Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
can anyone shed some light on a problem I have with 97 ducato 2.5 turbocat engine On a very irregular basis it will not turn off by ignition I have to stall it NOT NICE.:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like the fuel shutoff selonoid on the fuel pump is sticking open.

ignition energizes and opens the selonoid, turning off closes it under spring pressure.

easy job to remove and clean it out.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I expect Pappajohn's suggestion is the right one... so pay little heed to my story... but I had the same problem with my Iveco engine and it was caused by the spring in the solenoid actually breaking. The pieces went into the injector pump... you don't want to know anymore!!!:Sad:

I suggest getting it checked quickly...

JJ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Yes The diesel Shut-off valve isn't closing properly.:thumb:

Had a similar problem with my previous motor.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
usual fault with the selonoid is a total failure but then it wont start anyway 'cos it wont open.

could be dirt has found its way past the filter and stuck in the valve or just plain wear and tear on the valve.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
usual fault with the selonoid is a total failure but then it wont start anyway 'cos it wont open.

could be dirt has found its way past the filter and stuck in the valve or just plain wear and tear on the valve.

Exactly what happened to mine John

For a few days the engine would run on for a minute or two before stopping..I put it down to a sticky fuel solenoid.. but stupidly didn't investigate until it was too late .. it literally fell apart, fortunately at a Spanish service area..

I collected the parts from the road and managed to re assemble but the connecting rod on the solenoid was badly worn and wouldn't re connect to the valve ... hard to explain.. anyway, I effected a repair, a bodge, I drilled the shaft and put a nail though it to hold both parts together and continued the journey home.. A backup plan was to attach a piece of wire and hold the valve open manually .. but the bodge held.

I bought a new valve and solenoid from Cummins when we got back the UK ... £325 ..

Moral .. don't ignore an obvious developing fault.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Had the same problem with one of the boats engines, but you cant stall those !!

Fortunately they have a manual shutoff by pushing the solenoid rod down:thumb:

Peter

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Diesels on the boat eh Peter...:Cool:

Inboard or outboard...

The other way is to fit a fuel shut off valve...either manual or solenoid operated...in the fuel lines.

Any Pics?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I collected the parts from the road and managed to re assemble but the connecting rod on the solenoid was badly worn and wouldn't re connect to the valve ... hard to explain.. anyway, I effected a repair, a bodge, I drilled the shaft and put a nail though it to hold both parts together and continued the journey home.. A backup plan was to attach a piece of wire and hold the valve open manually .. but the bodge held.

much easier 'get around' Jim.....just remove the plunger from the valve and refit the selonoid....but you need to stall the motor every time.
east enough in 3rd or 4th gear.

did it a few times when doing breakdowns on ford diesels.

OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
where is valve is it something I could attack myself as he i'm not a bad hand at motors (old bikes and cars ) bye the bye thanks for the replys :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Mick.

Mine was on the diesel Injection pump body and had a single wire to it.

Do you have a workshop manual for the base vehicle?They are usually very good with schematic drawings/photographs.

It needs to be very near the pump to shut off the flow to the engine virtually instantaneuosly.

Good Luck.

Steve.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
much easier 'get around' Jim.....just remove the plunger from the valve and refit the selonoid....but you need to stall the motor every time.
east enough in 3rd or 4th gear.

did it a few times when doing breakdowns on ford diesels.

Problem wasn't stopping John

On the Cummins, the valve and solenoid are separate parts.. lose the solenoid and the valve closes by itself ..

besides, have you tried stalling an engine with an auto gearbox :roflmto:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Oh to go back to that bit of wire with a big knob on the end marked stop.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Had the same problem on a Scania it saw the pump off as well £2,000 was the bill.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I effected a repair, a bodge, I drilled the shaft and put a nail though it to hold both parts together and continued the journey home.. A backup plan was to attach a piece of wire and hold the valve open manually .. but the bodge held.
This brings to mind some of the temporary bodge jobs I have made to get me home. Some years ago I left my throttle linkage on the motorway 200 miles from home. My bodge was to run a piece of string from the carb butterfly through the side window into the car so that I could control the throttle from inside the car using the string. It got me home but I had a grove cut into my hand from pulling the string.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back