Mar 27, 2010
Newbury
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
new to it, upgraded from trailers.
Hi Ya Gang
Anyone a tec on battery chargers/batteries!!
My battery has been playing up (85ah) by discharging quickly. I Unbolted the passenger seat and took out the battery only to find the fluid had evaporated from all but 2 cells.
Not knowing what the charger was (my MH is a Carioca 10 euro lux) i disconnected the charger in my MH and found that its a S.M.E 150, rated at 16A, I'm guessing that my problem is the charger, and is perhaps not switching off, so literally boiling the battery!!
Today i fitted a new 110amp sealed battery from Numax to my MH.

Would a new charger like a Ctek XS 7000 battery charger which is rated at 7A be ok for whats required.

Thanks

ken

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I wouldn't jump to conclusions, when last did you top up the old battery ? If more than a year then there is probably nothing wrong with the charger .
Only certain way to find it is to check the charging voltage and see if it tapers off when fully charged.

If you do have a faulty charger replace with one with at least the same output .. 7amps is too small. ..it would take more than double the time to charge fully than your existing, also bear in mind the existing charger is also a 12v power supply unit..

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Hi Ya Gang
Anyone a tec on battery chargers/batteries!!
My battery has been playing up (85ah) by discharging quickly. I Unbolted the passenger seat and took out the battery only to find the fluid had evaporated from all but 2 cells.
Not knowing what the charger was (my MH is a Carioca 10 euro lux) i disconnected the charger in my MH and found that its a S.M.E 150, rated at 16A, I'm guessing that my problem is the charger, and is perhaps not switching off, so literally boiling the battery!!
Today i fitted a new 110amp sealed battery from Numax to my MH.

Would a new charger like a Ctek XS 7000 battery charger which is rated at 7A be ok for whats required.

Thanks

ken

I don't know how old the battery was but I bet the plates have shorted at the bottom with the normal silt and that's the cause not the charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Being a mere woman maybe I should keep my mouth shut----but shouldn't you be using a Gel battery?:Eeek:

Not at all .. you have every right to ask .. but where did you read that advice ?

GEL are expensive, give poor performance and unnecessary .. the only people who advocate buying for a MH are the manufacturers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back