Leasure battery is it terminal (1 Viewer)

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
Hi My leasure battery wont hold a charge I looked at the electrolyte level the other day and all the cells needed topping up. (one other thing that the selling dealer didnt check). I have resignd my self to replacing the battery. But the only thing that concirns me is its demise due to old age or is it being discharged through a leakage some where. Am i right in thinking that If the aux- veh switch is in the centre position then no currant can escape. Also does the veicle battery get charged when the hook up is connected. New to this game so there may be a few more of these silly questions.

Attachments

• Picture 136.jpg
    Picture 136.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 27

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
put the switch in the center (off) position and the battery will neither receive a charge or discharge through use (though it will 'self' discharge over time) providing nothing is connected between battery and switch.....alarm etc.

in the center position the charger/power supply alone will power any 12v equipment without charging the battery.

your engine battery will charge on hookup if the panel switch is set to 'VEH' and, if not hooked up, you can use the engine battery as an emergency leisure battery by switching to VEH, but not advised for any length of time or the engine battery will also be flat when you need it most.

OP
OP
B

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
Thanks for that. We have just got back from two days static with the hook up connected and the switch set to aux. within twenty four hours the volt meter read nine volts. (its lowest reading) The water pump still runs, but lights are dim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for that. We have just got back from two days static with the hook up connected and the switch set to aux. within twenty four hours the volt meter read nine volts. (its lowest reading) The water pump still runs, but lights are dim.

sounds like your charger is either faulty or turned off as when on hookup and switched to aux the charger will divert power to the leisure battery.

if you have a volt/multi meter connect it to the battery with the hookup off and note the voltage at the battery.
connect hookup and recheck....it should read higher with hookup connected.

if its no different check the charger is on and the fuse is ok....the fuse may be in a linear fuse holder on the charger casing.
look for a small slotted plastic screw in cover about the width of a toothpaste tube top otherwise check both the 12v and 230v fuse boxs.

if its all on and fuses ok then i suspect a faulty charger.

ps...9v is dangerously low, battery health wise, and the chances of permanant battery damage is extremely likely.

OP
OP
B

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
With the hook up connected the leasure battery reads over twelve volts on the control panel

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
it`s a goner

It`s off to buy a new battery for you I`m afraid, with a reading of 9 volts the battery is well and truly a goner.
A battery is considered fully charged with a reading of 12.8 volts, a reading of 9 volts sounds like you have a shorted cell.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With the hook up connected the leasure battery reads over twelve volts on the control panel

the control panel is reading the battery charger output volts, via the battery,...not the actual battery volts.

you now need to disconnect the hookup and check the volts again, off hookup, after an hour or so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back