried that and they just look at you as if you are mad.. the last time I managed to get one done and that was a Ram Van cost me £20 years back.

I can remember when I was a boy all those years back when I used to go on my bike and take a bucket and wash cars for 5/- or 7/6d - now I made a fortune on a Saturday and a Sunday.. that was before every illigal was doing it.

Oh to be young again:Sad:

Bob... anyone do my van for £25? (want it polished as well... I will be at Lincoln and will provide the water and the polish?????):thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must be done though I hate driving dirty vehicles, it comes from when I used to do close to 100,000 miles a year, felt like I lived in trucks and cars those days so it had to be clean.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Oddly enough that is exactly why I pay someone else to do mine !
Dispatched for 4 years.. If the bike / car was not spotless I was not allowed to carry the customers parcel / letter whatever.... Hated with a passion cleaning the vehicle after driving it for 14 hours +

Started at 0600 every day ( early round ), back to depot for long distance stuff at 0830, then off to where ever ( anywhere from London to Plymouth to Aberdeen and parts beyond, and all had to be done AND back home in one day !! )
So the moment I got back home I would get one of the kids to wash the vehicle used, ready for the following day :Smile:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
still looking for someone

Oddly enough that is exactly why I pay someone else to do mine !
Dispatched for 4 years.. If the bike / car was not spotless I was not allowed to carry the customers parcel / letter whatever.... Hated with a passion cleaning the vehicle after driving it for 14 hours +

Started at 0600 every day ( early round ), back to depot for long distance stuff at 0830, then off to where ever ( anywhere from London to Plymouth to Aberdeen and parts beyond, and all had to be done AND back home in one day !! )
So the moment I got back home I would get one of the kids to wash the vehicle used, ready for the following day :Smile:

You cannot even put an ad in a shop or newspaper, what with the rules on health and saftey and a dozen other rules... whatever happened to my childhood when you did your own thing and took the knocks and bumps of life.

Bob:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back