Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
glossop derbyshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 4 years
hi to you all,, we are of up to inverness and up to loch ness from 30th sept for 10 days any body been this time of year .all advice welcome thanks norman & sylvia...

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Go up the west coast past Glasgow for better sleepyspots that are the some of the best in the country:thumb:, email me for some sleepyspots:thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with Ray :thumb:

Up the west coast and over to Skye.. best scenery in the UK if not Europe, plenty of places to wild, but in October ..

Expect and be prepared for anything.. wet, cold , snow, hail, and with a bit of luck sun and you may just see the mountains .. then it will all be worth it .

We spent three weeks at the end of July / Aug this year , it rained every day, not all day every day but it was wet, wet, wet, .... but it didn't spoil or detract from the beauty or tranquillity .. go and enjoy but take your wet gear..

One bonus.. no midges in Oct. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We'll be heading off around the same time, do this most years. West Coast is fantastic but be prepared for any sort of weather. Waterproofs, fleeces, shorts (yes, shorts) as the weather can change so much. Skye is great, when you can see it. First time I was there it was three days before I saw any mountains because of the mist. Whatever the weather the scenery is world class.

Enjoy
Bill

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Do so agree west coast for me then central Scotland, will be leaving for Scotland end of September for 6 weeks.

Great this time of year Autumn colours round Lochs wonderful, but as said be prepared for anything in the way of weather, even snow you can easily get 4 seasons in an hour,( let alone a day). We think the views in changeable weather can be fantastic.

Have done this time of year and Spring for years, you should enjoy

Enjoy yourselves.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
hi to you all,, we are of up to inverness and up to loch ness from 30th sept for 10 days any body been this time of year .all advice welcome thanks norman & sylvia...

How lovely , bet you cant wait.
Weve never been in the MH before either. But ive also been told to expect all type of weather . At least the midges aren't meant to be bad in the winter.
We cant wait for Boxing day as were off up to Aviemore for a week for the new year. Cant wait. I'm Expecting snow , lots of it ... Hope we get it .
Bev

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Just be prepared , waterproofs and fleeces , it will be lovely what ever the weather , I'm sure.
I love winter camping . We rallied all year round with the caravan too. I think you cant beat being all toasty warm inside your motorhome, looking out at the cold , wind , rain and nasty weather over a lovely lovely view. Which you are bound to get up there , lets face it.
I enjoy it just as much as the summer. Truly.
Beats being stuck at home doing the housework or watching loose women any day .
Bev

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm Expecting snow , lots of it ... Hope we get it .
Bev

You'll change your mind first time you hit real snow in that big FWD beastie of yours.

Make sure you have plenty of gas and electric and stay upright. But once the snow covers your gas vents you are as deep in poo as the rest of them. Hmmm, poo, with five of you that's another big problem.

Be Prepared.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You'll change your mind first time you hit real snow in that big FWD beastie of yours.

Make sure you have plenty of gas and electric and stay upright. But once the snow covers your gas vents you are as deep in poo as the rest of them. Hmmm, poo, with five of you that's another big problem.

Be Prepared.
We are staying on a site in Aviemore , with hook up , and all the normal facilities like elsan points :winky:
So we should be OK .
Bev
PS staying upright , for me , will be the problem.......

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We are staying on a site in Aviemore , with hook up , and all the normal facilities like elsan points :winky:
So we should be OK .
Bev

until they freeze up .. :Doh:

brings back happy memories of Aviemore celebrating the millennium ..

site two feet in snow, toilets and water taps frozen, only vehicles moving were 4x4s

still, it was great fun .. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So we should be OK .
Bev
PS staying upright , for me , will be the problem.......

I wasn't thinking about the site, it's the getting there and back I was talking about. It's mighty exposed up there. It's really Catch 22, if it's excellent skiing weather it's abominable driving weather for a big MH. Don't fight the weather, it will win, if you have to, stop there 'till it clears, can't be bad much past March.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
:ROFLMAO:

March:Eeek:
We are stopping off Boxing day night at another site , on the way up ,seeing a member of Ralph's family , then doing the next leg.
Weather permitting , of course.
The motorhome has diesel , Webasto heating so we will be warm enough whilst driving up there.
If we get stuck , it will be a bummer as the kids will miss some school ( I'm sure they'd hate me for that !) and Ralph's customers will get moved back a bit , but as long as we have food and heat , and we are on the site , we should be OK. I'm sure they are used to heavy snow , hopefully they will have equipment to move it , hopefully ....
It belongs to an Italian family that has run it for 30 years. They have a restaurant on site thats supposed to be very nice too. Never been before , but we are going on recommendation.
Bev

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Don't listen to them Bev. We live 50 miles north-east of Aviemore and have yet to be stuck (although I did experience a four wheel skid in the MH last winter:winky:). In fact, the worst of the weather normally arrives later in January.

We are going to be in your neck of the woods between Xmas & new year so give us a wave if you see us on your return home.

Phil

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
The site owner said it had snowed them in for the first time in donkey years last year. So fingers crossed , that will be it for a few more donkey years.

I think some people enjoy winding me up , I try to live by my motto though ( below my posts ) but dont always succeed:winky:

Aviemore or West Yorkshire between Xmas and the New year ?

Sorry for it looking like i Hijacked the post BTW it was not intentional.:Blush:

Bev

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Hi just got back from 6 weeks touring Scotland, it you can call in at Rosemarkie go to Channery Point and see if you can see the Dolphins jumping they are there as often as not.
If you can get to Skye call in at Plockton a great little place if you call in at Rowan Barn for some Free Range eggs best I have ever tasted and if you ask there is a great wild camping spot down by the Old boat. You can also park on the car park overnight down the bottom end even though the notices say not we were told there was no problem and we had none. this is one place I would not miss off.
Then of course there is Skye as much wild camping as your want all with amazing views. enjoy. :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

last time we went, 15months ago, the road round the northern end of loch lomand was a mess.....ruts and potholes abound.
much better to go via Helensburgh to Oban then head north to lochness.

we did this route on the return leg and the scenery is stunning....not as good as the highlands but stunning all the same.

of course, if you fancy loch lomand (and the potholes) then the A82 through glen coe is one of the most scenic and awe-inspiring roads i've ever driven on and i'd do it again tomorrow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back