Ferries: different number of passengers inbound/outbound? (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re wanting to bring my son’s exchange partner back with us on the ferry when we return from Germany as he’s staying here for a couple of months to get fluent in English.

The CMC say we can’t have 4 people returning if only 3 go out. They’re happy to add him both ways but not just one.

We’ll ring P&O direct tomorrow but interested if anyone had to do this and how they got round it?

Thanks.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just book him as a foot passenger if P&O won't play if you deal directly with them. You will have to drop him off at the port entrance and do the reverse when you arrive. Obviously you can meet up on the ferry. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Book him as a foot passenger single journey and just drop him off at the terminal and pick him up from terminal the other side ?
He can obviously join you on the crossing but would just have to get on and off the boat on his own.
Edit, I think he could leave the boat with you in your vehicle as number of people in vehicle not checked on leaving.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thanks. We’ll try booking him as a foot passenger but he’s only 15 and I don’t think they allow unaccompanied minors.

The two singles would have been an excellent idea if this hadn’t been an afterthought ... were already booked as a return.

He may have to fly over ... there are a couple of airlines who still take under 16s. Rules seem to have changed in last 12 months. Mits causing problems with our school exchanges as our more experienced kids travel on their own tickets quite a lot.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks. We’ll try booking him as a foot passenger but he’s only 15 and I don’t think they allow unaccompanied minors.

The two singles would have been an excellent idea if this hadn’t been an afterthought ... were already booked as a return.

He may have to fly over ... there are a couple of airlines who still take under 16s. Rules seem to have changed in last 12 months. Mits causing problems with our school exchanges as our more experienced kids travel on their own tickets quite a lot.
That’s a pain, I think you are correct, ferries are not allowed to take unaccompanied under 16s. The fact is though that he won’t be unaccompanied so that’s frustrating.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
2 years ago we did Hull to Zeebrugge return, on the way out it was just the two of us as we where collecting Sophie and her boyfriend up at the end of his Interrailing holiday.

We booked two on way out and 4 way back, if I remember correctly you can tick the box for different details for return journey.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
2 years ago we did Hull to Zeebrugge return, on the way out it was just the two of us as we where collecting Sophie and her boyfriend up at the end of his Interrailing holiday.

We booked two on way out and 4 way back, if I remember correctly you can tick the box for different details for return journey.

Thanks I’m hopeful that contacting P&O direct may help ...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just book him both ways and when check in at UK port just say only 3 of us traveling now.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What Lenny says... Just book him on the outward journey.
If asked he is simply not travelling.. I have done this before and no issues when family have flew out and then travelled back in the motorhome with us.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I did this a few years back, went to the Spa Grand Prix. We went out on the Dover Calais ferry, and did a tour, and eventually collected my brothers, who flew out to Luxembourg. After the GP we all went back on the ferry, it wasn't an issue!
If P&O are being weird, I'd do as above, what are they going to do at check-in, insist you find some extra passengers? I'm sure you can find some outside the port if they really insist! :D

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
What Lenny says... Just book him on the outward journey.
If asked he is simply not travelling.. I have done this before and no issues when family have flew out and then travelled back in the motorhome with us.

OH suggested that but CMC said it would at best cause a hold up and at worst we may not be allowed to travel if the party was not as booked :eek:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
OH suggested that but CMC said it would at best cause a hold up and at worst we may not be allowed to travel if the party was not as booked :eek:

Another reason why I'm not a member of that so called "club"..
Can only state my experience, we always book direct via ferry website.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's just nonsense. I usually travel solo + dog via Dunkirk ,which has no foot passengers. I picked up a hitch hiker some years back & just told them at the check in +1.No problems.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Done this loads with DFDS, never had an issue, 2 out 4 back, 8 out, 2 back, etc. Even had folk jump in and just check in at docks, as long as it was not more than the 'up to ' number of passengers.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As one reply above, buy a foot passenger ticket.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Buy the foot passenger ticket, but let an adult in the party use it to board, and the 15 year old travels in the car. As stated no checks on leaving the boat, so no problem there.

Malcolm

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Hide him in the loo.;);)

He has got a passport hasn't he?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Buy the foot passenger ticket, but let an adult in the party use it to board, and the 15 year old travels in the car. As stated no checks on leaving the boat, so no problem there.

Malcolm
This is what I would do.. :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And if one of the party of four outbound had died, been admitted to hospital or sent to prison hours before travel?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nowadays we have to give passenger info when booking (API) so just turning up with another passenger won't be possible, but booking him for both out and inward, then just having him travelling inward shouldn't cause any issues.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Nowadays we have to give passenger info when booking (API) so just turning up with another passenger won't be possible, but booking him for both out and inward, then just having him travelling inward shouldn't cause any issues.

Unfortunately, P&O are refusing to allow us to amend the booking to include Leo. The only option, they say, is to make a second booking and pay twice. He will need to fly out the night we get back.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately, P&O are refusing to allow us to amend the booking to include Leo. The only option, they say, is to make a second booking and pay twice. He will need to fly out the night we get back.
As CMC are happy to do it, then add him both ways via them, P&O probably aren't interested simply because the original booking was made via a third party so their policy is not to amend it, you'll have to go through the original agent.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
As CMC are happy to do it, then add him both ways via them, P&O probably aren't interested simply because the original booking was made via a third party so their policy is not to amend it, you'll have to go through the original agent.

For CMC, he would need to travel both ways with us but can’t as he lives in Dortmund. He’s just coming to live with us for a couple of months.

OP
OP
Grianan
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Why did you book with C&MC - was it cheaper than direct with the Ferry company ?

Hi yes it was about £50 cheaper than direct ferries. It covered the membership though I’m not sure we’ll use the site network much. We’re new to motorhoming so really trying things out yo see what works best for us.
When we booked we did not know that Leo was wanting to spend next term in Scotland. His mum had broached the idea about a year ago, but I thought she was going to wait until he was older.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think that only applies to air travel.
no ferries are included now. If you do it as & when each time you have to give info when booking or at the check in.If you have an account it does it automatically.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back